Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 »

Mink at the Saucon.

While fishing the Saucon on Wed I spotted a mink with a trout running up the opposite bank.
It was a good day for fishing as I caught 10 trout including a beautiful 22" wild brown. My biggest one from the Saucon.

Posted on: 5/15 7:52

Re: Mink at the Saucon.

Any pics?

Posted on: 5/15 9:08

From Pipersville Pa.
Wow, a 22'' that is huge for the saucon. I have seen some nice ones there but not that big. Good for you.

Congrats,

GenCon

Posted on: 5/15 12:10

Ian Anderson, Thick as a brick.

From Mont Co, Pa
A 22" wild brown and no pics? That's a trout of a lifetime for most.

Posted on: 5/15 20:04

From Ferguson Twp.
Congrats, sounds like a real good day. Shook some fins and saw some wildlife, nice.

Posted on: 5/15 21:39

From SE PA
Good to see you had a great day Lou. What did you catch the brown on?

Posted on: 5/16 12:44

I know where you saw the Mink, he is a frequent customer of the local restaurant which he loves (the run along the rocks) His favorite dish is the brown trout.

Posted on: 5/16 15:40

From Coopersburg
Nice Lou! I've heard the Saucon holds just average sized trout so a 22"er is quite the accomplishment.

Posted on: 5/16 19:02

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
another big saucon brown for loum, how many does that make now lou ??

Posted on: 5/16 20:29

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From LV
Great Day Lou. We've got to get out together, but I'm working right now so it will have to be local and in the evening.
Saucon holds some big browns, but the size structure of the population has changed over the years from when it first attained Class A status. You can see that on the surveys PFBC has done over the years.
But I've seen big ones there, it's catching them that tough.

Posted on: 5/17 6:44

Franklin; a size 14 frenchie was the fly. Chaz, your right the baiters have really taken a toll on the trout in the Saucon The PFC did a fall stocking a few years back and the bait fishermen did a job on the wild trout in the open section.

Posted on: 5/17 7:55

LouM - The baiters haven't done squat to the wild trout population in Saucon Creek. Instead of blaming the baiters, this is what people need to know/understand about the Saucon; the stream actually gets a little warm as you get into the ATW section above Water St.(I’ve taken temps around 73 degrees in May already and it gets worse above Walnut St). The temps are not drastic, but obviously enough to make the wild fish (and stocked fish) move. So if you are fishing in those areas in June/July/August the wild fish may have simply moved on as opposed to having a job done on them by the baiters.

The ATW section hasn't been stocked in the fall in over 8 years to my recollection. It did get an extra brookie stocking about 4/5 years ago and many of those stocked fish ran down into the TT Area (where the colder water is) within about a week, but no fly fishermen seemed to care.

The Saucon has been getting beaten up and changed by high water flows for the past 4/5 years. The stream flattened in some areas, changed course in others and it created new holes where holes didn’t exist in the past. The great thing about the stream is that it still holds a ton of wild fish (you caught 10 and a 22” the other day right?) despite the dozen or so wild fish the baiters catch a year.

Chaz, I looked at the 1999 and 2004 surveys on the PFBC website. I was also present when stream was surveyed in 2009 or 2010. Has the size structure really changed all that much?

Posted on: 5/17 20:58

From Hillsborough, nj
I've hooked some very big fish there, but never able to land them!

Posted on: 5/19 8:38

fishfuzz; The baiters put a hurting on the trout after the last fall stocking. I saw guys with 16"+ fish on stringers. The fishing went downhill after that. It is starting to recover the last couple of years. AS far as the trout moving in July and August it may be so but I have caught a lot of trout duirng those months. I have been fishing the Saucon for over 20 years and it is not the stream it used to be but as I said it is coming back.

Posted on: 5/19 14:30

From LV
I didn't say anything about baiters, but the point is that because the the original regs were Selective harvest, they bigger trout could be taken above 12 inches. But if you have a stream that has wild trout headwaters to the mouth, it's a good fishery, and it deserves more protection from harvest and a halt to stocking.

Posted on: 5/19 19:06

(1) 2 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
2 Comments

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com