Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: NY salmon

From Landenberg, PA
i use a 14ft DH rod on small creeks for Salmon in Ireland - not to cast long but to stop the fish running. as long as you have 3ft behind you, you should be able to double spey

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:06

My view is that the Salmon R is the most reliable - from mid September through mid May you can be pretty sure that something will be in, high water or low. That is why the crowds are there as well. Plus it is easy to find info on the Salmon. There aren't any secret spots on the Salmon. I guess that's the same for the Niagara, but it is so big it is intimidating to me.

The smaller tribs all have fish and are a blast. First issue is that you need good water levels for them to fish well. Too high or too low and it is tough and the fish will run back out if conditions aren't right. Also, the smaller the trib the harder it is to find information about it. Sound like native brookie fishing? Therefore, generally need to do some exploring on the smaller water. That takes time, but it is something most people don't do and you may find a hole with a pod of fish in all to yourself. However, on occasion if the word goes out a bunch of locals can crowd a hole as well. Some tribs coming off the Tug Hill Plateau look like mountain brookie streams. Catching 10 lbs fish in a stream where a 10 incher is usually considered a big fish can be a riot - if you catch it.

You know there will be fish in the Salmon - but so does everyone else. The smaller tribs take more work to uncover, but have their own rewards and less crowds.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 19:30

From Southeastern Pa
GULFGREY

if your thinking close to turkey day I could do 2 days up there. I'd be down with a trip like say NOV 23.

let me know.

Posted on: 2013/7/20 23:05

From Bushkill
i go to pulaski and yes last years run was EPIC. if you go consider fishing thr Douglas Salmon Run, it is a pay access area but it is the first 2.5 miles of the river and the fish are fresher, havent seen tons of flies thrown at them and the crowds are half. the rest of the river will be crowded, go on you tube and look up town pool and u will see. the prime holes will have guys sitting in them by 4:30 in the morning. im going last week of september. Best fishing for salmon up there is last 2 weeks of Sept and the First 2 Weeks of october. Steelhead start coming in around late the first week of October. Look for a room now if you are going to stay the night as they will be hard to come by

Posted on: 2013/7/21 6:44

From Greenville PA
thanks for all the info fellas...lots of stuff here...will probly fish smaller creeks jus cause i cant stand being in a zoo...as for rooms i plan on camping or sleeping in the truck...egg patterns?

Posted on: 2013/7/21 14:24

From Southwestern NY
egg patterns are weak! this will get ya fish!!!

http://www.paflyfish.com/forums/open- ... ing/jock-scott-2%2F0---/5,31129.html

Posted on: 2013/7/21 14:32

From Greenville PA
dj, that link jus takes u to PAFF home page lol

Posted on: 2013/7/21 17:55

wetboot, don't count the river out because of crowds. Just like fishing anywhere, if you walk a little and can read the water you can find fish and get away from the crowds. I think for a newcomer to salmon fishing, the small creeks will be harder for you to find fish and don't forget it takes alot less fishermen to crowd those small streams........good luck

Posted on: 2013/7/21 18:49

From Southwestern NY
eunanhendrion

Look up this guys flies in the tying forum.

Posted on: 2013/7/21 19:05

From florida
Tim,that's to late in Nov. for me. I had late October,early November in mind. My last years trip coincided with the steelhead jam. It worked out well time wise,but the fish were scarce due to low water. GG

Posted on: 2013/7/21 21:29

If you're in Western PA, some of the NY Erie tribs might be a closer options then the Ontario tribs. But if you're really interested in Ontario and interested in some other locations besides The Salmon River, send me a PM.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 8:29

From Philadelphia PA
Biggie: When It's a Salmon run it is "read the fins".

Posted on: 2013/7/23 12:25
"I am respected when I walk into any fly shop. Salespeople wait on me hand and waders. I once tried underwater casting just to see if I could. I am the most admired Fly Fisherman in the world. And when I fly-fish, I use the Orvis Access. Stay Fishing MF

From LV
Quote:

troutwilleatflies wrote:
If you want to fish the prime time,mid Sept to mid Oct,you better make plans soon and book a room now if you can.

+1 on the timing.

Posted on: 2013/7/23 17:34

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com