Lititz Run Fly Fish ONLY! coming soon...

slay12345

slay12345

I have been fishing Lititz Run C&R area recently and spoke with the land owner (Mr. Thompson) about some rumors I heard recently.
He confirmed that the C&R area will no longer be artificial lure and is in the makings to become FLY FISH ONLY.
It's alot easier to break the rules with all tackle vs fly fishing gear. So we will be seeing a change soon.

This is due to the high number of poachers last year wiping out alot of the population. He said he watches over the stream and will investigate "shady" individuals and run them off for trespassing by not following the posted property rules.

He also gave me (and other rule abiding fisher-people) permission to ask people to leave if we witness them not following the rules. His first line of defense is often snapping a photo of the individual then strolling over to the parking area and taking pics of license plates to document the event.

Signs (lots of them) are in the works with the new rules and I will post the tackle change as soon as I get word that it has gone into effect.

Nice

I have mixed feelings on this.

Yes the poaching has been a problem since the project started (1996). It is legal according to the state to keep fish there but it is illegal to trespass. The landowners request that you don't keep fish in order to be allowed to fish there.

That said, a lot of monies have been put into this stream. Grants, TU funds, Land Studies and a lot of hard work from a lot of volunteers.

As much as I hate to admit that the new regs and new signs will make a difference in the poaching, Im sad that people will now be excluded from this fine piece of water. I used to take a few of my spin friends down there because it was one place we could fish side by side and have an enjoyable day. Those days are soon over.

I'm a big advocate for stream access for all and this is counter productive to the cause. I can understand the landowners wishes and in the end, he has the final say. Damn shame, it only ever does take a few to ruin it for everyone.

I haven't ever fished there, and most likely never will.

That said, I agree with sal's statements. Seems to me that the stream's going to lose a few friends.

I've never been there and chances are good I never will. In general and in the bigger picture, I agree with Jay and Sal. Strictures that reduce the number of stakeholders or people who care about a given stream are a mixed bag. Perhaps good for the individual water in question but less good for the well being of the sport.

Still, I'm confused by this sentence:

>>It's alot easier to break the rules with all tackle vs fly fishing gear.>>

I don't think there is an easier or more effective form of tackle to fish worms or other live bait to trout in small to medium size streams than a fly rod.

RLeep2 wrote:
I don't think there is an easier or more effective form of tackle to fish worms or other live bait to trout in small to medium size streams than a fly rod.

But who does it???? I can only recall ever seeing 2 people fishing live bait on a fly rod. It's just not a typical practice. (I'm only counting trout fishing... I've seen a good handful of people do it for steelhead)

I understood it, he's just saying people who legally spin fished it previously, will not participate in supporting stream due to not being able to spin fish anymore.

I misread. nevermind.

It's his property, he can do as he wishes. folks that fish there should be happy he is letting even fly fishers fish the stream and not just posting it as closed. yes, it's a shame that some folks will be left out, but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the whole batch. are there other areas of the stream accessible to spin/bait fishers?
and hey, they can always try flyfishing!

ryguyfi wrote:
RLeep2 wrote:

But who does it???? I can only recall ever seeing 2 people fishing live bait on a fly rod. It's just not a typical practice. (I'm only counting trout fishing... I've seen a good handful of people do it for steelhead)

It's really quite common. The fly rod can be a superior tool for fishing bait, and a lot of people (mainly old timers) know it. I've caught a few with that method myself, back in my younger days.

It's the number one method during the salmon run, too.

bikerfish wrote:
It's his property, he can do as he wishes. folks that fish there should be happy he is letting even fly fishers fish the stream and not just posting it as closed. yes, it's a shame that some folks will be left out, but it only takes a few bad apples to spoil the whole batch. are there other areas of the stream accessible to spin/bait fishers?
and hey, they can always try flyfishing!

I think you said it best. We should be fortunate that he is not closing the stream entirely... The logic of excluding spin fishermen from this stretch could be debated for years to come, but my opinion is in the long run, restricting it to FFO will be for the benefit of the stream. Cheaters can cheat with fly rods as well, but if the land owner wants to set the restriction of FFO, so be it.

It's not restricting anybody get fly rod and go fish!

>>But who does it????>>

Well, I truthfully don't know who does it any more. Maybe the entire thing has been gentrified beyond that now, given the price of fly rods, etc.

I don't know..

I do know this however:

It's how I learned and it's how everybody I grew up fishing with learned as well. You can easily do things with a worm on a fly rod that its all but impossible to do with a spinning outfit. You can flip and drop a worm in a specific spot and have an immediate tight line in case you have a quick take. You can poke that long fly pole through some of the most gawdawful tangles on any creek and drop the worm right next to (or in the middle of) a log jam. You can drift a worm down a run and be in far better touch with it than you ever could with a spin outfit.

It may not be as common as it once was, but I'll bet it still applies: Scratch a superior nymph fisherman and you'll find somebody who learned to handle bait that way when they were starting out. The 2 methods have a great deal in common..

Its a far more efficient tool for fishing bait and if guys aren't doing it any more, well, they should be..:)

salvelinusfontinalis wrote:
I have mixed feelings on this.

Yes the poaching has been a problem since the project started (1996). It is legal according to the state to keep fish there but it is illegal to trespass. The landowners request that you don't keep fish in order to be allowed to fish there.

That said, a lot of monies have been put into this stream. Grants, TU funds, Land Studies and a lot of hard work from a lot of volunteers.

