Most underated stream.

osprey

osprey

Since i brought it up and i know i'm risking my life with this question i'll go ahead and say i think the most underated stream in Pa is Wills creek in bedford and somerset counties. YOU WOULDN'T HURT A ONE LEGGED OLD **** WOULD YA?

White clay creek in Chester co. -marginal at best but sure is a pretty stream
And if you like boiled crawdads-loaded.

Savage River, MD...one of the best in the east...And if it's blown out you can fish the brookie waters on the upper section. Again, some of the best brookie fishing any where. Plus, it's in a protected park which offers cheap camping options..Some parts of the Savage state forest were never clear cut, so it's like going back in time up there.. Of course most of the western Pa guys already know this but will never admit it. If I lived near Pittsburg the Savage is where I would fish, as much as I could

While I agree that the Savage is a wonderful stream (one of the best in the East) I don't think it is underrated. This stream ranks as one of the best known trout streams in the eastern US and Maryland in particular. It's certainly not overrated. I think part of the reason it seems underrated (just like the NB Potomac) is that it is, as you point out, so remote. It just doesn't see the kind of pressure that it would if it was closer to a large population.

Fishidiot,

You are so right. Luke and Keyser WV are not what I would call trout towns..

To me it is a cool, hidden spring creek on public land here in SE PA. Beautiful scenery, wild browns up to 16" and hatches galore. It's GPS coordinates are ... arrrghhh.

(With apologies to Monty Python and the Holy Grail).

I agree with fishidiot's statement that the Savage is not an underrated stream, but rather a great steam in a remote location that happens to be next to the N. Branch of the Potomac. Personally, I've never fished a stream that has prettier wild browns and native brooks than the Savage, but a lot of fly fisherman cannot overcome the urge to fish the N. Branch of the Potomac where the good possibility to catch multiple 20plus inch fish in a day exists. If you separated the two, I might agree that the upper Savage River (above the lake) is underrated due to the great native brookie fishing that is available above the put and take section.

I fished the north branch once and wasn't very impressed. Lots of stocked trout in there. Few bugs hatching. I know a lot of guys need that big bend in their rods, in order to feel a sense of completion. Too me thats fools gold. I would rather catch a 6inch wild brookie then I dozen of those NBP hogs. And I have to say that pulled quite a few big browns out of the Savage in the past several years.

Well, since the blight has crashed smallmouth populations in the Susquehanna drainage this isn't true anymore. But up until just a little while ago, I'd have said the Connenoguinett in Camp Hill. If the stream were full of trout the way it was smallmouth, every flyfishing magazine in the country would list it as a stream to fish before you die.

Not a really beautiful stream... It ran through people's backyards... and for that reason, access was a beast. But the hex hatch was a marvel of nature. And there were caddis and crayfish in epic numbers. The wading wasn't hard at all either. I think the key was, there were a number of blue ribbon limestone streams emptying into it. The Letort, Green Spring, Big Spring and all the others. It was a real gem in it's day.

I know about the only way to catch a good size brown on greenspring was at the mouth when some would come up from the big water during hot weather.You could see Shenk going down to check it out.

I grew up in Delco, so my home stream was Chester Crick. While not often though of as a fly fishing stream the two branches have some pretty water and I have even seen some fishable caddis and sulphur hatches up there. As I kid I remember some cool spring fed creeks that actually had trout running up them. Who knows, wih the improved water quality there could even be some reproduction going on in a few of them.

It may be too well known to be considered an underated stream, but I would have to go with Elk Creek in Centre County. The stream is almost perfect in my view, with only one problem to speak of.

On that note, the best section of this stream is posted and you can only fish it if you're a member of a "club". Does anyone know if this is a Donny Beaver stretch of water or is there another group that's made it "club" water. Anyone have any idea how to make arrangements to fish this water?

dynamite?-jest ing

Chartiers Creek in USC and Bridgeville- biggest carp I ever saw.

Thanks for being gentle with me.......heh.......by the way Wills creek empties into the potomoc watershed (ouch)

VTP,
If were talking about the same stretch on Elk, from what I understand its not Empire related with much less fees. Also from what I understood, the club has a limit and you must wait for a member to vacate.
Pad, excellent call on the Connie. There are a few more fellers fishing it these days, but top quality smallmouth. Have caught rainbows and seen Musky in there as well.

Upstream from Newville they catch some huge browns in the Conodoguinnet sp?

Back