Mop fly?

ryanh

ryanh

I have been reading a ton about this fly. It makes the green weenie a respectable fly by comparison but the results seem to speak for themselves. Anybody on here use this fly and what are your thoughts?

What's wrong with the weenie?

I carry this fiy and the green weenie but i don't have any results as I have yet to fish either fly for some reason. May have to put the mop fly on next to out and see what happens.

If it was the ultimate fish catcher, I would use nothing else. But it is not. I have caught fish with it but I have also been skunked with it. I have had the most success with panfish.

Used it once and mopped up the competition.

If you try the mop fly, be sure to buy a mop that is CHARTREUSE GREEN.

It works as well a green weenie does. I tie my mop flies in chartreuse and a natural grayish color. Ive been on the look out for neon pink mop material to tie with but havent found any yet. I prefer to fish pink weenies over green weenies as they seem to fish even better.

I have not tried it yet myself but I bet it would crush stockies.

Trying to decide how to respond to " pink weenie"...

I've had luck with them on mainly panfish and smallies. However, I haven't given them much chance yet on trout. I recommend anyone carry a few, if only for kicks or in a pinch.

How about the mop 'n glo variation? Lol
I tied a couple but have yet to try them.

https://youtu.be/ngr9YML4_KY

DaveS wrote:
Trying to decide how to respond to " pink weenie"...

I prefer to call them "natural weenies"

it was developed as a Stillwater fly in competitions.

doubles as a caddis in various colors.

I understood that the cost was a factor - you can make a 100 or so from a $3.99 mop head.

it is funny that red weenies are called red hots,but pink weenies don't have a separate name yet.

i never heard of a mop fly before,but i will keep my eyes out.

Never tried it, but I have fished Skybay's carpet-munching leech fly

Mop flies work better than they should. Chartreuse, tan, blue, red, pink, and gray all work. Experiment with colors. They are just loops of chenille and can be found on bath mats and other items as well. Mop and glow is a nice version.

Like all flies, they aren't the universal answer. Don't know how long the fad will last, but they work. One could think of natural ones as cranefly larvae if you need to feel better. Others think of them as the fly fishers version of a Trout Magnet.

steveo27 wrote:
It works as well a green weenie does. I tie my mop flies in chartreuse and a natural grayish color. Ive been on the look out for neon pink mop material to tie with but havent found any yet. I prefer to fish pink weenies over green weenies as they seem to fish even better.

You can get a pair of pink dusting slippers on eBay for less than $2 to your door

Back