License Fee Decrease?

albatross

albatross

FARMINGTON — Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commissioners are hoping to increase participation in angling and generate new revenue by decreasing the cost of a fishing license.

They also are going to pursue a hike in the cost of a trout stamp.

TribLive Story...

Maybe buying that 5 year license wasn't so smart after all?

I expect PA TU to oppose any increase in the trout stamp unless the additional fees go to habitat improvement.

In the day and age of $50 rounds of golf, $4 coffees and $75 pro sport single game tickets. A $1 decrease seems silly. In addition, it's really an increase if the trout stamps are going up

If I was commissioner I would raise the license to $50. I would not change the pricing for seniors or military or disabled. But would bang everyone else. Come on, $50 for a whole year activity.

acristickid wrote:
In the day and age of $50 rounds of golf, $4 coffees and $75 pro sport single game tickets. A $1 decrease seems silly. In addition, it's really an increase if the trout stamps are going up

If I was commissioner I would raise the license to $50. I would not change the pricing for seniors or military or disabled. But would bang everyone else. Come on, $50 for a whole year activity.

I would have no problem paying $50 for a license (and I would hope that they would use my money wisely, given that it is a government agency, however, the chances are slim) but as the article points out that would most likely cause a dramatic decrease in license sales.

It noted in the article how the "Trout Stamp" would have to be raised to $17 or so and maintain the same amount of sales to actually cover the trout rearing and stocking programs. That is one more reason why the commission should start using their money more wisely and stock less fish and enhance habitat for more wild trout fisheries where possible. This, however, would also be a decision that would no doubt cause less license sales.

Guberment math:

General license 850K save $1

Trout stamp 500K raise $3

Net: 350K will save a buck, while 500K will pay $2 more.

Anyway, I believe the license fees should increase to match increased costs and expenses. Above, using Chinese math is kinda ridiculous, though.:roll:

Chaz the Trout Stamp is for and was created to fund the trout stocking program. Why on earth would a program in the red raise the price and put the money into another program?

And Paul, they are not trying to sell licenses for a year, just want to move that piece of paper for the dough. Sure we would pay $50. Maybe thats how it should be sold...in Seasonal Increments. $10.00/season. Jan -march and October - Dec. April - June, July-Sept $15. ea. ($50 for the whole year) They still get their trout stamp outta the deal for opening day.

I think lowering the license fee is silly too. By a dollar? Really? They should have commercials on TV if they want to sell licenses. Get the people off the couch and into the outdoors by reaching the people on the couch. I know when I watch TV I develop grand plans of fishing and other activities. And I have a fishing License. Imagine the ideas rolling around peoples heads during family TV night when the dad starts to reminisce about fishing with grandpa.

Ya can't just lower the price by a buck and expect people who are not thinking about it to buy one...If you want uninterested people to play Ya gotta hit them on the head like a steelhead laying i the project waters at Walnut.

You misspelt gubbermint.

afishinado wrote:
Guberment math:

General license 850K save $1

Trout stamp 500K raise $3

Net: 350K will save a buck, while 500K will pay $2 more.

Anyway, I believe the license fees should increase to match increased costs and expenses. Above, using Chinese math is kinda ridiculous, though.:roll:

I think New York State had a good idea by making a license purchase for 12 months from the date purchase. In other words, your license is valid for one year from the date of purchase, not for a calendar year. This time of year, very few anglers would purchase a license in October that would expire at the end of December.

In addition, NYS lowered the non resident license fee from $70 down to $50 for a one year license beginning this year. I would be very interested to see if the reduction and change to a 12 month running license period increasing angler participation and generates more revenue.

Yup, I got my non-Res full year NY Fishing License in August.

One day soon they will apply a tax increase and say it is to help out the schools in Filthadelphia. That's when I will go to NJ or DE to purchase my PA fishing License.

Get creative:

Residents--
One full year: $35
3-months (from purchase date): $25
1 month (from purchase date): $20
(keep other short-term licenses same)

Non-resident:
Same scheme as present with adjustments to the shorter term licenses of 3 and 1 month to mimic the premium charged to out-of-staters.

