Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: NO MORE STOCKING!!!!!

From Downingtown
I wonder what a year round trout season would be like? No opening day and the trout would be stocked at various dates during the year....mostly fall and spring when the water has good temps and flow.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 9:15

From Landenberg, PA
i wonder what would happen if you made it no stocking, and C&R only ALO...apart from kids ponds...

would we see more angler initiatives to improve more waters or the angler numbers drop off a cliff ?

i do wonder about how after rearing, hatchery operating costs, man hours, transport and distribution, how much is actually left for enhancement and enforcement ?

it would be an interesting experiment i think. and anyone caught in possession with a trout would be put in the stocks streamside and thrashed with a wet lettuce....

and of course banning stocking would put paid to private clubs buying up waters like spring ridge does.

not many downsides imho.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 12:43

From Portage, PA
"i wonder what would happen if you made it no stocking, and C&R only ALO...apart from kids ponds...

would we see more angler initiatives to improve more waters or the angler numbers drop off a cliff ?

i do wonder about how after rearing, hatchery operating costs, man hours, transport and distribution, how much is actually left for enhancement and enforcement ?

it would be an interesting experiment i think. and anyone caught in possession with a trout would be put in the stocks streamside and thrashed with a wet lettuce....

and of course banning stocking would put paid to private clubs buying up waters like spring ridge does.

not many downsides imho."

just that bait anglers would not be able to fish

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:04

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:

mike_richardson wrote:

just that bait anglers would not be able to fish

good point, but i believe bait rods work with lures. if they want to bait fish they can fish ponds.

fly and lure guys couldn't take fish either, which i'm sure some people would not be happy about - but if the fishing was better the sacrifices would be worth it imho.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:18

Montana halted stocking in streams many years ago. It's trout fishing just got better and better. And the fishing pressure on many of Montana's best known streams has increased tremendously.

You say we can't match Montana: Anybody been to Spring Creek during the sulfur hatch lately? Or when the Green Drakes are hatching on Penns Creek and Fishing Creek. And how about the upper Delaware? Just to mention a few of the best.

And we have thousands of miles of relatively untouched wild brook and brown trout streams that aren't stocked and offer great fishing. I know, because I fish them. And that doesn't count the ones near the road that would improve tremendously if stocking were halted.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:22

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I'll put it into the perspective of someone who doesn't live very close to any wild trout streams in PA.

I wouldn't have gotten into fly fishing, and if stocking stopped, it would be very difficult for me to keep up with it. I can hit exactly 1 stream in about an hour drive that has wild fish. My fishing would be cut down to about 25% at the most and I would probably give up trout fishing minus a few outings every year. That would suck.

Why do we "fly fishermen" always feel so priveliged? I know some fantastic bait anglers who catch and release, and are very talented. Also know that my kids wouldn't be able to trout fish for several years until they could handle a fly rod. We don't always like them, but what gives us the right to say that someone who fishes 1-2 weekends a year isn't allowed to do so any more. I see 1 Penguin game in person about every 2 years. Does that make me less of a fan? The high horse is a dangerous place to be because it's a bigger fall.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 13:37

I'm all for stocking streams that cannot support naturally reproducing trout. But we stock many miles of streams that have good populations of wild trout and would be much better if they weren't being stocked and plundered every spring.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:14

Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:

Why do we "fly fishermen" always feel so priveliged? I know some fantastic bait anglers who catch and release, and are very talented. Also know that my kids wouldn't be able to trout fish for several years until they could handle a fly rod. We don't always like them, but what gives us the right to say that someone who fishes 1-2 weekends a year isn't allowed to do so any more. I see 1 Penguin game in person about every 2 years. Does that make me less of a fan? The high horse is a dangerous place to be because it's a bigger fall.

Many states have got out of stocking streams altogether or greatly reduced it. That is one choice in trout management.

Another choice is to maintain a large hatchery program, such as PA's. There are pros and cons of both approaches.

And there are sincere proponents of these approaches, both in PA and in other states. Among anglers, and also within the fisheries management field, i.e. the fisheries management people who work for the agencies, and among those who teach fisheries management in the universities.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:14

From Portage, PA
"good point, but i believe bait rods work with lures. if they want to bait fish they can fish ponds.

fly and lure guys couldn't take fish either, which i'm sure some people would not be happy about - but if the fishing was better the sacrifices would be worth it imho."

better fishing for whom? Telling people that they can no longer fish streams and only ponds is probably the dumbest thing I have ever head. I am moving more towards being "pro-dhalo" but shutting down all PA trout streams from bait fishing is about the most rediculous thing I have heard.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:29

From S.E. PA
That would be the end of trout fishing if they stopped stocking.
Troutbert,do those states require a trout stamp ?

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:37

From Ephrata, PA
No it wouldn't.

What about the option of leaving stocking up to local governments? Counties and whatnot, instead of a huge, state ran program? Also, private sporting clubs wouldn't stop stocking just because the State stops. Ryan, your situation is one to consider, but I also get KenU's point. KenU and I both know a stream here that has a solid population of natives, and yet is stocked over. It makes me nervous because the stream gets POUNDED the first few days. There are some bigger brookies in the stream, and I hate to think of them being harvested along side the stocked bows. Not to mention the amount of trash I find myself picking up after opening weekend.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:45

Quote:

ratgunner wrote:

Troutbert,do those states require a trout stamp ?

I don't know the license requirements of the various states.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 14:56

From Portage, PA
SAS,

Not sure that would be the best idea either. If it is county by county, then would lower populations counties see less stocking. For instance, Potter county. I imagine Potter makes more money on the opening weekend of trout than any other day of the year, in conjunction with deer, bear, and turkey openers. The attraction to this area if there were minimal stocking opportunities could be detrimental to their economy.

I go up there with other R&R things on my mind, but others may go up just to fish.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 15:17

From Ephrata, PA
I don't live in Potter, so I'm not going to guess on their local economy, but here is a county where many of us would say the LAST thing they need is stocked trout!

I do doubt they make more money on the first day of trout than they do on deer season, etc.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 15:21

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Quote:
I'm all for stocking streams that cannot support naturally reproducing trout. But we stock many miles of streams that have good populations of wild trout and would be much better if they weren't being stocked and plundered every spring.

KenU, that is a VERY different proposition than what the OP suggested.

Mike Richardson, FWIW, not that I would support this to begin with, but if they did stop/significantly slow stocking and make everything C&R, I wouldn't support it all being ALO. I probably wouldn't support AT C&R on a statewide basis either, but it would pique my interest.

Here's what I would support:

Expand the class A criteria, to include current class B's and perhaps even some C's. IMO these are viable wild trout sport fisheries. Class A's already can't be stocked, with a very few exceptions, so that doesn't have to change.

Then make all class A's AT C&R. Everything else is ok as it is.

Posted on: 2013/4/3 15:28

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com