Little yellow stone flies

buffalo7

buffalo7

The little yellow stone flies have been hatching for a couple weeks, but right now as I'm sitting here, they are comeing off heavy but the river is to high to wade do to the high gradiant here, so it is unfishable. I useualy tie #18 Henrys Fork yellow Sallies or Little yellow Stone fly with yellow elk hair.

Does anyone out there tie for yellow stone fly hatches? What patterns do you use?
The reason I'm wondering is because there is a lot going on now with hatches, most people are fishing the Mayfly Hatches.

(I didn't kill the Stonefly in the pic, I took it from a spider, there are plenty more out there, he won't starve.)

Attachments

• IMG_7034.JPG
    IMG_7034.JPG
    746.3 KB · Views: 4
OOOOH Im tellin PETA buffalo7 is starting a campaign to strategically exterminate spiders :-o

But to answer your question in a round about way, alot of brookie streams have large populations of little yellow stones, although I have never needed a specific pattern to raise a brook trout to the surface, I think the caddis pattern i use imitates them well enough; slender profile and it sits low in the water.

I use this for the sallies, hatching and egg laying

Attachments

• 1-6-2011 028.jpg
    1-6-2011 028.jpg
    59.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 11-23-2010 036.jpg
    11-23-2010 036.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 1
Sandfly,
They look good, they're caddis style flies, like the Kings River caddis and Tent Wing caddis.

What material do you use for the wings? I use quill wings for those type of flies, I'm not up on the synthetics.

Rafia aka swiss straw is my guess. Sandfly loves the stuff.

ryguyfi wrote:
Rafia aka swiss straw is my guess. Sandfly loves the stuff.

Yea, I didn't think of that, I have some, but not in yellow.

Back