Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 ... 36 »

Let's Start Steelhead Fever

Ok, so we are a couple days into September. This is where I start getting the itch. I realize we are a few weeks or probably over a month away from a good run, but let's start talking Steelies!

Feel free to start posting early reports. There are most likely a few moving in around the mouths early in the morning, but rain is much needed as always to get them in. The long range report doesn't really indicate much in the way of rain up there.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 12:33

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

From Central, PA

Never fished for them always wanted too

Posted on: 2012/9/4 12:34

From Warriors Mark, PA
I've been ready for steelhead for a long time, already have a ton of flies tied up, last few years, chartreuse sucker spawn, blue glo bugs, black and green wooly buggers, have been absolutely dynamite for me, now I wouldn't be caught dead without at least 10 of each tied up. As of now, planning my first trip to Erie on October 6-8 (have that monday off), may change that if conditions warrant, need to do something to pass the time

The bad news is that one of my "local" friends in the erie area has been checking 16 and 20 mile, as well as Elk and Walnut, and he claims that this is the lowest he's ever seen the streams at this time of year. The good news is that, reports are being circulated of steelhead coming up into the mouths in the mornings. The better news is that the remnants of Isaac, and some smaller fronts, are coming through this week, bringing UP TO an inch of rain total. Everytime I see it rain now, I always say to myself "boy, I sure hope they're getting some of this up in Erie." I would expect that, in a matter of days, the "first few" should make their ways into the streams, and around Mid September, we will start hearing some reports of fish being caught.

For those of you who are new to steelhead fishing, read my guide to steelhead ettiquette:
Unwritten Code of Steelhead

Oh, and a few things. If you see someone snagging fish on purpose, or keeping snagged fish, please alert the PFBC (phone numbers are on the website). If you are planning on snagging, DON'T, no matter how careful you are, you are being watched, and oftentimes, officers are plain clothed and fishing, so you may have one standing right next to you and not even know it. And, please don't whine and criticize people who keep a few fish. I mean, people who carry limits out of the creeks every day are one thing, but I usually keep one or two EACH YEAR (on 5-10 trips up) for the smoker, or for my disabled grandfather. I put a picture of one I kept up on another forum, and immediately got flamed. However, I belong to both TU, and a bass club, and spend countless hours each year volunteering to ensure healthy fish and forage populations with clean water to live in. When I asked the flamers what they've done lately to help the fish population, I get no response, meaning they are likely hanging their heads in shame.

With all that said, everyone start praying for cooler temperatures, and start doing a good rain dance, and this show will be on the road before you know it

Posted on: 2012/9/4 13:25

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I've been in full blown salmon fever for several weeks now due to my tying spree. The steelhead fever for me never ends. My temperature just gets higher at the appropriate time of year. I hate to admit it, but I don't think I'll be up much this year. 2 little kiddos have stunted my fishing in general, but I'll still be up a handful of times this season.

The cooler weather will come, it's the rain we have to worry about. I'm actually not TOO worried about it. There's a small water table up in Erie, and 1 or 2 good rains will put us in prime position for the run. The streams rise quickly and fall quickly due to the small table. Someone posted a picture of it a year or 2 ago and really opens your eyes as to where all the water comes from that runs to the lake. It's not very much, so it won't take much rain to get us square on good water levels.

I have yet to catch a brown up there. Was my goal last year and didn't achieve it. Hooked one 3-4 pounder and saw 1 or 2 others. I'm hoping the stockings work out and we get a good handful in, but it hasn't been too promising so far. They were hoping for a 1-10 ratio of browns and steel.

Cold water temps, and good reports from the walleye guys are when it really starts going, and the charter boats have been catching steel pretty consistently with the walleye lately. I give it 2 more weeks and we'll see some small pods come in and out, and the first week of October we'll see the first big run.

I need to find a job that I only have to work about 9 months out of the year. October-December are too important to be working.

Posted on: 2012/9/4 15:04

From Warriors Mark, PA
This is the only brown I ever caught outta erie, Elk Creek last year on a PA Infamous pink worm.

I know there are some guys up there who specifically target the browns, not sure how they weed them out though.

Attach file:

jpg  eriebrown.jpg (146.86 KB)
4964_50469ce71f476.jpg 880X1184 px

Posted on: 2012/9/4 20:29

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
I've been tying some larger pink worms lately by twisting the chenille on either end. I'll be trying them on both salmon and steel. Had good luck with the IPW's last year on steel.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 11:27

From Erie Co.
Word on the lake is it should be a good year need rain and cooler temps. They are showing up early AM and out by sunrise.

Posted on: 2012/9/5 21:56

From Warriors Mark, PA
According to the Fish USA forums, they are catching and seeing a few staging in the lower pools of Walnut, and they got a good bit of rain over the past few days.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 8:24

From Warriors Mark, PA
Ohh and A TON of rain forecast for this weekend, up to 1.5 inches total

Posted on: 2012/9/6 9:49

Quote:

fishingood wrote:
Ohh and A TON of rain forecast for this weekend, up to 1.5 inches total

Sweeeeeeeeeeet!!!

Bring on the steel!

BTW, I see you are from Berwick. I work in Danville and live in Lewisburg :).

Posted on: 2012/9/6 13:24

From Southwest, Pa
Ahhhh, good ol' steelhead fever. Nothing quite like manically watching weather reports and stream gauges at all hours of the day and night. Gotta love praying for rain, but of course not too much, or too heavy, or...Oh, and obviously the rain has to fall within the 16-24 hour window before my planned trip. And the crowds, who doesn't love a good crowd?

Moral of story: I think I need to live closer to Erie to truly enjoy steelhead fishing.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 15:29

Quote:

5RingsBL wrote:
Moral of story: I think I need to live closer to Erie to truly enjoy steelhead fishing.

True that. I never got it right last year. I had 4 times fishing between 38cfs-68cfs and then one time fishing 500cfs(all on walnut gauge)

I need to try the ohio rivers this season. I sort of thought about it last year, but never did. My drive to them is 2.25-2.5 hours, so its about the same as going to erie tribs.

Posted on: 2012/9/6 15:45

From Ohio
Not in PA, but a few fish are being caught....

http://blogs.clemetparks.com/rocky-river-fishing-report/

Posted on: 2012/9/6 19:59

From Warriors Mark, PA

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:15

One good rain all thats needed. Seems for some reason people don't like the big rains? Im not sure why though the bigger the rain the more fish run upstream. People were so upset last year because they thought there was no fish just because the lower stretches were sparse. There was fish spread out from top to bottom and it spread the people out also. People gotta stop just fishing the pools with eight hundred fish in them. Steelhead hold in the faster stuff and there easier to catch. Last year was the best year for erie steel from PA to NY.

Posted on: 2012/9/7 14:47

(1) 2 3 4 ... 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com