My Montana Trip 9/28, 29, 30 2015

Aducker

Aducker

I’m fairly new to fly fishing and found the paflyfisher.com site about 4 years ago I began reading everything on the forums, posting questions and taking advantage of what the site had to offer. I attended my first newbie jam in spring of 2012. Then a brush up jam that summer and another fall brush up the same year. Since then I have been attending the mini jams and have attended the main jam the past two years. In this short amount of time I learned so much, met many people who spent time answering questions and taking time to show me how to fly fish.

So this past winter I felt I was ready to plan a trip to Montana. Not that I would consider myself an accomplished fly fisher, but still thought I was ready to fish Montana with some success. Searching our forum for information on where to go and when to go it seamed like July was the best time to go but I couldn’t make this July and I found hints of information that were saying fall was also a great time to go. So fall it was. Now knowing when I could go it was time to find a guide service. I did more research on our forum and the internet and decided on using our very own site sponsor “Montana Angler Fly Fishing”

My experience with Montana Anglers was perfect right from the beginning. In August I filled out their web form and was immediately contacted by Brian McGeehan, the owner of the guide service. We spoke about my fishing experiences and what kind of trip I was looking for. Within 20 minutes I booked my trip on the phone for late September. We confirmed and finalized all the details with a couple emails, including my lodging. A coupe weeks prior to the trip I was contacted again to confirm everything, make sure I had any questions answered and to obtain my guides name and contact information.

On September 27th I left for 3 days of guided fishing in Montana. I stayed in the Murray Hotel in Livingston, which I found to be very nice. Brian had booked an excellent room for me. I was contacted by my guide, Tony Nahorny, the afternoon of my arrival and again confirmed my Monday morning meeting and fishing.

My first day of fishing was terrific. I fished alone with Tony. We drifted the Yellowstone River north of the park. I explained my skill level and what I was unable to do. Tony and I began a 3 day adventure that I will always remember. We gelled like we had known each other all our lives. Tony was patient with me as he taught me how to catch trout bigger than I ever had before. He showed me everything and his goal was to make sure I had a good time and caught fish. We drifted and fished and also got out of the boat and fished the riffles. All day long I caught fish after fish and I was learning how to land the big trout on a big river. For a beginner like me this was a dream to be able to do this in my short few years of fly fishing.

The second day we fished a private ranch on the Mussleshell River. We had another great day of fishing. We also fished a large pond on the ranch and caught some huge fish.

We had no set place to fish the 3rd day. My guide pretty much was seeing how I was doing and what type of fishing I liked as we fished and talked on day 1 and day 2. So on the 3rd day Tony said he had someplace special to fish. When we arrived it was like he had read my mind. We fished another private access river in a deep canyon that we hiked down to. Again I caught a lot of fish and had wonderful day fishing.

Thanks paflyfish.com and what everyone does to contribute to help a new person like me to the sport and thanks to Montana Anglers for making my first trip to Montana a great experience.

Below are some pictures from my trip.

Jeff

Attachments

• yelowstone1.jpg
    yelowstone1.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 11
  • yellowstone2.jpg
    yellowstone2.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 5
  • yellowstone3.jpg
    yellowstone3.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 6
  • day2a.jpg
    day2a.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 4
  • day2b.jpg
    day2b.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 3
  • day3a.jpg
    day3a.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 2
  • day3b.jpg
    day3b.jpg
    141.9 KB · Views: 3
  • day3c.jpg
    day3c.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 3
Great stuff Jeff, and congrats on that brookie

Awesome! Sounds like a great time, and some nice fish.

That day 2 brookie b is magnificent! Congrats!

Looks like a great trip. Congrats on some awesome fish.

GenCon

What a terrific report! Glad to see you had a great trip - a FFer's first trip to the West is always an eye opening experience.

Thanks for the kind words about Paflyfish as well, and Kudos to MT Angler Fly Fishing for their support and for showing you a perfect trip.

You made my morning! Sounds like a wonderful trip. I envy you. Thanks for sharing this.

Looks like a fantastic trip. Thanks for posting!

Jeff,

Wow! What an awesome experience. Absolutely gorgeous country and beautiful fish. Thanks for sharing your experience and photos with us. Posts like this continue to give me hope that someday I may be able to see this beautiful area of our Country and tangle with a few big western trout on the fly rod as well. Great trip. Congrats!

John

Wow, that day 2 brookie wins!! Nice report, thanks for sharing!

What a great report. Thanks for sharing! Glad to hear everything worked out with Brian and Montana Angler's crew.

and as an old Montana resident I can assure you, you picked the best time- less crowded-awesome weather and the big ones are starting to move-wish I was young enough to go back and do it all over again.

Jeff

Great write-up and photos. Really enjoyed reading about your experience!

Thanks for posting!

The day 3 stream is absolutely gorgeous! Beautiful water and very fishy looking. Those two brook trout are real trophies. I've fished in Montana/Wyoming almost every year since 1968 and the only brookies I ever caught were 8" - 10" up in the Gibbon Meadows in YNP. Great to see your dreams were fulfilled.

Very cool, Jeff. So happy you got to do that! Congrats.

Jeff you are lucky you didn't go in July. English Prof and I went and I took my first born son. We fished the Bitterroot for the second year in a row. Water was very low. "Skinny water" as they call it out there. In fact there were "Hoot Owl" restrictions on some of the rivers and creeks. Fishing was tough. The most significant memory of this trip for me was bringing my son and introducing him to Montana fishing. We have already booked next years trip but this time with wives and other family members. Some who will fish and some who will hike and ride horses. Here is a pic of my son and I at the Painted Rocks reservoir.

Attachments

• Sean and I.jpg
    Sean and I.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
Nice report, and glad to hear that you had such aa enjoyable trip.

The rivers were running very low when you were there so it is especially good to hear that you were able to catch such nice fish. I spend the entire summer right in the Yellowstone River, not far south of Livingston, and I can tell you the fishing was very difficult for us by mid-September.

About the time you were there, my friend and I were over on the Madison, tackling some of the big runners that move out of Hebgen and Quake lakes in the fall to spawn. For those that haven't been to Montana, there are plenty of places to go, and opportunities to catch that fish of your dreams. And as Jeff's pictures attest, the scenery alone is worth the trip.

John

great stuff jeff .... glad the trip was a success on many levels

Back