Minimum stream frontage? Special Regs, Delayed Harvest FFO etc

S

StreamHiker

This may be a dumb question, but does anyone happen to know if the PA FBC is pursuing more special reg designations? Also, is there a minimum length they will consider? The reason I'm asking is because a neighboring landowner and I own each bank of Yellow Creek (Indiana County, not Bedford) for approx 3,900'. We leave it open to the public and I have no intention of posting my side ever (even though I have to clean up rubbish every opening day). Our portion of the stream holds wild browns but the state also stocks it very good. My neighbor and I sometimes wish that they wouldnt stock and wonder if the native fishing would improve. I was thinking about approaching my local TU chapter and the fish warden over here to ask about designation. Before I even go that route I was curious to know if anyone has feedback. Either way, I will never post my portion.

the spec reg section of the slippery rock is only about half a mile long, so your good in that regard. don't know what else they go by. probably best to contact your local pafbc officer.

StreamHiker wrote:
This may be a dumb question, but does anyone happen to know if the PA FBC is pursuing more special reg designations? Also, is there a minimum length they will consider? The reason I'm asking is because a neighboring landowner and I own each bank of Yellow Creek (Indiana County, not Bedford) for approx 3,900'. We leave it open to the public and I have no intention of posting my side ever (even though I have to clean up rubbish every opening day). Our portion of the stream holds wild browns but the state also stocks it very good. My neighbor and I sometimes wish that they wouldnt stock and wonder if the native fishing would improve. I was thinking about approaching my local TU chapter and the fish warden over here to ask about designation. Before I even go that route I was curious to know if anyone has feedback. Either way, I will never post my portion.

Maybe Mike Kauffman will come in and discuss, however he is the SE PA biologist.

Read this thread . . . wealth of information . . .

Discussion of Special Regs

StreamHiker, I go to IUP and am always looking for new places to fish in the Indiana area. Do you recommend anything or anywhere in particular on Yellow Creek?

Streamhiker,
Kudos to you for your attitude. It sounds like the stream is in good hands regardless of regulations.

I don't think the PFBC is really chewing at the bit to add more spec reg sections but I'm sure they'd consider your proposal. Landowner issues are a big part (probably the biggest part) of the equation. You've got enough stream length and the cooperation of other landowners. By all means touch base with the local TU and maybe a local sportsman's club. Draft a letter to the PFBC and include a petition with the names of some additional supporters and I'll bet the PFBC will give it serious thought.

Streamhiker,

I'm glad to hear from someone that thinks like you about posting land. I've seen a lot of trout water closed over the years. A lot of it is the falt of the ones that litter. I'm always picking up beer cans from people that like to ride back in the mountains and drink. The fisherman that come back here are useually flyfisherman, there's no problem from them.

Thanks

First off....congratulations on your attitude toward you keeping your land open to public fishing. Here are some facts toward your interest.

There is no DH FFO anymore. The DHFFO regulation has been migrated to CR& FFO with the Heritage Waters and some C&R waters.

Regarding C&R FFO, there is little interest in the F&BC adding more FFO areas. Especially if there are thermal issues in summer. They are however interested in exploring DHALO areas in regions where few exist and use would be high. If the section of YEllow Creek has summer thermal issues, DHALO would be a good fit...and the length is not too small. However, it could be argued that if there is not enough open general reg water in the area that creating a tackle restriction could limit use for the "regular guy".

Another option could be to create your own regulation of C&R or FFO and forgo the stocking but you may not be happy with the fishable populations and you may also have issues with enforcement.

I'd get the other landowner onboard for DHALO and approach the F&BC and push for it. I am pretty sure they will buy into it if your important part of private land open to public fishing is in jeopardy. You will certainly enjoy improved populations of trout, stocked and wild, until mid June. AND you may also benefit from a fall and early spring stocking, further improving the trout fishing opportunities in the region.

You will also see increased traffic in Fall and spring....and winter too, which you probably do not see now.

Good luck with this, I wish you the best.

Yellow creek (indiana) has the topography, the streamside vegitation, the pool and riffle ratio, etc. to be a top notch trout freestoner. It just needs cold water.

I grew up in Indiana and I always wished they would build up the spillway so it wouldn't crest until flood stage, then just use the gates at the bottom of the dam (by the way have you ever seen the size of the carp that hang out there?)

I think the only problem would be oxygen in the cold water release.

Are you above or below Renoski's property?

Sorry forgot to address special regs:

There is a real lack of publicly stocked water in Indiana County in general with Yellow Creek being the "biggest name" for the bait crowd. I think it would be a losing proposition, but talking with the Ken Sink TU may give you better insight.

They have been working with Twolick Creek below the dam for a few years (privately stocked) and it has been an ever improving wild brown fishery.

WOW, great feedback, thank you all! I'm glad I found this forum! pmphil, my nephew goes to iup as well but he's strictly a bait guy. Maybe we can hook up and fish someday. I know some areas on Yellow, Twolick, Gilhouser and blacklick. Again, great info from everyone. Greatly appreciated.

There are requirements for parking, something like 12 spaces per mile, the minimum length is supposed to be 1 mile, but there are shorter sections, so exceptions are made. Perhaps all it would take is one more landowner to get enough frontage.
Probably the biggest problem is parking. It's got to be there.
Our T.U. chapter fenced off a parking area on one of our project sections 3 years ago on the W.B. of Perkiomen Creek and posted C & R signs for the landowner, because that's what he wanted. We're now talking tot he other landowners to get more water opened. But it's baby steps first.

Back