Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

New Member - feeling guilty

From DElaware
Hello All,

I have been an avid follower of your forum for the past few years and login almost daily to help stave off my fishing bug. I am always impressed by the level of knowledge and enthusiasm around our sport displayed here- you guys do a great job. I have started feeling guilty for always consuming knowledge as an outsider but never contributing. So today i decided to finally emerge from the shadows and introduce myself and hopefully become a more active participant.

I live in Delaware but went to college and lived in Lock Haven for 6+ years(yes I stayed after..but yes it took me a while to graduate as well) I fished Fishing Creek mostly but have spent a ton of time on Spring, Kettle, Young Womans and all of the tribs around them. My family has a camp on Kettle near Cross Forks so I grew up on Brookies (like most) and a short 3 wt. I actually never knew much about spinning rods until I came back and did some bass fishing with local buddies.

I tie daily and have amassed (what my wife calls) way too much material. I could seriously never use it all. A few years back I had the privilege of purchasing a family friends life supply of materials which amounted to enough bins that my 4-runner with the seats down could not fit it in one trip. I never knew the man but based on what I see in this collection, he traveled PA extensively and lived in Pottstown for at least a part of his life. The coolest part about having this collection has been going through it and piecing together the different trips he took, his progression in tying and the people he met along the way(he chronicled many of his travels). So, a bit of a hail mary, but did anyone on here know or meet a man named Mark Mohrman in their travels? It would be great to add some context to what I have learned about him so far. I need to get rid of some of the material just so it doesnt get wasted so I will get a list together later.... but there are around 150 hackles, 1000s of yarns and furs, whole hides and a huge bin labeled "exotic and unusual" basically anything else you could dream of ( oh and a brand new Renzetti Rod Lathe with all of the bells and whistles). for a later time.....

Living in DE now, I do a bit of inshore saltwater angling but do my best to get on trout streams when possible. Whether its the Gunpowder, Savage or some of my old PA favorites, I hope I can be of some help.

Anyhow, thanks for all of the hours of reading- I am looking forward to the chance to fish and learn from some of you in the future.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:39

Re: New Member - feeling guilty

From Pittsburgh
Welcome. No need to feel guilty as long as you have enjoyed the site.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 11:52

From Ohio
Welcome!!

Posted on: 2013/7/19 12:14

Welcome! If you have nothing to do Sat July 27th take a ride up to Allentown early in the AM and join the group from here during the Trico fest.Details are on the meetings forum. Delaware is not that far.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 13:13

From Philadelphia
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
Welcome! If you have nothing to do Sat July 27th take a ride up to Allentown early in the AM and join the group from here during the Trico fest.Details are on the meetings forum. Delaware is not that far.

By all means join us but just to make sure you do not miss it, the thread is titled "Fish N Chips"

BTW, welcome and I hope you have as much fun meeting and fishing with some of these guys as I have.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 14:39

From DElaware
Allentown is a breeze. inlaws live a stones throw from the Monocacy. I will do my best to come up. I will be fishing the area tomorrow morning for a bit as well.

Where is the best place to list some of these materials I need to get rid of? I have them all packed and preserved nicely but I would feel much better if someone else had a chance to enjoy them. I really dont need 12 grizzly hackles or the 8 matching soft hackle sets... Oh and there are three Cree hackles in there as well.....

Posted on: 2013/7/19 16:06

Bring a bunch of stuff up on the 27th,it might be of interest to the group after the fishing is over and the chowing is in progress.Also the fly shop might take some off your hands,give him a yell.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 17:13

From Philadelphia
That would be great for the Fish N Chips crowd. Perfect suggestion. Also, you could put some stuff in the swap forum. Maybe you could work a trade for something you need.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 19:21

From North East PA
Welcome to the Jungle.

Hope to see you at the F & C event.

Posted on: 2013/7/19 21:20

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Philadelphia
Welcome, DEFly. I don't usually have much to say but I do thoroughly enjoy reading what these very smart and enthusiastic folks have to say.
Coughlin

Posted on: 2013/7/20 8:59

From Lewistown, PA
Welcome to the forum. I'm relatively new, and have found it really helpful as well. If you need to get rid of some grizzly hackles... I could probably take one off your hands. If you venture to the fly tying section you may see my post about not wanting to spend a ton of money on hackles, and trying to do without. ;)

But seriously, welcome to the forum.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 9:04

From Monessen, PA
DEfLY,

Welcome to PAFF. Participation in threads isn't mandatory, but to get full enjoyment of a forum such as this, you have to participate on some level or other posters cannot really get to know you. We are more than our biographies.

As for disposing of your excess material, you can use the swap forum, or Craigslist or eBay if you primarily wish to sell. I would use eBay, because you can ship tying material cheap and that market will be much larger than our swap forum.

Another idea, if you were so inclined is to look for a way to give some of it away, such as making several small kits for a beginner and finding people new to the sport and art who might be forever grateful for a small variety of items that might give them a start in the practice.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 9:09

-- Leo Tolstoy

From NW Penna
PHW can always use materials....

Posted on: 2013/7/20 10:10

From Philadelphia
Welcome to the forum.

Its fun.

Posted on: 2013/7/24 11:53

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com