Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Neat to see the difference in a fish since January

From Portage, PA
I hit my honey hole on the LC yesterday after some running, taking the baby to the doctors, and micsellanous honey-dos. I arrived at 5:00 and stayed until about 7:00. I landed a few on an egg pattern, and 2 on my hares ear variation. I am trying to get down my czech nymphing skills but lost all of my anchor flies. I had taken a section of my bait fishing stuff, barrel swivles, but some old splitshots were also in this container. I used the barrel swivel like a tippet ring to connect my sighter and tippet together. It worked pretty well. I had a sz 14 BHPT with a Hare's Ear Variation under it. I had put one of these big old shiny splitshot in between to get these light weight flies down.

First drift with this "rig" good old chunk hammered it. This fish gets its name from the chunk out of its tail. After a fun fight and long runs i landed it. It was neat to see how much weight the fish put on since January. I also liked seeing the drastic color change the fish has gone through as well. The picture with the silver reel was from yesterday, and the black is from January. It may be tough to tell how much the fish actually put on by the pictures but I can assure you he had been eating more. I imagine the the warmer water temps, and increased insect activity are the reason for this. Any Idea of why the fish has changed into the deeper colors, spawning, diet change, water temp change. I will also note that the stream was lower yesterday as well.

I am glad to see this guy made it through the tougest part of winter. It was nice to know that this fish was the same one I had caught in January. I wonder if some one "marked" this fish or if it was an old hatchery injury. Reguardless I cant wait to land him again, and see how much more weight he will put pack on.

Attach file:

jpg  chunk.jpg (122.90 KB)
3478_515587960dc25.jpg 960X720 px

jpg  edit1.jpg (174.65 KB)
3478_515587d2abd28.jpg 612X459 px

Posted on: 2013/3/29 8:32

Re: Neat to see the difference in a fish since January

From Chester County
Nice fish. I was out for some wild browns yesterday, and was suprised how differently color-wise the fish looked since late November. My thought is that it's because of more insect activity.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 9:30

Re: Neat to see the difference in a fish since January

From Portage, PA
I actually missed a wild brown from the LC yesterday. I set the hook and watched a 4" brown flop out of the water. He hit a size 18 zebra midge. I am wondering if he is the offspring of the nice brownie I landed last month. Great to see them reproducing.

Posted on: 2013/3/29 9:45

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com