Trout Permit: same

If the trout stamp is not funding trout stocking then they need to raise the price of a trout stamp. Raise it significantly and lets stop playing around with the one dollar increases and decreases. TU members are still gonna buy the stamp as will all the opening day only trout fishermen. I'm still gonna buy the stamp not because I'm a trout fishermen but because I have to because I fish in a lot of trout waters.

At 32 bucks a PA fishing license with trout stamp is a steal. That's the price of a single case of quality beer or five packs of cigerrettes or 9 Big Macs, a 1/4 tank of gas, 3lbs of 85% lean ground beef, or the top eyelet to your favorite sage rod. Could anybody seriously argue about a 40 or 50 dollar license?

JackM wrote:
Get creative:

Residents--
One full year: $35
3-months (from purchase date): $25
1 month (from purchase date): $20
(keep other short-term licenses same)

Non-resident:
Same scheme as present with adjustments to the shorter term licenses of 3 and 1 month to mimic the premium charged to out-of-staters.

Trout Permit: same

I kind of like this idea and I am not being sarcastic. I'm not agreeing (or disagreeing) with your example fees, but the concept. Sounds quite progressive.;-)

A lot of trout anglers only fish for a month or three.

the people who only fish around opening day would go ballistic if the price was raised to $50. And like it or not, that represents a lot of people. I too would pay a lot higher price IF it would result in more enforcement etc.

I've seen this same type of discusion down here with the Del Div of Fish and Wildlife. Sales of permits/licenses are on the decline so the thinking is reduce the fee and hopefully more people will buy a licence and there will be a net gain in sales.
What the sportsman are talking about in my area is the decline in people teaching the younger population about the outdoors and so there's a decline in sales.

My problem is I need a trout stamp to fish for WILD trout. How is that pellethead stamp improving WILD trout habitat?

Aducker, Delaware recently required fishing licenses for tidal waters and shellfish. I bought my non-resident license this year. I would've thought that requirement would've brought more money into the state.

My problem is I need a trout stamp to fish for WILD trout. How is that pellethead stamp improving WILD trout habitat?

Not sure on your specific area, but most of the wild/native water near me is Class A, WBTE, or no qualifier at all. As such, they're not Approved Trout Waters, and are not subject to the laws requiring a trout stamp.

At least that's how I've always understood it (but I get the stamp anyway, so it's never been something I've had to look into thoroughly).

PFBC will probably do billboards for fishing same as the Game Commission is doing for hunting. I see them on the turnpike on my way home from work every day now.

NJ has been playing around with marketing the last few years too. With the new computerized license systems there is a lot of data now on who buys licenses. In NJ only 15% of fishermen buy a license every year. We regulars are in the minority. Most people get a license every 5 years, so the big question is always how to turn occasional fishermen into more regular customers. They already have us n the bag.

Cold wrote:

Not sure on your specific area, but most of the wild/native water near me is Class A, WBTE, or no qualifier at all. As such, they're not Approved Trout Waters, and are not subject to the laws requiring a trout stamp.

At least that's how I've always understood it (but I get the stamp anyway, so it's never been something I've had to look into thoroughly).

Cold, I used to think the same thing, but apparently you need a trout stamp to fish class A, special regs, and wilderness trout streams. Unstocked Class B, C, D are a gray area.

You also need a trout stamp on approved trout waters (stocked) but only until May 31? But don't keep any ofter that, or you would need a stamp.

I have no idea why they have to make this complicated.

link

And if I am reading number 6 correctly, I don't need a trout stamp to fish for steelhead in the Erie tribs. I just need the lake Erie stamp even if I am not fishing in the lake.

That is unless I am fishing in one of those streams that is also listed as approved trout waters AND it is between March 1 and May 31 OR I keep any.

OK, that is just from the Q&A. The tribs have their own set of rules that one should learn, ...or buy a combo stamp.

Back