Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3)

Re: Mountain Freestone/Brookie Streams in Early Spring

I am learning from actually fishing, and the fishing has been pretty good. :)

Daily average temp is about to jump by more than 10F relative to the recent days on which the pocono brookie fishing has been good. Can't hurt.

Posted on: 2013/4/4 8:20

Edited by k-bob on 2013/4/4 8:59:23

Falling water temps at a rates that are generally greater than those that occur during normal daily fluctuations for a given season in large part shut down fish activity. This is true in the spring, but I would think that it is probably true in large part throughout the year. When the temps start to rise the fish become active again, not necessarily "biting," but they become active again. This is readily seen for all species that utilize Pa's fish ladders in spring.

There is at least one exception for trout. When summer temps are higher than those at which trout feed, falling temps will stimulate feeding behavior.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 8:15

thanks mike.

So watch the size of difference between the high temp on one day and the following overnight low.

Try not to fish in the am after a night which had a much lower temperature than the previous days high.

I like the idea of watching fish ladders to get an indication of trout activity!

Posted on: 2013/4/5 9:26

From Ephrata, PA
Agreed. Fight the temptation to do an all day expedition right now! The overnight temps here in Lanc are still dropping below freezing-the fishing has not been turning on until 2pm or so.

Posted on: 2013/4/5 9:40

right but the difference between sat pm and sun night is not so much in the Pocono-area forecast

Posted on: 2013/4/5 9:44

From LV
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
Chaz, my experience has often been the opposite. So many of these streams have a lot of brookies, and a few browns. My wintertime excursions tend to turn up a much higher % of browns than summertime excursions. I've caught my share of aggressive browns under ice (riffles stay ice free, pools freeze up, drift a bugger up under!).

My impression is just that browns in these streams are more apt to turn on and off. If the water is 34 and rises to 38, fish'll turn on, but browns moreso than brookies. But if it's 38 and drops to 36, you'll NEVER catch a brown. You're chances of catching a brookie aren't hurt that bad (though they weren't great to begin with).

My winter excursions to these streams are usually targeted hoping for rising (but not warm) water temps.

In my experience browns just don't like cold water, even more so in the warm months and will wait until the water warms from morning low temperatures, except if you arrive before dawn. The streams that I've fished are sometimes so extreme, you'll catch all brookies early and then after the browns start the brookies quit or are few and far between.
Browns really do like the water warmer then brookies, Don't forget I don't go out of my way to target browns, and browns are more likely to be selective s to the fly on the water, not always but that's the way they tend to be.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 12:43

From LV
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
1 week to hit 50? You're dreaming.

Not really Pat, I was out Thursday and the stream I was fishing was 40 degrees when we arrived, by the time we left it was 48 degrees. Then yesterday at the same stream in a different section but nearby it was up to 54 degrees. Thursday overnight temperatures weren't as cold as the night before.
I was on Big Pine one May and in the Morning it was 46 degrees, when I left it was 63 degrees. It's about bright sun and no leaves that raises water temperatures rapidly. This time of the year streams warm very fast. and if the nights are warmer, then they don't cool down as fast overnight.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 12:49

From LV
Quote:

The_Sasquatch wrote:
Agreed. Fight the temptation to do an all day expedition right now! The overnight temps here in Lanc are still dropping below freezing-the fishing has not been turning on until 2pm or so.

But I love fishing all day.

Posted on: 2013/4/6 12:56

right now I am dreaming of fishing on wed or thursday... wilkes-barre forecast is 62 hi today, 45 lo tonight; 69 tomorrow, 55 tomorrow night; 73 tues, 57 tues night; 72 wed, 59 wed night... that should ratchet the water temps up to a good level for brookies.

Posted on: 2013/4/7 9:52

« 1 2 (3)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com