MEAT CHUCKERS --- Article(s) for you!

Night_Stalker

Night_Stalker

The Art of Persuasion: Donkey Edition
by Dave Karczynski

Photo by P.A. Rech

Article about Dave Karczynski and Tom Lynch fishing Tom's "Triple D" fly.

I was holding one of these at Yellow Breeches Outfitters back on Back Friday weekend...the Orvis rep had one and stated that they would soon offer them on their site.

http://midcurrent.com/experts/art-of-persuasion-the-donkey-edition/

ALSO:
the current issue of Fly Fusion, Winter Issue has an article by the same two people called "Winter Gold"

Attachments

• mcflies-300x300.jpg
    mcflies-300x300.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 1459084_694401447260181_1082797255_n.jpg
    1459084_694401447260181_1082797255_n.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 2
My buddy Brandon started tying some with twister like tails a couple of years ago. The problem is it takes 2 chickens, 2 hooks, beads, wire and 20 minutes to whip up one of these monstrosities.

Kray.... you gotta try these or something similar if you haven't already.

About four years ago I started thinking a lot about articulated streamers up at the Delaware. Around that time I finally reached a point where I could head up there and do reasonably well. That said, there were a few misses during that time that got my imagination going, leading me to articulated streamers.

Fast forward to last year, I hit my stride in tying them, got into using sinking lines, and this past year caught at least three or four 20 inchers up there, one at about 25, on articulated streamers exclusively.

I'm a believer, and I'm not even 100% convinced that we walked on the moon (Thanks Kubrick!).

Sorry if I mistook your comment, btw, if you were speaking about this pattern in particular.

I feel very passionately about big *** streamers, so I get ahead of myself.

I've read nothing but good things about this fly.

I tied a couple of em up recently, but haven't gotten a good chance to test them out. They do look awesome.

No pictures, but here's an explanation of the tying process:

http://www.frankenfly.com/tommy-lynch-double-d-and-triple-d-explained/

How do these hold up after a good chomping? Feathers on patterns like these make me wary of trying them out.

I was talking about this the other day with a friend when discussing Kelly Galoups streamer camp, which is $1,500 for three days or something (insane!), but basically..... how many different giant streamer patterns do you need after you develop a few tried and true ones?

There's no right or wrong answer, only the time you spend on them.

David,

I'm not completely sold on the giant stuff. I rowed for DaveS one morning and he tossed 5" articulated stuff. He landed 4-5 fish 20-23".....including a follow from a fish in the 26"+ class. I've also been been part of 2 consecutive days (nearly 15 river miles) "junk" hurling without a single follow.

Unless the stars are aligned, it seems you get all or nothing. I'm thinking about downsizing to a more traditional sized streamer. We'll do a little of each and see which produces better.

The day I got my 25"er, it was the only hit I had on it all day. But what a hit.

You get what you give.

Well, I'm going to give it a valid effort this year. After an hour, I would normally lose interest. May force myself by taking only a streamer rod on a float once or twice.

Can u use these in a fly fishing only area or do u have to snip one of the hooks off

Never thought of that. Good question. You can use multi-fly rigs but I think the regs might mention "single hook with fur/feathers blah, blah". Anyone know the answer for sure?

Check your local regs RE hooks. Most of the water I will be chuck in' in do not have regs.

I have been considering the down-sized options. Because 1. I currently do not have enough supplies to allow for that scale, and 2. I want to actually be able to fish with it. Maybe build up to the 12" sucker / fallfish size. Going out throwing big muskie lures/plugs just makes me laugh while I am doing it.

jay348---thanks for the link. It will take a while to digest due to the length…

Depending on the body of water…catching just one nice fish is a common experience. My past couple weeks have produced single large fish following to the end of a retrieve and promptly thumbing their nose at me and gone in a tenth of a second. The same areas, I am hoping later into the winter, will offer multiple large fish in one area during the same visit…they have in the past.

Additionally, drinking and mind altering are involved…Read the articles!

Attached are some pics of Tom Lynch and fish caught on his flies...

Attachments

• 408498_457162754350727_1474697948_n.jpg
    408498_457162754350727_1474697948_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 1520737_618625688204432_455166697_n.jpg
    1520737_618625688204432_455166697_n.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 1
Back