Lititz Run article

wgmiller

wgmiller

http://articles.lancasteronline.com/local/4/230140

Now is the time to think about re-introduction of native fishes to the stream, before invasives have a chance to take hold. Overall a great effort.

This is a multi-faceted, complex, and exemplary project, but stocked trout are already present so the introduction of native species would not serve its intended purpose. Additionally, I was unaware that any PFBC survey had officially documented wild trout as being present.

The PFBC survey might not have...but i can tell you for a fact Mike I have caught wild bows in Lititz Run. They are very few and far between but i know they are wild. Unless they started stockin 5 inch trout :)

Note that I said nothing about native trout, but the impact of past and present pollution has all but eliminated native fishes. Yes maybe some have returned, but a true restoration effort should imclude all species native to the streams, which means stocking big hatchery hogs is not part of the plan. However I understnad that for most people being able to stock fish again is the goal. It should be. That's not a goal it's an amusment park.
If there are wild trout in Lititz Run that's great, but my understanding is that it will never hold higher numbers of wild trout until the nitrogen levels are lowered.

Back