« 1 (2)

Re: New Member Introduction;

From Philadelphia
Welcome!

Posted on: 2013/11/22 10:18

From Skwentna / Wasilla, Alaska
Hi Eunan,

I joined this board so I might have a look at some photos and hear some talk about the area where I grew up and spent many days.... well, years fishing. I also had sent an inquiry to the administrators regarding the rates for advertising sponsorship here but we don't have that sorted yet.

Do you post your flies here? I was going to put some pictures of a few Grayling and trout up but didn't have any on my desktop to upload. I take it that this site doesn't use Photo Bucket image hosting for pictures, is that correct?

Ard

Posted on: 2013/11/24 3:41

From Butler, Pa
I use photo bucket to copy links. The img code I copy, but when you paste make sure you lower case both IMG to img.

[URL=http://s1235.photobucket.com/user/Jeremy_Gohn/media/2F124E9C-BA9A-49BE-9C12-FEB7A4AEDF60.jpg.html][IMG]http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff424/Jeremy_Gohn/2F124E9C-BA9A-49BE-9C12-FEB7A4AEDF60.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Won't upload, but when lower cased will

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/11/24 6:02

From North East PA
Welcome Ard

Still a newcomer to fly-fishing and this board, but it's a great bunch of people with stories and knowledge shared.

Posted on: 2013/11/24 6:15

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From West Chester,PA
Welcome aboard,Ard.
I have made some great friends as a result of this forum.In general,the helping hand is there,the advice is vg, and the knowledge level is very high.
Tom

Posted on: 2013/11/28 13:12

Well Hey Everyone!

Sorry for not checking in but my computer time has been spread pretty thin the past week. Thanks to all of you for the welcoming, I should expect nothing less from the Keystone Folks :)

Resized Image

That's a shot from June taken from my boat while headed to the cabin and some salmon and trout fishing. The mountains are Foraker on the left (17,402') and Denali to the right (20,322') From where I took the picture I am about 125 miles away from them as the crow flies, I think.........

The river boat trip to the cabin is a 77 mile one way ride and then to the river I fish most another 28.5 miles, those are river miles logged on a Garmin. Imagine that, 100+ miles in an open hull 18.5 foot ATEC Marine Sockeye with a tunnel hull and a 90 HP Honda jet pushing you.

I am very fortunate to be doing this and I know it. Believe me, all my years hiking, pack camping the state forests and floating / boating the beautiful state of Pennsylvania gave me my training for this. Every trip is an adventure, and now that I know how to paste pictures here I'll share some of what I see and do here.

The rivers are ready for travel right now but we need snow. In winter I use a snowmachine to get there. By snow it is a shorter trip than by boat, I make it in 73 miles. The cabin is built of spruce logs cut on site and I've been working on it for 7 years now. It still isn't finished because everything is harder in the Bush. Just getting materials - tools - fuel, and yourself there is quite a job.

Anyway, thanks to all who posted and I'll update with some threads soon.

Ard

Posted on: 12/1 2:30

From Monessen, PA
I'd love to see pictures of your cabin, if you care to share them with us. Welcome aboard.

Posted on: 12/1 9:09

-- Leo Tolstoy

Hi Jack,

I'll get to it soon, telling the story of the work out there takes more than one thread so it may become a series of threads. Winter is when the freight hauling happens, I expect to have a new freight sled this year capable of hauling a ton of cargo. That will help with getting fuel out there. Taking drums in over the snow is the easiest way to stock the place for summer. I use the cabin as a base camp from ice out until the rivers drop in the fall. Because of the distances being traveled by boat to reach the various rivers and creeks for fishing you need a lot of gas on hand.

I took this when returning from a snowshoe trip just last March I think. It gets really cold out there like you may have herd about in Alaska, temps as low as -45 are not uncommon and the snow can be very deep.

Resized Image

This was done a couple years ago in much better conditions.

Resized Image

This past year I've done a lot of work clearing more land around the building. This winter I am wiring it so we will have light for the first time. I've spent the months December - March there many times but never with lights.

Ard

Posted on: 12/1 15:31

From Monessen, PA
Very nice. Thanks.

Posted on: 12/1 20:01

-- Leo Tolstoy

You may find this an interesting aside to the place. Where it is at you can drive 7 miles via snowmachine and park beside the Iditarod Trail every March and watch all the teams go by. It's not a big deal to see Jeff King or Lance Macky on the river training when the Great Race is right around the corner.

The part I don't like is that the Iron Dog Race runs the same trail. Iron Dog is a snowmachine race from Wasilla / Big Lake, to Nome and then to Fairbanks. When the race is on all the wannabe's come raising the devil out there in the bush. Snowmachines are a way of life here but when you build a place 77 miles off the road system and the grid you really don't want to wake up to the sound of them tearing through your woods...............

Yeah, I'm one of those guys who goes out there for quiet.

Love the turkeys on your avatar

Posted on: 12/2 0:02

From Pittsburgh
Welcome aboard Ard.

Posted on: 12/3 12:55

Thanks Truk,

I'm not posting much because I am not current with what is happening there. Pennsylvania fishing is my fondest memory, that's what brought me to this board. I just stop by and browse the threads to see if people talk about places I know well.

I wish there were more pictures being posted.

Ard

Posted on: 12/4 23:58

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Goal during a day on the water....
Catching a single fish makes me happy 19% (18)
I want to catch every fish in the stream 4% (4)
50 dinks is a dream day 2% (2)
Only want to catch big fish 9% (9)
Catching the toughest fish in the steam is my goal 4% (4)
Beautiful place, hit the hatch and whatever happens, happens 29% (27)
Who cares? It beats work. 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/11/27 22:13
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com