Lucky fishing items

W

Wmass

I was wondering if anyone else has any "lucky" fly fishing items? I am not overly superstitious but when I was a younger guy and learning to fish I had an old wicker creel that was priceless and it seemed like whenever I brought it fishing, the creel was full when I left the lake or pond (don't scold me for keeping fish, back in the day my father owned a pond and a lake in VT full of reproducing trout). The creel was accidently sold at a yard sale years ago and I wish I could get it back. Anyone have similar items that bring them luck on the water?

I always have my old man's thermometer with me.

He passed ten years ago this week - Thanks for reminding me- (I mean it.)

My lucky fishin’ hat! That hat has seen it all: FF trips out-west in Montana, Colorado, Wyoming, Idaho, New Mexico, California, as well as fishing in Alaska, Canada, Maine, Florida, New York, and many, many PA streams and rivers. I’ve lost it and recovered it countless times by swimming after it when wading, paddling like mad in a kayak through the rapids to recover it, and motoring after it in a boat. This past season, I stepped on a beehive while walking along the stream; I used my hat to swat the swarm while sprinting away. I ended up with over a dozen bee stings, but worse than that, I lost my lucky hat in the melee. I went back for it and got nailed twice more retrieving it.

My lucky hat is faded, stained, and is falling apart now, but I sew and tape it up to keep it together. I’ve been trying to break in a new fishin hat, but none of them seem to work as well. It will be a sad day when that hat either disintegrates on my head or is lost for good. I’ve thought of retiring it and putting it on my mantle. Maybe next season.

Afish - after that incident, I think that the luck has run out of that hat

For me it's quite the opposite. Every time I bring out a friend of mine fly fishing for the first time, we get skunked! This has happened about a half a dozen times. I talk up about how great this stream is and how we're bound to catch fish..... NOTHING! After the first time, we end up hooking into fish, but that first time never fails. I guess I should find happiness in solitude lol.

My buddy zen has a fly fishing buddha. Small idol he occasionally finds in his vest while we take breaks- we then each rub the belly for good luck.

Ryfy - I've had that same thing happen to me many times. That must definitely be one of Murphy's Laws

Nothing lucky, but a ton of superstitions:

1. Never catch a fish on the first cast, and definately if you hook one on the first cast don't loose him. It's all down hill from there.

2. Never put my waders on before reaching the stream. Sure it saves time, but the fishing gods don't like it.

3. There are 2 people that whenever I fish with them something bad happens (hole in waders, broken rods- twice, right after saying I never broke a rod)

I don't believe in luck, but I do have a few FF trinkets that I keep around.

I always keep a generic attractor nypmh or wet fly in the visor of my car. I like how it looks, it reminds me of fishing when stuck on 76, and it's come in handy when I forgot fly boxes.

dryflyguy wrote: "I've had that same thing happen to me many times. That must definitely be one of Murphy's Laws."

See that dryfly, if you wore my lucky hat, that would never happen to you.

i wear the same camo shirt and hat everytime I fish

I also had a lucky fishing hat. I got it when I started fly fishing. That hat saw and experience a ton. Well, I float stock several streams. I have been doing this for years. Well, I used to have a Toyota 4-runner. Traded it in for a Tundra. Well, I am used to closing the hatch and driving off. Needless to say, my first float stocking with my new truck I left the tailgate down. My Simms waders, boots, a few other things and of course my lucky hat were in a tub that fell off the back. I drove around looking for it; I stopped and questioned guys fishing if they came across it; I checked with the local fly shop. NO luck. But, I was able to get a new fishing hat that is my new lucky fishing hat. It was hard at first to get used to it, but as time wore on and there were new experiences, it is now my new lucky fishing hat.

Unlike Jay, I do believe in luck-- I just don't believe it is effected by anything you carry, rub, say, etc. However, when I used to fish with my family off a boat in the river, we noticed that anytime you walked to the rear to let some water go over the side, the fish would finally bite, but you'd miss the fish by the time you zipped up and got to your rod. So, when the bite was slow, we would announce to the fish that we were going to take a leak in the hope this would encourage them to bite.

hat and tshirt

and my fishing mojo but thats between me and my wife :)

I had a kidney stone removed about 10 years ago and take it with me every time I fish. It means a lot to me.

I always carry Green Inchworms in my fly boxes. They often change my luck for the better. But only when tied onto the tippet.

I had a camo shirt that I wore all the time untill , one Jam Jack Steel made fun of it , so I quit waring it. Come to think of it I haven't had much luck since.

It's coming out of the moth ball this year...sorry Jack!

PaulG

Damn Paul....you're right. You can wear that shirt everyday if it keeps you healthy and on the water.

Maybe let me wear one of them too. :-(

It should be noted that the "fun" Jack made of it was that everyday for three days at the Jam, Paul had this Camo fishing shirt on. When confronted to "do the laundry", he reported that he has several of the same shirt.

Lucky is lucky whether a stinky shirt or a rabbits foot....'cept'in fer da wabbit!

At 75 I consider myself lucky to have the energy to go fish! When my Uncle and I used to travel to Spring Creek for the hatches, we went up Spruce Creek Vally beause it was always a pretty drive, that plus some beautiful farms, the thoughts then were "If The Cows Are Up The Fish Are Up" meaning the cows were up feeding.

Back