Letort this weekend--what do I bring?

Wildfish

Wildfish

I'm visiting the soon-to-be parents-in-law this weekend and I want to get out of the house for a bit. It just so happens they live right by the Letort and Yellow Breeches. Anyone fishing there this time of year? What are the bugs? Best time of day?
Thanks!

Never fished it, but have fun... paint me jealous!

Trico and terrestrials. I think sulfurs may be done. Haven't fished it recently, so I'm just guessing from past notions. Good luck.

Trico's already? I might have to make a trip out there.

Don't do it on my suggestion, I am only guessing the best I could. They have been reported underway elsewhere.

I havent been to the Letort lately but there are still sulpurs hatchibg on the YB in the evenings. I have been doing well with sulphur nymphs during the days. We have been seeing just a few tricos but nothing enough to get many fish rising. Stop by the fly shop in Boiling Springs and they will point you in the right direction.
Bill A

I ran into a guy on Penns who claimed to have seen Tricos in the past week.

Didn't see a single trico in the 4 mornings I spent on Penns this past weekend.

I'll probably start carrying a few trico imitations, but I won't have high expectations of seeing a fishable hatch (spinner fall) for a few more weeks regardless of location.

Blue Quills and BWO on the other hand...

Kev

Patience! :p

I'd recommend sulpher dries in #18 and 16; scuds (gray/olive) in #16; various terrestrials, esp brown and green hoppers about an inch in length; your preferred streamer flies (streamers that ride hook up work best and won't get hung up as much in the weeds). Grass in the meadows now is very high - forget about wet wading on Letort - have bug repellant and don't forget your polarized glasses.
I'll second Pafisherman's suggestion to visit Yellow Breeches Outfitters.
Good luck.

I would go with what the area is famous for, terrestrials-ants, beetles at this point in the season. Have some shrimp and cress bugs. Streamer fished close the the undercuts is a good bet as well.

As for tricos, I did see them the other day south on one occassion, but none since then.

Best,
Mike Heck
Author of, "Spring Creek Streategies"

Dear wildfish,

With 1 to 2 inches of rain forecast for tomorrow I wouldn't forget sculpins and wooly buggers either.

Regards,

Tim Murphy ;-)

Wildfish, for the Letort bring a can of skunk remover :), I fished the Yellow Br. this past Sunday and did well with a pheasant tail and a BH prince in tandum, didn't see many risers and only a handfull of sulphurs. You can always fish the run if we get too much rain (it comes out of the lake at the parking lot). Just stop in a the fly shop for info....good luck.

Thanks guys. I'll start tying up terrestrials and work on my zen patients. I don't know why, but with spooky fish I'm always nervous to fish buggers. I know that sounds dumb, but I always feel like the initial splash of the bug and the stripping motion on the line is somehow too boisterous. Guess I'll just have to get over it.

I second fireandfeather on fishing the grass beds with streamers. I use tungsten cone head streamers tied with zonker strips in white and yellow. They have been the most effective flys for picking up very large fish. I recommend walking up stream and flipping the grass beds on the banks and keeping the fly moving using a short line. I'd fish the Letort over the stocked fish/ wild of the Breeches anyday...

Kev,

There was a small dun that I misidentified as a trico on penns last weekend. It was the right size, but I heard it called a "mahogany dun" somewhere.

Anyway, I caught one and it was definitely not a trico. A trico dun tied a shade darker would work though.

I actually wouldn't doubt there are tricos on now, but that's a possible explanation.

Due to the relatively constant temps on letort, I'd expect to see some sulphurs. Streams with low temp variance can have extended hatches, at least in my experience.

I hit a good fall of tricos & a so-so fall of tricos on different mornings on the J. There were also various micro mayflies throughout the day. Like Jay says, carry some small mayflies with ya, and you'll be covered.

To me fireandfeather hit the bullseye except for the streamers and buggers part.
Then I saw the forecast. Bullseye.

At the Letort expect to fish subsurface and anything you find rising on top is a bonus. You can prospect with dries and you may actually bring something to the top now and then but if you want the best chance to catch fish go subsurface and bring scuds – lots of scuds – in various shades of olive, gray, amber, orange and pink in sizes 10 – 19 (yes there are size 10 scuds and the trout know it). And also bring thinly dressed sulfur nymphs in various shades of amber/tan/olive in sizes 12 – 16. And as others have said, bring lots and lots of patience, especially at this time of the year. As the weather warms the stream’s channel narrows due to weed growth and the grass and other assorted vegetation on the bank grows high and can be quite bothersome. In fact, in certain sections (especially in the Bonney Brook area) your biggest challenge will simply be getting close enough to the stream’s edge to be able to get your fly in the water without first spooking everything. Sulfurs and assorted midges of frighteningly miniscule proportions may be hatching in certain sections but don’t expect intense blizzard like hatches like you would at a freestone. Your best success for finding anything on top will be to pick a section of water where you can watch – don’t fish just watch – and if you see something rise, figure out the best way to position yourself in casting position and make the first cast count.

More than anything the Letort will test your trout stalking skills because you have to get relatively close to the trout to be successful. You can’t aimlessly fish the water or you will spook everything within 100 yards of you so you have to stalk the trout. At the Letort you spook one fish and that fish takes off and spooks another, which spooks another and first thing you know your one misstep has spooked 100 yards of stream. And because of the channels and the tricky currents forget the long distance casting and concentrate on working sections of stream in small increments. If you attempt to drift a scud much more than 5 feet at a time more than likely you will be spending the majority of your time pulling your fly from the weeds.

If you fish streamers (another good choice), fish them slowly and methodically. The fish in the Letort are not going to chase a streamer ripped down, across and up. With streamers you are targeting specific areas where the trout may be holding and presenting it in such a manner that it can easily be intercepted. Suggested patterns are always a Shenk’s White Minnor and then thinly dressed ones like a black nose dace, mickey finn, black or gray ghost, etc., and then some bulkier ones like a muddler, woolly bugger, etc.

At the Letort you spook one fish and that fish takes off and spooks another, which spooks another and first thing you know your one misstep has spooked 100 yards of stream.

I doubt this happens at Letort or anywhere else. Otherwise, good advice.

Jack, Have done it myself a few times, especially in long, open sections of the Letort. You will spook one fish that will take off downstream spooking several others that will come flying back upstream, spooking more and next thing you know there are 30 trout in a panic swimming all over. Maybe 100 yards is a bit much but a good 25-30 yards in either direction of where yo uare standing certainly isn't out of the question.

Back