HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Mentor day

From Eastern PA
Quote:

addictedangler wrote:
I did spend some time at the lake earlier in the morning before I had to do a presentation for the YBA. As for helping the kids you need to ready the fish and boat statement on the web. They say that this is for fahter and sons, grandfathers. They did not want outside help. There are a lot of do gooders that take advantage of the situation. I work with high school students and see some of the problems they face in life. This Saturday the Boiling spring lake will open up for the children again. Go there for the day then post your comments. At that time they will have some real meaning. As stated before do you think it is OK to teach children to Kill and release trout for the fun of it? If so we have nothing in common. I grew up a son of a poor coal miner and will die as such. I have devoted my life to education and conservation and take it seriously. If someone wants to poke fun of me go ahead. But unless you know the facts I suggest you think about the next post.

So in this thread you are going to complain about fish handling of children, then in the same breath you are going to insult those who were asked by the fish and boat commission to help with the new program? In what way would assisting kids result in my "being a do gooder that takes advantage of the situation?" I have no interest in traveling to Boiling Springs Lake as it is not my job to police your backyard. Again, I suggest you make an effort yourself.

I am not remotely suggesting that one should teach children to kill fish and throw them back. I am suggesting however that you either cut a 9 year old some slack OR you assist in teaching them proper fish handling. As a volunteers, solicited by the PFBC, anyone in our group would gladly assist in teaching proper fish handling skills. However, it would appear that based upon your anecdotal statements and second hand observations, people in your area simply don't know how to handle fish.

I am sorry that you are poor but I can't fathom how that comes into play. Are you suggesting that because you are poor that you hate to see food go to waste? You have completely lost me. Continue working on that education as it will certainly help with your general position in life.

Regarding catch and release of stocked trout, that is in no way conservation. If you are conservation minded surely you see that. If not, I again suggest continuing the educational process.

I have no idea who you think is poking fun at you. Yes, when I opened and read your original post I thought "What the hell? Why start a new thread when there is one on the program right below this? What is the purpose of complaining with no action plan in mind?", however I did not, nor did anyone else, poke fun at you.

Lastly, I would suggest that it is you who needs to get their facts in order prior to soft balling it in there like that. Your question was "who was mentoring who?" and in my humble opinion, the answer should be YOU.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:25

From Eastern PA
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I ended up driving around Bethlehem for 40 minutes trying to find a bathroom for my youngest to go #2.

Interesting and good point. I think that they should have minimal bathroom facilities at any of the locations that they choose. This may be a suggestion for Andrew Desko at the PFBC who headed up the event. The park that I assisted at had a few port-a-potties.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 17:29

From Boilingsprings
I would like to start by saying I am not poor as you may think.But there are a lot of people who are in need of a meal. I would rather see the fish go to the neady then thrown them back to die. One of the reason for flyfish is to use it as a tool for releasing fish allive. This is a fly fishing site I will tell you a little about myself. I help start the first youth flyfishing school at Mount Clair st. U. I would take a week of from work to do it. Also I was instrumental in starting a youth fishing derby at North Middletown
twp. I have done programs and help support our FFA in starting a youth fishing club in Cumberland co. Also over the past 30 years have never turned down a request by Boy scouts or other related groups that needed help with a fishing program. On Saturday I did a free presentation for the YellowBreeches anglers. It included some tips on releasing fish. That evening I went to the Adams Co. Tu banquet and gave a business gift certificate for 1/2 days guiding or Beginner school. As for hear say I stated what I saw and what others who came to the show saw. These are people I have known and respect. Also Roland at the YBO told me on Sunday he may call the Fish commission with all the complaints he received. In past years I have helped with the youth on opening day at the childrens area. After a few years of adult problems I quit. Also there are other guides that used to do the same. I will not mention any names but they are reputable folks. I do not have a problem with teaching youth fishing and proper use of our resources. But you need to look at the web site on mentoring from pa fish. It says they do not want others to help. And also mention what a mentor is Not sure why you did not get that so please go to the site and read it. I can think of at least 8 children fishing events in our area before this came about. I have never lied or started a false roomer. If you were not there I am not sure how you can comment on what happened. I will not read any post on this subject so you do not have to respond on my account.

Posted on: 2013/3/26 18:23

From So MD/Misplaced Pittsburgher
Anything to get the kids on the water with a parent or mentor is a good thing! While I am sure there was a few that took advantage of the situation that is to be expected. Go back to the same Lake this Saturday if you really want to see a zoo.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:01

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Quote:

jdaddy wrote:
Quote:

SBecker wrote:
I ended up driving around Bethlehem for 40 minutes trying to find a bathroom for my youngest to go #2.

