Looks Like Our Little Crick Is Famous

littlejuniata

littlejuniata

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=little+juniata&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2

Just replying based on your handle. Do you know of any rental houses on the little juniata? Trying to set up a trip.
-mark

There is a very nice home at "The Quarry" pictured in the link I posted, also there are some around Spruce Creek and a small cabin just below the Canpground at Baree

http://pic80.picturetrail.com/VOL2064/11513716/20553543/353317004.jpg My house this morning, Little J 15 minutes, Lake Raystown 1 minute, great smallie fishing 5 minutes. Love that sunshine in Feb. GO STEELERS. FORTY DEGREES now, that has been a while!

And to think I have never fished the LJ. In fact I don't think I have even driven by it. I've got to make a point of getting on the stream this year. What section should I start with?

Depends on what you like, big water is downstream from Spruce Creek, actually the river is sort of two different types, Spruce Creek adss more limestone water and make the stream bigger plus changes the insect life a little. Little J loyalists consider Rainbows to be an invasive specie!

it seems that you have just made it a bit more famous with this post!...:)

Just met our new neighbors from Lancaster, we must have something going here, the Lake folks come from Harrisburg, York and Lancaster the fly fishermen come from Pittsburgh.

The one problem that always seems to follow a stream getting attention, is the number of folks fishing it. I've had your stream sitting in my want to drive out and hit list, but I can't deal with shoulder to shoulder fishing. It pains me to hit special Reg streams at this time of year with the sun shining because it brings out too many folks. Give me a native stream way back in the sticks where I can be alone with the trout and thats heaven to me. Heck even when we hit the Lake Erie tribs, we will walk a few miles upstream, or simply get permission to climb in where no one else gets to, just to have fresh fish or a spot that few folks want to walk into.

AlwaysWading wrote:
but I can't deal with shoulder to shoulder fishing..

I have lived in PA for 24 + 15 =39 years and have NEVER fished shoulder to shoulder with the exception of opening day...and in recent years have not had to do that then either. The other exception would be Erie at the lake...

tomgamber wrote:
AlwaysWading wrote:
but I can't deal with shoulder to shoulder fishing..

I have lived in PA for 24 + 15 =39 years and have NEVER fished shoulder to shoulder with the exception of opening day...and in recent years have not had to do that then either. The other exception would be Erie at the lake...

About 17 years here. I can say the same, though my memories of the sub-9 year old years may be foggy.

I should add that a google image search doesn't say much:

http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=en&q=wissahickon+creek&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=pickering+creek&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.com/images?q=drainage%20ditch&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a&hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

I have fished the river for over thirty years, it used to be way more crowded than now, you really have to move if you want to talk to another fisherman. Heck the link was a google link, like no one ever saw this stuff before, it is a big river lots of room. Huntingdon has a pile of trout streams, plus the Juniata River and Lake Raystwon to absorb absoultely tons of fishermen, plus Centre County is only 30 miles away. http://images.google.com/images?um=1&hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=standing+stone+creek&btnG=Search+Images

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&q=trough+creek&btnG=Search+Images&gbv=2 I am afraid to link Spruce Creek

It is a lovely river and can take a lot of pressure, but I have to agree that it is a shame it gets overpublicized so, so much. This over publicizing of the LJR results in shoulder to shoulder fishing, esp. on weekends and holidays. For instance, last year I got a day of grannom fishing in (which is really new to me) before the word got out. The next time I went there, there was not room to enter anyplace without crowding other fishermen, so I drove on and fished the water elsewhere for brook trout. I know guys who live closer than I do, who love the river, and like to fish it often, but they often lament that they can't find a place to fish in peace after a tough day at work. A sign of the times, I guess.

Hey Rich leave the weekends and Holidays for the working guys, heck they drive miiles to fish here after planning all year, I go out but only with my camera.

I was fishing the grannoms on the little j last year - on a friday.
I was at the well know "cornfield hole", and pretty much had the place to myself in the afternoon.
Around dinner time, other fisherman started to move in, and it got a little crowded.
I just moved downstream about a mile or so, and found a very productive stretch - with no one else around - and full of rising trout.
If you're willing to move, and do some walking, I think that you can still find secluded spots there

I fish the LJ a few times a year, never found it crowded, It usually on week days. Last year Maurice ran into three guys, most I ever seen, in one section.

PaulG

Paul,

They were spin fishermen (two years ago) and believe it or not, they gave a very large margin before stepping back in.

Last year when I was with Fred we cam in on a couple guys and they had a pretty large stretch tied up. We asked which way they were headed and it was obvious they were rooted there. I got in at the head of the riffs and fished a while, then Fred and I moved upstream.

But yeah, thats the only times I have ever had company on the river....other than the times I was part of a bus trip from the burg.

rrt wrote:
For instance, last year I got a day of grannom fishing in (which is really new to me)

Where did you hear about the grannom hatch there, out of raw curiosity?

It's a two way street.

1. Well, you've got me. I knew the LJ had grannoms from reading Internet posts over the years. I was there about the time I thought they might be hatching. I guess you have gotten me on this one. Touche (to me).
2. Normally at this point, I would go into a rant about kissing and telling on streams and how that causes many problems due to overcrowding, but I do not want to start one of those acrimonious discussions.
3. I know Comparadun loves the LJR. When he posts about it, it is because he wants others to love the river as much as he does.

rrt wrote:
2. Normally at this point, I would go into a rant about kissing and telling on streams and how that causes many problems due to overcrowding, but I do not want to start one of those acrimonious discussions.

Like it or not, innovations in technology and communication impact our society in many ways. It's useless to fight against that, and many (particularly of my generation) would argue that it's also not really a fight worth waging. It's not called the "information age" for nothing, and eventually the culture of expecting the secrecy of many of the better streams will disappear. All of the chicken littles are also saying that the numbers of fly fishermen are declining, and the sport is doomed... which is it?

It is ridiculous to expect a beginner fly fisherman to ignore the available resources and to set out blindly to find streams. I'd be willing to bet that our forefathers hated that the newbies were out there spot burning with their newfangled topo atlases and telephone calls to fly shops too. Eventually, our culture must accept innovation.

The fear of modern information exchange bears no fruit, rather we need to accept new directions that the sport is taking. I'd be willing to guarantee that finding solitude will not be a problem in my lifetime. If the claims about drastically declining numbers of fishermen are true, I've also got no fears for my children having the ability to find the same... as long as they don't use strike indicators when they do it.

I subscribe to the jackm theory of information exchange. If I tell the world about a new spot and they all go there, then by default, there will be other waters that will have fewer anglers. The only cases in which I'll hide information are when a) someone asks me to keep a secret that they've let me in on, and b) if the stream literally cannot stand the pressure for ecological reasons.

If it's not "spot burning", then it's just "bragging". Some people just like to complain.

Edit:

I should add that the hording of information is the absolute worst way to ensure our numbers for the future. Call it spoon feeding if you want, but the culture is changing. If we want people to be interested, we've got to attempt to help them to succeed. Any other viewpoint, in my opinion, is just selfishness under the familiar headings of "the most enjoyable part is searching for new water." While I may agree with that, not everyone does. If we want people to break into the sport, we can't force them to conform to that, especially given the proliferation of posting and development around our streams.

Back