Mailing flies

W

Wayne92

Does anybody have experience mailing flies to other people. Maybe from fly swaps or anything like that. I need to mail a dozen flies and don't know the best way to do it. I would like to know how other people do it

Put em in solo cups. Tape the lids on. Put cups into smallest box you can find in the stationary section of wallyworld. Take to post office and mail. Should only cost a few bucks total. You can get the solo cups for free from fly shops or restaurant s if you ask... ....usually. If the flies are big you can get away without the solo cups. If it's for a fly swap, it is customary to tag each fly with your name and the pattern. Just a thin strip of paper to poke the hook through.

I've put them in medicine vials before and put them in the smallest box I could find and it worked well.

I have been mailing flies for almost 25 years. The best way I have found is the medicine vials. I have sent out thousands and never had A problem .

I save empty hook boxes for this purpose. Although now, most hooks come in plastic pouches.
Before digital cameras came out, 35 mm film came in small plastic cylinders with lids that worked well for this purpose too. I still have a few of them around somewhere.

a dip can also works

When I am mailing multiple flies of different sizes or patterns in a single plastic box, I usually cut a piece of 2mm foam slightly smaller than the box lid, put it on top of the fly compartments and then tape the box shut so that none of the flies can be jostled out of their compartments due to USPS handling. Then I either use a Priority box or a simple padded envelope as the exterior and away we go....

Any plastic container and stuff it in a padded envelope.

Have the post office mark it as hand sorted only.

Don't use an envelop with a metal clasp, they cost extra to mail.

Fishing flies that don't mind being mangled go into a ziplock baggie then nito an "if it fits it ships" envelope.

Show flies or presentiation flies go into a small plastic 25 card baseball card holder with baby blanket batting on the inside, then into "if it fits it ships" small box.

Prescription bottle ana a padded envelope has worked best for me.

Solo cups have arrived crushed several times.

Hook them in 2 mm foam, cut to size, place in a bubble wrap envelope and mail them.

depends on the flies

i certainly wouldnt send out or want to receive dry flies stuffed into a zip lock bag then stuffed into a bubble pack envelope only to find them crushed during shipping

for fly swaps i use the following boxes

this one is in the bead section at michaels craft store

box%203_zps53szl2ed.jpg

vhs tape box for larger flies

box%205_zpsqsgcr4io.jpg

altoids type tin for the small stuff

box%201_zps1kxcn7vn.jpg

Altoid/mint tins. Piece y craft foam inside as a fly patch.

Depends. For swaps I use old plastis VHS tape holders. Put some foam on the bottom to hold the flies and put them in an envelope. Would do the same for any flies I mail.

Back