Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Mountain stream tactics

From lancaster county
i use a 7' 4 wt full flex. the orvis trout bum on small mountain streams. a good length and the full flex lets you feel the fish. most important though, small streams a rough on equipment. some small streams require a hike in the woods. i like the 4 pc. because i can strap the case over my shoulder. hike into the woods and then put it together. this makes it harder to break it while walking to the stream. especailly while climbing high gradient streams in rough terrian. also the 25 year warrenty just in case also a good all around rod.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 14:31

From Chester County
For small streams I use a March Brown Hidden Waters Pack Rod. It’s a 4wt 7’ / 7 piece. It’s set up to leave out the 2nd section (the one above the handle), which makes it into a six foot rod. It comes with a zippered hard case that’s only 12” long. I put in my small backpack for the hike in. It has a lifetime guarantee. I’d classify the action as medium. The rod costs about $190.00 from Beek Flies from Delaware County, PA. It works for me.

http://store.beekflies.com/marchbrown4.html

Posted on: 2007/1/9 16:10

From lancaster county
thats a really cool rod! how much does it weigh?

Posted on: 2007/1/9 16:20

From Chester County
SF,

I don’t really know the weight of the rod. I would classify it as lightweight, especially being 7’ or 6’ long. In fact, I’m having trouble finding a reel light enough to balance it out. It’s a great little rod. It has a matte finish for stealth, with single foot guides for lighter weight. The only thing I would change is that the cork grip is a little shorter than I’m used to.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 16:42

From Westmoreland County (near fairgrounds)
Afishinado,

Here is the reel you want Pfleuger Supreme at FishUSA

The 1834 model weighs 3.25 ounces and you can't beat the price. I love it on my 2 weight!

Posted on: 2007/1/9 17:02

From Gettysburg
Count me firmly in the short rod camp for brookies - but then again, I use a short rod for much of my small stream trout and bass fishing, including limestoners. I have built fly rods that ranged from less than 3 feet to 7 feet for small creeks. Lately most of my brookie fishing is done with a 5 and a half foot 4WT pack rod that breaks down into four pieces. I think short rods seem to be making something of a comeback in spite of the trend toward longer rods in recent years. There has, however, been a "short rod school" here in the Cumberland Valley for some time - with Ed Shenk as its guru. I can remember Ed defending short rods back in the early eighties when other fly fishing leaders were advocating longer rods. He also likes short rods for aesthetic reasons as do I. While I'd almost never take a five foot rod to the Susquehanna or saltwater, I like 'em for most trout fishing on small waters. Small rods are a bit of an aquired taste but for small brushy streams I think they beat longer rods most of the time.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 17:13

From Altoona, PA
Quote:
In fact, I’m having trouble finding a reel light enough to balance it out.\

BassPro Shops has a great lightweight reel. They have a terriffic rod to balance it too!

Posted on: 2007/1/9 18:51

From LV
I am in my own camp as far as rod length, I use what is appropriate for the stream I'm fishing. I don't use a 7.5 foot rod on Pine Creek if I'm fishing for brookies there, and if I am fishing a jump across stream I don't use a 9 foot rod, unless I'mm familiar with the stream and know it is fairly open. Some are, like Splash Dam Hollow. But his thread wasn't about rod lengths so I'll end my comments there.

Posted on: 2007/1/9 19:38

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com