NC PA Fall Trip

klingy

klingy

I had a chance to get away with my Pops for a long weekend (Oct. 3-5), and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to hit North Central PA. I love fishing in the fall, and this part of the state is one of my favorites this time of year (well, any time of year really). A strong cold front was forecasted for Saturday, so I wasn't sure what to expect once that came through. It ended up being an amazing weekend with a lot of fish caught, and some great scenery taken in.

We camped at Penn Roosevelt State Park, which turned out to be a great base camp for exploring a lot of the streams we wanted to hit. Secluded and quiet (though I've heard that's not always the case on football weekends at PSU), and was nice to come back to in the evening.

Day 1 - Decided to start on Penns, and was expecting low and clear water, which is exactly what we got. Caught a decent number of fish though (probably about 10 each), mostly on nymphs. Did find some risers in the afternoon. They were coming up after something small and gray (either the small caddis coming off, or bwos I think). Got a couple to take a size 16 parachute adams in spectacular fashion. A lot of jumping out of the water takes and a lot of misses as well. Was a great day in a beautiful setting.

Day 2 - The front passed through in the morning, and we had some rain overnight. We hit the Little J early, and fished all day. Wasn't sure what to expect, but the fish were on for most of the day. Had one of my best days on that river, and caught fish in all sizes. Landed a couple bruisers on nymphs, and one on a streamer. The cold didn't seem to put them down - if anything, they really put the feed bags on.

Day 3 - Heading for Spring Creek early, and got a few hours of fishing in. Spooked a ton of fish, and only landed a few. They didn't really seem to want much of anything. Hit Kish on the way home, and covered some beautiful water and managed a couple beautiful browns. A nice end to another great outing in the mountains.

Attachments

• Penns Brown.jpg
    Penns Brown.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 9
  • Penns Adams1.jpg
    Penns Adams1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 3
  • Penns Adams2.jpg
    Penns Adams2.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Penns.jpg
    Penns.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 6
  • Penns Surprise.jpg
    Penns Surprise.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Upclose.jpg
    Upclose.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 5
  • Upclose 2.jpg
    Upclose 2.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 5
  • Little J Bridge.jpg
    Little J Bridge.jpg
    42.7 KB · Views: 3
  • Little J Bow.jpg
    Little J Bow.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 2
  • Little J Brown.jpg
    Little J Brown.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 2
  • Little J Butter.jpg
    Little J Butter.jpg
    43.1 KB · Views: 2
  • Little J Close.jpg
    Little J Close.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 2
  • Little J Fish Bridge.jpg
    Little J Fish Bridge.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 4
  • Little J Halos.jpg
    Little J Halos.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 4
  • Little J Leaves.jpg
    Little J Leaves.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Little J Pig.jpg
    Little J Pig.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 3
  • Nice Brown.jpg
    Nice Brown.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 4
  • Kish.jpg
    Kish.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Kish Brown.jpg
    Kish Brown.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 3
  • Kish 2.jpg
    Kish 2.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 2
  • Spring.jpg
    Spring.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 5
  • Spring Bron.jpg
    Spring Bron.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 3
That bow is absolutely beautiful. Looks like hes been feeding and holding over well. Soon enough it will be time for the egg patterns!! ( you guys may hate them but they catch a ton of fish). Looks like a sweet trip.-Kev

It looks like you could not have picked a better weekend. Those browns are really impressive but the coloration on the bow is somthing else. Nice Job!

Looks like it was a perfect weekend and spent with your pops.

I'd put money on that bow being wild. Very nice pics!

Back