Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 17 »

Re: Little J No More

From Other side of the tracks
Dude, I don't think anyone is advocating removal of C&R regulation on all streams. I don't think anyone is advocating removing those regs from the Little J, either. I think a couple of you have read into this too far. I am one of the people who said I usually avoid fishing special regulations areas. However, I think they are a good thing for the most part. It gives the yuppies a place to fish. i spend my days around yuppies, I don't need to go fishing with them Seriously, I don't have a problem with the fish commission selections. they are doing a good job. just don't tell Mike.

Now, about your reference to human's record on preserving our natural environment. We usually learn from our mistakes. When was the last time you ever heard of a species going extinct twice. OK, That was another joke (a bad one). However, I feel we are doing a much better job of it than we have in the past. Whitetail deer were vertually exterpated from PA at the same time as their predators. They were to the point where they had to be reintroduced from Mich. It's true!. We now have more deer than at any time before. Wild turkey are another success story. And lets talk about trout. There are probably more wild trout in PA streams now than there were 75 years ago. There are certainly more streams that hold trout than there was back then. Without trees, you don't have many trout. There are now more trees in PA then there was a century ago. The Allegheny National Forest? When it was created in 1923, it was nicknamed the Allegheny Brush-patch, because their weren't any trees left. It grew back quickly because there were no deer, but that is another story. Anyway, humans do often learn from thier mistakes. I do believe the PF&BC study that showed that the majority of angers who fish for wild trout practice C&R.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 13:50

From Southeast PA
Quote:
I do believe the PF&BC study that showed that the majority of angers who fish for wild trout practice C&R.

I believe it too. I just don't believe that the conclusion should be that wild trout streams need no additional protection from overharvest.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:11

From lancaster county
well said... in fact they need more protection.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:13

From Southeast PA
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Dude, I don't think anyone is advocating removal of C&R regulation on all streams. I don't think anyone is advocating removing those regs from the Little J, either. I think a couple of you have read into this too far.

I don't agree: "What really bothers me are the catch and release regulations….. I think blanket catch and release regulations are wrong."

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:16

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Dude, I don't think anyone is advocating removal of C&R regulation on all streams. I don't think anyone is advocating removing those regs from the Little J, either. I think a couple of you have read into this too far.

I don't agree: "What really bothers me are the catch and release regulations….. I think blanket catch and release regulations are wrong."

Now I'm confused. Maybe it was in my wording, because you and I seem to rarely disagree on this type of subject.

I think "blanket" C&R regs are wrong too, but i don't have a problem with them on select stream sections that have the potential for large trout and also have excessive fishing pressure.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:28

FarmerDave:

I probably should have phrased my comment a little bit better. When I talked about people destroying their environment, I meant when we do not regulate hunting/fishing/construction/pollution, etc. The reason why things are getting better is because of strict regulations which don't allow people to do whatever they want to to our natural wildlife and resources without considering the consequences. The comments you have made strengthen this argument.

I'm not too sure of your definition of a yuppie, but I figure what you mean is someone who fishes with a large wallet, no ears, and a big mouth. If thats the case, I love fishing with them! It's always a good ego boost when I'm catching fish left and right, while the people with $1000 rods and more flybox's than I have fingers are complaining about getting skunked.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:31

From Southeast PA
FD, you said that you didn't think anyone was advocating removal of C&R regs. I was quoting Trubski. That's what he said in his original post, which as far as I'm concerned means he is advocating removal of C&R regs. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been clearer about what I was saying.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:33

From Southeast PA
Quote:

thedude1534 wrote:
I'm not too sure of your definition of a yuppie, but I figure what you mean is someone who fishes with a large wallet, no ears, and a big mouth.

....with a rod in one hand and a cell phone in the other while loudly discussing their latest big sale.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:39

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
FD, you said that you didn't think anyone was advocating removal of C&R regs. I was quoting Trubski. That's what he said in his original post, which as far as I'm concerned means he is advocating removal of C&R regs. Sorry for the confusion, I should have been clearer about what I was saying.

Now i see. thanks. On the other hand, Trubski also went on to say this in a later post. "I don't really have an agenda for the river, CR is probably the best solution, but it has changed it for me." That is why I said i didn't think anyone in this thread was advocating removing the C&R from that stream. I still could be wrong, but I'll bet the numbers are small.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 14:58

Quote:

thedude1534 wrote:
FarmerDave:

I probably should have phrased my comment a little bit better. When I talked about people destroying their environment, I meant when we do not regulate hunting/fishing/construction/pollution, etc. The reason why things are getting better is because of strict regulations which don't allow people to do whatever they want to to our natural wildlife and resources without considering the consequences. The comments you have made strengthen this argument.

I'm not too sure of your definition of a yuppie, but I figure what you mean is someone who fishes with a large wallet, no ears, and a big mouth. If thats the case, I love fishing with them! It's always a good ego boost when I'm catching fish left and right, while the people with $1000 rods and more flybox's than I have fingers are complaining about getting skunked.

Good point dude. Without regulations, we would probably screw it up again.

The yuppie thing was a joke, but if I were serious... I have nothing against the expensive gear or anyone who can afford them. I just can't see myself paying more for a fly rod than I would for a good chainsaw. The no ears and big mouth are on the money though.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 15:13

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:
Quote:

thedude1534 wrote:
I'm not too sure of your definition of a yuppie, but I figure what you mean is someone who fishes with a large wallet, no ears, and a big mouth.

....with a rod in one hand and a cell phone in the other while loudly discussing their latest big sale.

Where have you been Wulff-Mann? These guys now have bluetooth, so the cell phone can stay on their belt while they talk.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 15:16

Quote:

Wulff-Man wrote:

Wulff -

You're right, I did write that, and I should have been clearer. I am definitely not advocating changing the regulations on the LittleJ. I don't like them, and I think we lose something with them, but on the other hand I have no good alternative to suggest. I'll just go fish somewhere else - that isn't so crowded :)

Posted on: 2007/5/10 15:40

From Monessen, PA
Quote:

trubski wrote:
I'll just go fish somewhere else - that isn't so crowded :)

I hear the Franky ain't half bad....

Posted on: 2007/5/10 16:49

From Ohio
Good debate.

I find it fascinating how different the general ethic is so different in the two "bloodsports" I do regularily....fly fishing for trout and hunting deer.

This past year, their was an organization (The World Hunting Federation) who wanted to have competative "catch and release" hunting by shooting deer with tranquilizer darts and keeping score of their rack sizes. This was resoundingly declared unethical by the hunting community becasue it inflicted pain and caused stress on the animal with no purpose except entertainment. In hunting, inflicting pain on animals without harvest for food, hides, etc is generally considered unethical.

I then contrast this with my C and R fly-fishing......I inflict pain and degrade trout habitat for nothing but my own jollies.

Needless to say, it all makes me very conflicted.

Posted on: 2007/5/10 18:06

From Blair County
Well its a good idea you are going to stop fishing the lil j .. After the recent release form the tyrone water and sewer plant . The amount of ammonia , and or other bio chem has killed the marcro and fisheries for a good stretch . Dont believe ask the DEP and the case that is presently pending. Also THE FISH KILL PICS ARE POSTED ALL OVER THE NET. I live on the the j , and I wont step a foot in it .. I fish spring creek which is over 30 minutes away ... Either way have fun buying new waders and fly line after the chemo destroys them ....

Posted on: 2007/5/10 21:44

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 17 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com