As much as I hate to admit that the new regs and new signs will make a difference in the poaching, Im sad that people will now be excluded from this fine piece of water. I used to take a few of my spin friends down there because it was one place we could fish side by side and have an enjoyable day. Those days are soon over.

I'm a big advocate for stream access for all and this is counter productive to the cause. I can understand the landowners wishes and in the end, he has the final say. Damn shame, it only ever does take a few to ruin it for everyone.

I agree. Switching to FFO is likely to have little or no effect on poaching and serves to exclude other fishermen from the stream.

I agree w/ post from Alpha and some of what R leep had to say. Spin fishing is how most of us learned to fish. With that said, any place that has water is good enough to get started. My fist time was a trickle of a stream past the KOA in Hershey. Caught a bullhead on a crawler. I was tickled. As for "excluding" some from fishing it... Alpha is right on the money. Get a fly rod and learn how to catch them that way. Changing regs won't stop the poaching though. Those guys already know they're breaking the rules.... what's the diff if they break one more? I'm for 50% of all streams that support a 12 month fishery or natural reproduction to be changed to FFO and 1 fish a day limits. Fly fisherman pay for licenses too and buy the trout stamp. How many of you guys have ever been fined for fishing w/o a license compared to percentage of spin fishers w/o a license OR harvesting more than their limit?

by Alpabuck on 2010/5/17 17:24:38

It's not restricting anybody get fly rod and go fish!

A Freakin MEN!!!

right on, best response i have ever heard to the whiney "exclusion argument"

i fish this stream often and iv watched the big fish disappear for the past 2 years. and its upsetting to the people that do care for that stream. I will be watching for other fishermen on that stream when i am there and I will from this point on make it a point to go talk and say hello and see what "fly" they are using. Its our duty as stream stewarts,,,im excited for the new regs and I think it will do the stream well.

I have talked to Mr. Thompson a few times while fishing the lower meadow. He is a very nice guy and takes really great care of his property. Last year he planted lots of bushes and trees on the southern side of the stream. I noticed they have been growing well and within five years will provide a lot of shade to the stream. If he wants to make his property FFO, he has every right to do it. I wonder if the other landowners upstream are on board with this or if part of the current C&R will remain artificial lures only. I would also be curious to know when fish were poached from the stream. Since Lititz Run is not ATW it is illegal to keep fish from the end of Sept. until opening day the following year. Therefore, the PFBC could get involved when trout are kept during these months.

It is really amazing how many people fish the C&R compared to 5 or 10 years ago. When I started fly fishing in the late 90s, I used to walk 3/4 mile down to the C&R and have the place all to myself. The last few times I have been home, I have not been able to get a parking space at the lower meadow (on weekends). I think it is great that Lititz Run has gained recognition as a quality trout fishery; however, I think that the poaching problems were brought about as a result of the fishery's publicity. Lititz Run has been in the news and in the local newspapers over the past few years and fishing pressure has increased immediately following this publicity. Since Lititz Run is my home stream, I am happy to see it get recognition; however, I think too much publicity may result in some serious problems down the road. Minor issues like limited parking may lead to larger issues when people traveling 2 or 3 hours to fish at Lititz Run end up blocking a farm lane with their parked cars (I am still amazed when I see out of state license plates at Lititz Run). It would be nice to see DTU, Millport Conservancy, Lititz Run Watershed Alliance, Franklin & Marshall College, Lititz Sportsmen Association, and the private land owners develop a plan for the entire stream and determine the appropriate balance of publicity and privacy. Lititz Run is recognized nationally as a success story with regard to cold water fishery "restoration"; however, someone needs to acknowledge that this success has brought forth new challenges that need to be addressed now before things get out of hand. No offense to anyone in particular but there are a lot of naive fishermen (with respect of Lititz Run) that think the only good section of the stream is Mr. Thompson's lower meadow. There is also a lot of good fly fishing water outside the C&R that is under-utilized by the majority of fisherman, partly due to access and partly due to lack of knowledge. I think that future publicity should focus on these sections to help accommodate the increased fishing pressure. Lititz Run is a success story, but there is much more that needs to be done to maintain its success. A FFO section is fine, but it will not address the problems that have arisen over the past few years.

are there other areas of the stream accessible to spin/bait fishers?

Well the watershed does have two areas open to people with spin rods.

1. Riparian Park. Its the smallest section available and it gets pounded heavy. Interestingly enough, I think that section has the heaviest hatches. They have been getting better every year all over the stream but this is still the best place to find rising trout. I would guess this section to be 1/4 miles long.

2. The Conservancy. This is a place the place that you must be a member of Trout Unlimited, The Millport Conservancy and buy a 20 dollar badge to fish it per year. It is the nicest water in the entire stream , next to the Banta property which is closed to fishing, but its still C&R AFLO as far as I know. It might be possible that they will change those regs also.

That reminds me Slay. One of these weekends soon I am going to walk the Banta property and take pics. I remember you said you wanted to walk along and do the same. Maybe this weekend?

crs,

Your right about the parking. If my memory serves me correct they had to bulldoze and dig out the lower parking area that is already there. It would be nice to see more parking.

That lower end of the C&R IMO, is the worst section of the stream.

I'm with Alpa 100%. I was going to write the same thing but didn't want to hear all the righteous "don't exclude anyone" comments. Well said my friend.

Back