March 1st Closed Season for trout

JackM

JackM

Staff member
All ATWs (TSWs) are completely closed for fishing except for Special Regs waters. Non-trout-stocked waters are open to fishing but not for trout, trout caught incidentally must be released immediately unharmed.

See the regulations booklet to sort out the water you can still fish for trout, but the above is my general guide. Just a friendly reminder so you don't get pinched.

I seen that they have year round stocked trout waters (mostly lakes). what is the protocol there? are you aloud to target the stockers as long as you release them, or how does that work? never made any sense to me

I've never understood why they feel the need to close trout streams for a month before they even stock any trout. I miss the white sucker run in my creek every year because I can't fish the main part, oh well, at least there's the Allegheny River for this month!

Non-trout-stocked waters are open to fishing but not for trout,

This seems a bit confusing to me. This sounds like wild trout streams that don't receive stocking are close to fishing.

raftman wrote:
Non-trout-stocked waters are open to fishing but not for trout,

This seems a bit confusing to me. This sounds like wild trout streams that don't receive stocking are close to fishing.

Agreed. I was always under the assumption that if it isn't stocked you can fish.

raftman,

It's always been confusing regarding non-stocked waters, from Labor Day through opening day (extended season is only for ATW's). We've debated it on this board many times, the main take away is that fishing non-ATW's is not illegal on a C&R basis, but they aren't encouraging it.

As for the March closed period. ATW's are closed to all fishing. Period. Remember, ATW is what is listed as ATW, not whether that exact section is stocked. There are numerous examples where only a stretch is stocked but the entire stream is listed ATW. In those cases, all of it is off limits, even wild trout parts miles away from the stocked sections. In other examples, they put limits on the ATW section. In those cases, well, you have your limits.

Yes, there are special reg areas that are open, including one called "stocked trout waters open to year round fishing". It basically means "special reg" but there are no tackle requirements. Examples.

Tulpehocken Creek from Red Bridge to the mouth.

Lehigh River from F.E. Walter Reservoir to Sandy Run

West Branch of the Susquehanna River for a section in Clearfield County.

Yough - from dam downstream to Casselman River

Tionesta Creek - from dam outlet to mouth

Pine Creek - From mouth of Bonnell Run to mouth of Little Pine, and from SR0414 bridge down to mouth of Slate Run

Shenango River - outflow of dam down to ??

South Branch Codorus Creek.

And a whole bunch of lakes.

Here is info from the PFBC site on fishing for trout during the "closed" season:

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/trout/year_round.htm

http://fishandboat.com/images/pages/qa/fish/trout_ext_season.htm

To use as a guideline, below is the County Trout stream map from the PFBC site.

http://www.fish.state.pa.us/county.htm

If you zoom in on a region, the streams are color coded. The stocked streams are colored [color=CC6600]TAN [/color], the Class A's are colored [color=009900]GREEN[/color] and the special reg areas are [color=000099]BLUE[/color]. Any stream not highlighted in a color is not stocked with trout.

The tan ones for their entire length (to be safe) are closed to fishing.

The green, blue and unmarked streams are open to fishing with fish immediately released unharmed. Be sure to check the Special Reg stream details before fishing.

the main take away is that fishing non-ATW's is not illegal on a C&R basis, but they aren't encouraging it.

Thanks for your thorough explanation PCray. You should write the handbook they give out... :)

Good links Afish. The first one clears it up pretty well, but the second link seems to contradict the first... hahahaha.

Ive always hated how they write these regulations.

pcray1231 wrote:
In other examples, they put limits on the ATW section. In those cases, well, you have your limits.

So if an approved trout water has an upper limit, the water above the upper limit is open from March 1st until the opening day of trout season, correct? Same goes for a lower limit, the water below the lower limit is also open as well?

Char_Master wrote:
I've never understood why they feel the need to close trout streams for a month before they even stock any trout. I miss the white sucker run in my creek every year because I can't fish the main part, oh well, at least there's the Allegheny River for this month!

They start stocking streams March 1 (and a few special reg areas in late February). How would you ever enforce a rotating stream closure, based on when they actually stock the stream? A blanket stream closure March 1 is the only practical way to handle this. I'm certain there are plenty of non-stocked streams that have white sucker runs in them around the state.

