Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

Maryland stream laws

From Seeking asylum for spot burning
I have a list of brook trout streams that I want to fish in Maryland. The streams go through dozens of properties as they are in populated areas. The stream are not posted at any point that I would fish.From what I have heard, correct me If I'm wrong, it is alright to fish these areas as long as you stay in the stream bed. Does anyone have any insight in to the rules to this. I don't want to break any laws just to fish

Posted on: 4/16 22:05

Re: Maryland stream laws

From Jeannette, PA
That was the case when I lived in WV and was fishing there. You have to access the stream from a place legal first. But be careful of posters. some think the water is open on both sides even if someone owns both sides of the river. Its not

Kevin

Posted on: 4/17 6:37

Re: Maryland stream laws

From Franklin County
PA and MD have the same stream laws in that "technically" the only stream/river/watercourse that is open to the public, when access is given (usually by public right of way) for wading purposes, is when the stream/river is deemed navigable by the Army Corp of Engineers. There are only a hand full of navigable waterways in W. Md and these streams are "usually" designated Use I or I-P (see http://wildtroutstreams.com/md_cnty_maps/Garrett_Cnty_DUs.pdf) (Also http://www.mde.state.md.us/assets/doc ... ntstormwater/Appnd_D9.pdf) These are really just guidance tools for water quality as it relates to wetland/waterway permitting administered by the MDE but once again the ACOE has the final say of what is navigable - but they don't put that in writing.

Unfortunately you are best off asking for permission to access and fish the stream. Just because it isn't posted with signage doesn't mean it is open to the public. Asking is always the best policy. And really it is easy - usually they have some good advice for you too.

Posted on: 4/17 7:01

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com