Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Moving from New Mexico

Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:

And there are some pretty good fishing opportunities closer. There is even a small stream that holds a pretty decent wild trout population 40 minutes from my door.

So yeah - even though I wish it was closer to some limestone streams, pittsburgh is still a nice place to live IMO.

Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you live in? I was driven all over the city yesterday and can definitely see that it might take longer to get out from some neighborhoods than others.

Thanks!

Posted on: 3/8 10:52

From North East PA
Welcome to the jungle.

Posted on: 3/8 11:11

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

agent229 wrote:
Quote:

dryflyguy wrote:

And there are some pretty good fishing opportunities closer. There is even a small stream that holds a pretty decent wild trout population 40 minutes from my door.

So yeah - even though I wish it was closer to some limestone streams, pittsburgh is still a nice place to live IMO.

Do you mind me asking what neighborhood you live in? I was driven all over the city yesterday and can definitely see that it might take longer to get out from some neighborhoods than others.

Thanks!

I live in the north hills area - about 5 miles north of "dahntahn" - and just off of route 279. Quite handy for me to bypass traffic whenever I go fishing in any direction.

The south hills part of town is very tough to get around in IMO, without sitting in traffic. I would avoid that area, unless there is someplace there where I really need to go to.

If I were to pick a part of the area to live that is more convenient to get fishing, it would be the north hills - or even better, the eastern area - which is closer to the great limestone streams of central PA

Posted on: 3/8 13:03

Thank you all again for your replies. I know it's been a while, but we are definitely moving to Pittsburgh and hoping to do a couple weeks of exploring and fishing when we get there before school and work start. I will refer to your comments and the maps on this site for ideas on where to go!

I just have kind of a dumb question... I was reading about "opening day" and can't seem to find out what that means exactly. Does that mean you can't fish for trout before that? Or would you not even be able to anyway? Here in NM we can fish year round for trout, in fact some of the better fishing we had in the San Juan was during some biting cold and snow.

Posted on: 6/11 11:50

From Tyrone
You can fish year around for the most part. Approved Trout Waters (streams that are stocked) close from beginning of March until opening day which is early or middle of April

Posted on: 6/11 12:10

Thanks!

Posted on: 6/11 12:21

From lower burrell, pa
I've actually heard of people fly fishing in Point State park right in downtown, depending on where you are going to live. I live about 25 minutes from downtown off Rte 28

Posted on: 6/11 12:27

From Denver
^ I've tossed streamers at the point before. I'm pretty sure people walking by thought I was insane.

Posted on: 6/11 13:53

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com