Interesting and good point. I think that they should have minimal bathroom facilities at any of the locations that they choose. This may be a suggestion for Andrew Desko at the PFBC who headed up the event. The park that I assisted at had a few port-a-potties.

There was a park bathroom.....that was locked. There was also 1 porta potty......it was locked. Agree, bathroom facilities need to be brought in if not available.

Posted on: 2013/3/27 8:30

From Camp Hill, PA
tracker12...you are on target!

If you are sensitive to the expected behavior...stay away. If you want to encourage and educate the youth...this will not be the time or the place. Do it as addictedangler outlined above...to receptive audiences.

Opening Day, at Boiling Springs, will be like watching an episode of The Walking Dead. Carnival atmosphere. Choose what you watch and expose children to.

I was at the Children's Lake Sunday and spoke to addictedangler and Roland. I counted 10 fish belly up on the bottom. A friend of mine wanted to participate in the mentoring event the day before...but, I was not able.

From past experience with this location, Children's Lake, "Opening Day" is soooooo much worse than the "Mentor Day". It will be a "Zoo" as tracker12 said. It will be a whole-sale slaughterhouse. All the fish that where stocked will be gone the first weekend of the season. There will be dead fish in the "Run" catch-and-release down stream from the lake.

The lake is completely devoid of plant life this year due to a very aggressive water level drawdown to freeze/kill off. The stocked fish are schooled swimming around in a 20 foot wide circle with nowhere to hide. There are 2 palomino among the group. One of the fish, a 20+ inch fish (picture attached), will have no less than 200 people fighting over who gets to snag it first. People will be throwing pellets identical to the those the fish ate at the hatchery. There will be boats on top of the fish. They will be eating hot dogs from the weenie stand.

If this upsets you...avoid it.
But, continue to work to change it!

Attach file:

jpg  Doomed_Trophy.jpg (73.48 KB)
7920_515309598dcaa.jpg 216X307 px

Posted on: 2013/3/27 10:59

From Camp Hill, PA
Another Perspective...

Take a look at the article posted on Pennlive by Marcus Schneck. It features Photos and Video from the Children's Lake event.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman ... central_pennsylvania.html

Posted on: 2013/3/28 10:51

From LV
IT's FOR KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! NOT FOR FATHERS! HELLO!

Posted on: 2013/3/28 12:56

Chaz,

While some anglers expressed that complaint, it was very few. I heard that from two anglers out of perhaps the 180 adults who fished at Antietam.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:28

From Lancaster Co.
Talked to a co-worker today who took his two children to Antietam on Saturday afternoon. Mentioned he got some good advice from the WCO (you Mike?) and his kids caught fish. They had a great time.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:35

McSneek: Could have been the WCO, my co-worker, or me. I put a number of people onto fish who to that point had caught few or none at all. I was encouraging individuals to move from the colder, shallow coves to deeper water and to switch from bobber fishing to bottom fishing, except in cases where slip bobbers allowed them to fish deeper. Since I see that you are from Lancaster Co, I remember speaking with an angler from Lititz and helping a family from Leola.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 13:55

From Gettysburg
Quote:

Night_Stalker wrote:
Another Perspective...

Take a look at the article posted on Pennlive by Marcus Schneck. It features Photos and Video from the Children's Lake event.

http://blog.pennlive.com/pa-sportsman ... central_pennsylvania.html

Thanks for the link - good article.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:25

Chaz: By the way, if the worst that critics can say about the event is that the adults should not have been allowed to fish or that some fish that were caught and released later died, then to me that is a measure of how successful the event really was.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 14:32

I took my grandson out for this. We went to Green Lane Park in Montgomery County. I did not take a rod, just wanted to help my grandson, who is 5, enjoy trout fishing.

The lake was filled with folks. My general impression was that it was a junp start for the dads to get a day of fishing in early, before the start of the season. Most of the fishing I ovserved was done by the mentors.

My Grandson did not catch any fish but we had a great day and hopefully he will ask to go again. His mother has told me that he has spent every day since cleaning and sorting his stuff in his tackle box.

When he is old enough I plan on teaching him how to fly fish. I hope that the intent of the Fish Commission for having this day was to expose youngsters to the joy of fishing.

Sorry to hear about so many fish needlessly killed in other reports concerning this event.

Posted on: 2013/3/28 17:13

Ernie,
There were many reasons for the day, but one of the original reasons when I first proposed it was to have a day to teach and prepare kids for fishing during the opening day a week later. With the lessons learned on their day I believed that they would have a better opening day and be able to fish more independently and more successfully. This would then, perhaps, open the door for parents to take them fishing more frequently or for the kids to go fishing more on their own.
Mike

Posted on: 2013/3/28 17:35

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com