My trip to Grand Cayman 2014 w/pics

jhedge

jhedge

This past year was my first year fly fishing and most of what I've learned has come from the help of members of this forum. I've had a blast getting to know all of you and just wanted to say thank you for all the events put together and willingness to help out the newbies.

This January I had a family vacation scheduled to Grand Cayman. I've been there one time prior but never fly fished there. This time was gonna be different though!

After some research and talking to a few members on here I decided to book a guide early on in the trip then take what he taught me and fish on my own the rest of the time. From a members recomendation I contacted a local guide Randy Parchment. Randy was a great guide and super knowledgable and helpful. He kept in contact with me during my whole trip giving me tips on where to fish and who to purchase some local flies from. He also helped with other touristy things on the island. For our guided trip he took me to the flats of Rum point and definitely got me on some bonefish.

I wasn't able to connect on any fish that trip but not for lack of trying on both Randy and my part. With the knowledge I gained I was ready to hit the flats on my own. I mainly fished at Rum point due to the wind directions of the week. It was the calmest portion of the island and the fish were definitely there. After a few hours on my own over the next couple of days I started realizing why bonefish are referred to as the "gray ghost". They are very difficult to spot moving across the flats. Once you manage to spot them and stalk within casting distance you had to be spot on and delicate in your presentation. I busted many a group of feeding fish by casting too close or plopping my line down too hard on the water. Once that wrong move was made those fish scattered! I stuck with it though and on my third outing finally landed my first bonefish! They are every bit as powerful as people say. That fish snapped the line right out of my fingers and took off! After a few runs though he was mine.

Throughout the trip I managed to land 4 bonefish and a few other random fish.
All the bonefish were on the smaller side. I saw a few bigger ones and got one to chase my shrimp pattern but never took it. I also went out a few times for smaller tarpon in some of their salt ponds but never got lucky. I had a hit on a popper there but no hook up. I had a blast fishing for bones and look forward to the next time I can get somewhere tropical.

For those interested I used a TFO BVK 9ft 8wt rod and reel. It performed flawlessly for me and I was able to get some good distance out of my casts. As for flying I was able to take my rod and reel as a carry on from here to Grand Cayman. However, upon return since it is a British island the rules were different and I had to put it in my larger suitcase under the plane. If anyone wants any more info feel free to pm me. And here’s a few more pics from the trip.

Wow! Way cool..uh...hot! Great post to read and pics to see while riding out a snowstorm. Thanks for sharing.

Nice report...and some much needed stuff to make us dream about warmer places.

Congrats on your first bonefish. Glad to see how connecting with the PAFF community has enriched your FFing experience.
DaveW

Very nice. I feel warmer already just looking at those pics! And a little jealous . . .

Very nice. Thanks for sharing!

great pics, and i'm glad you connected with Randy. did you go for some Rum afterwards LOL.

Mark

Yeah I figured while I'm sitting here at work during the snow storm would be the perfect time to finally do this write up. 80's sun and sand sound way better right now!

Mark--of course! He was as great guy. He still keeps in contact with me.

Looks awesome. I'm looking forward to a salty trip some time in the near future.

Very cool. Congrats on the bonefish.

Jhedge,

Good day to be sharing those pictures. Looks like you had good trip to the Grand Cayman. Enjoy the PAFF sticker on your rod case.

Dave

Thank you, thank you , thank you. Given today, your post was really appreciated.

Nice Post!

Very cool, love the pics. In a couple looks like you almost have the place to yourself.

I did have the place to myself in most of the sections I fished. I would go out around 7:30am and people wouldn't start showing up till around 10. I never saw another fly fisher the whole trip. I sure wish I was back there instead of shoveling this snow!

Back