Mt. Desert Island,Maine

ihrtffishing

ihrtffishing

On August 14 the families heading out to maine for a vacation. I would like to know about any freshwater fishing around or on the island. I dont know anything about the island so any advice is welcome. Also, any flies to tie, fish to expect etc... I only have my 5 wt. to bring so Ill be spin fishing the ocean.HELP IS VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!!!

There are plenty of ponds around the island, but I didn't get a chance to fish them.

Here's a link to Acadia's fishing info: http://www.nps.gov/acad/planyourvisit/fishing.htm

I have heard rumors of brook trout streams. Driving around the island, I saw a few that looked promising, but I was on a girlfriend-centric vacation.

It's a beautiful place. One of my favorites.

There is one stream on the south side of the island that has some brookies - called Stanley Brook.
But it was closed to fishing last summer when I was there.
I think that they were giving the fish a break from angling to try and get them better established.
I have no idea what the status is this year.

Other than that, I don't know of any other stream trout fishing there

Check out the ponds ,might be too far north for stripers if you llike saltwater.I'm usually there in September and i have seen fish rise on ponds.Might be a lil warm now.

I was there once but didn't get a chance to fish...I've heard, as well, that the ponds are a good place to start.

i looked it up and the web says that some ponds only have brook trout and landlocked salmon and other lakes have everything from sunfish to pickeral. The ponds with only brook trout should be interesting

there was a show on a few years ago called "Fly Fishing America's National Parks" or something like that...I think that is where I saw people fishing the ponds with float tubes. I've been wanting to do it ever since then. Also I can't stop thinking about land locked salmon.

spent 10 years married to a woman from maine, used to drive up every other weekend to visit and fish. land locks are great to fish for. Her brother took me out in some desolute areas for them. Fantastic fishing on ponds with a canoe and smelt patterns. It's where I learned to troll flies for trout and other fish.

have any advice on fishing for the landlocks and stocked trout?

I started a thread in Stream Locations on 7/21-New England on the Fly- that had some good advice for Maine. I plan on a day or two with a guide in early Sept. Throw em back for me.

STONEMAN,
dont plan on keeping anything short of a monster will check that thread though.

Ihrt,
placed some info on yer other post smelt patterns.
Tight Wraps & Tight Lines
Rick Wallace

I've been to Maine many times and have fished a number of places but not Mt. Desert Island. There are several places near there and there are places on the island. Go Here;
http://forum.flyfishinginmaine.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=16774
They're a pretty good bunch of guys and should be able to help, they are a bit protective of their spots though, almost to the point of being rude.

I was there last year, didn't fish brookies, but had luck in the marina for mackerel. I was flipping out buggers and clousers and letting them sink slowly. We were in Southwest Harbor on the "quiet side" of the island. Beautiful island, great vacation.
D

Back