Salmonid, I wasn't aware that they stocked regular regulation streams that early. For my local creek, they stock the normal regulations area for opening day around April 4th. There is a part of the creek, though, that is delayed harvest and gets stocked he first Tuesday in March (this year that is today actually) and they allow fishing in that section immediately.

Char, I too miss the sucker run!! Loved fishing suckers as a kid!! Trout sure do like that sucker spawn though!!

afishinado wrote:

To use as a guideline, below is the County Trout stream map from the PFBC site...

Be aware that the listing of Approved Trout Waters in the "Summary" is the legal basis for what streams or what sections of what streams (if defined) are Approved Trout, NOT the maps.

There are many inaccuracies on the online maps including inclusion of entire streams when sections are defined and vice versa, not to mention incorrect section limits.

It is a big job to keep the maps up to date. I have reported inaccuracies several times and three years later they are still not corrected...

The Summary is your friend...carry one with you!

Bamboozle wrote:
afishinado wrote:

To use as a guideline, below is the County Trout stream map from the PFBC site...

Be aware that the listing of Approved Trout Waters in the "Summary" is the legal basis for what streams or what sections of what streams (if defined) are Approved Trout, NOT the maps.

There are many inaccuracies on the online maps including inclusion of entire streams when sections are defined and vice versa, not to mention incorrect section limits.

It is a big job to the maps up to date. I have reported inaccuracies several times and three years later they are still not corrected...

The Summary is your friend...carry one with you!

Special note (Summary Book): Although we strive to keep these lists up to date, it is possible that some streams may later be deleted or added as “stocked trout waters” because of last-minute changes in water quality conditions. Check with the nearest Fish & Boat Commission office if there is any question about whether or not a water area is “stocked.”

Link to source: Summary Book

lol...nothing is guaranteed...

The best thing is to use your best judgement and check all the sources.

raftman wrote:
the main take away is that fishing non-ATW's is not illegal on a C&R basis, but they aren't encouraging it.

Thanks for your thorough explanation PCray. You should write the handbook they give out... :)

Good links Afish. The first one clears it up pretty well, but the second link seems to contradict the first... hahahaha.

From the second link: "However, the current regulations also do not specifically permit catch-and-release of wild trout during the time when they are out of season. This means that anglers who fish for trout in anything other than stocked trout waters or some specially regulated waters during the extended season could find themselves in violation of the law."

"The fishing regulations state that it is unlawful to catch fish except during their season."

"Anglers who target a fish during the closed season could potentially harm the fish and would then be liable for violating the closed season regulation."

Now, technically there is no closed season for fishing non-Stocked Trout Waters or specially regulated waters. BUT, during this March - Opening Day time frame, keeping/harming fish is illegal on both types of waters. According to that link anglers can find themselves in violation of the law by catching(and potentially harming) trout from non-Stocked Trout Waters, but could they equally be in violation if fishing special regs waters as well, since it is the closed season for keeping fish in those sections as well??? So in the warden's eyes, the only way to be 100% legal is if you're targeting a species other than trout whether you're fishing a random drive by ditch that isn't stocked, or a DHALO.

You can't keep or harm fish anywhere, and if you do you can get fined. That's straight forward. But it is perfectly accepted by the warderns to target trout at DHALOs(and FFOs, etc....) during the "closed season" but not necessarily "fine"(according to that link) to target trout on non-stocked waters during the closed season, and you "may be in violation"?? Well, to be 100% "ok" with the warderns.....I'll be targeting bass from now through opening day ;-)

If stopped, tell them it is your favorite chub stream.

I think it's pretty straight forward and easy to understand. If it is stocked by the state, stay out. Above that limit, in the limit, or below, unless of course it's special regs. You can fish Class A's year round. Everything else is a grey area and you can "potentially be in violation". Other words you're at the fish wardens discretion in the given situation. Save yourself the potential headache and give the native and wild streams a rest for this time. A lot of them could use it. It's only 6 weeks and a few days. There's plenty of clearly defined legal water to hold you over to get your fix until opening day. That's just my opinion and understanding of it anyways.

come on - Let the trout rest for a month. You can always go to another state that starts their trout season in March.

Some creeks puts up "Trout Water" signs - however you can bet there will be someone fishing.

This is the month you should bring out your kids hula hoops (wife's pots and pans) and practice your casting at your house.

This reminds me of the movie "Groundhog Day"

Back