Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: Lower Magalloway River, Wilson's Mills, Maine

smb are not native to Maine and were illegally stocked, Mainers don't want them and the fisheries people want them removed. If you catchem killem.
That fish could have kept till you got back to where you were staying. Kill it buy a bag of ice and a newspaper.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 17:53

TimB, I've already expressed my regret that I wasn't better prepared to creel and keep the bass to eat. You're making it sound as if I got some sort of gratification from killing the fish and tossing it on the bank (although rest assured, some other creature got an easy meal out of it.) That isn't the case.

My mistake was in not being better prepared for the possibility, or eventuality, that I'd catch a fish in the Magalloway that I'd feel obligated to not return to the water. I knew from a previous visit that the only nearby source for ice was at least a 45 minute drive, and it closed at no later than 9pm. By the time I drove through Rangeley, the entire town was shut down. I gassed up at an unmanned pump there.

I should have brought a cooler with me and bought ice in advance. I didn't have a knife to clean the fish, either. It's a risk to eat spoiled fish. I didn't feel like taking that risk.

I thought I'd communicated these regrets in my initial message. At this point, I've done all of the explaining and/or apologizing that I care to do. This discussion is at the brink of becoming another one of the exercises in acrimonious hair-splitting that I alluded to earlier, if it hasn't gotten there already. Someone else will have to worry that one. I'm done with that portion of this topic thread.

Posted on: 2013/8/27 22:22

From Harrisburg
Quote:

TimB wrote:
But killing/tossing ANY fish on the bank in the context of recreational fishing just seems silly and pointless to me.

Dear Tim,

Not only is it pointless and silly but it is also illegal in every State I've ever held a fishing license. Every State has rules and regulations for disposal of fish, and game, for that matter. Dropping and leaving a carcass not an accepted method anywhere I've ever fished.

I sure hope barbless sent his fine payment in!

Regards,

Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2013/8/27 22:39
"Then the coal company came with the world's largest shovel, and they tortured the timber and stripped all the land. Well they dug for their coal till the land was forsaken, then they wrote it all down as the progress of man."

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

TimMurphy wrote:
Quote:

TimB wrote:
But killing/tossing ANY fish on the bank in the context of recreational fishing just seems silly and pointless to me.

Dear Tim,

Not only is it pointless and silly but it is also illegal in every State I've ever held a fishing license. Every State has rules and regulations for disposal of fish, and game, for that matter. Dropping and leaving a carcass not an accepted method anywhere I've ever fished.

Regards,

Tim Murphy

And yet, in Alaska they have requirements in some rivers that you must return the carcass or what's left of it to the river. Or so I have read. So go figure.

There are reasons for this, especially on salmon fisheries.

Barbless, I love smallmouth, but I likely would have done the same thing even though my effort wouldn't even make a dent. Raccoons and vultures need to eat, too.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 7:24

From Landenberg, PA
Quote:
Dear Tim,

Regards,

Tim Murphy

actually Tim, when I fished up there in 2010 with a local, I was told to do the same.

i was encouraged to do this to help the wild population of minks and protect the juvi salmon.

its accepted practice up there, so who are we to judge ?

i know this cos i saw a dead bass about 5.6" and asked about it. my bud told me it would never be there next day.

better that the otters take dead invasive bass, than live juvi salmon/ brookies imho.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 13:43

From Lehighton, PA
Dear Barbless,

Good for you and I'm sure you would've rather been prepared to clean & eat the fish yourself (your regret certainly wasn't clouded from my comprehension of your post) but rest assured that fish was consumed and it's nutrients returned to the ecosystem. I wouldn't worry too much about one or two flyfishers that are under the delusion that because they wouldn't hurt a fly that somehow fishing is no longer a blood sport.

Regards,

Ryan Rush

Posted on: 2013/8/28 14:27

From Fairborn, OH
Not to stoke the flames here, but in certain areas here in the continental West it's not only perfectly legal, but expected and required to kill certain invasive species upon catch. In Utah, where I fish regularly, some bonehead decided to release Northen Pike below the Flaming Gorge Dam on the Green River, and otherwise excellent trout fishery. The state took action in the form of its anglers and a new regulation. That said, I might have missed any part regarding specific carcass disposal requirements, but as far as I can tell there aren't any. They just want the pike dead:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/560 ... pike-green-river.html.csp

Here it is directly stated (from the 2013 Utah fishing guide, pg. 35):

Quote:
Catch-and-kill regulation:
This regulation requires anglers to immediately
kill any northern pike or walleye they catch
in the Green River.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 21:42

From Chester County
At one time or another, most of us make judgements about our streams and rivers as anglerologists. And some of us act based on our beliefs, rather than actual studies and facts and data. Not a good practice. But, when the actual fisheries biologists study an ecosystem and warn about an invasive introduction threatening a native species, we should all do our part to at least try to make it right.

I believe it's kind of lame (and irresponsible) to knowingly release an invasive species back into the ecosystem because we are not carrying a stringer, fillet knife and cooler.

Posted on: 2013/8/29 6:46

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com