HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 36 »

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)
It's dirty, but by no means blown out.

http://www.unclejohnselkcreekcamp.com/webcam/

When all you see is water in all 4 pictures, then it's time to head up in 2 days.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 10:13

From Warriors Mark, PA
This was on Saturday lol

Posted on: 2012/9/10 12:52

I watched the web cam all weekend and it never reached the proper water levels. Look at the stream gauges, they're not at the "blown out" levels. This is not THE RUN, but it'll be here before we know it.

I don't doubt there's some fish in the creeks now, but not too many to start booking a room or traveling from any distance to fish.

:edit

Blown out typically is the walnut gauge at about 300. The elk gauge is actually in a trib of Elk and not a good indicator of stream flow IMO.

Also look at the web cam for Uncle Johns. No one is fishing. Yeah it's Monday, but where there's fish, there's fishermen. That spot's only about a mile up from the mouth of Elk.

Posted on: 2012/9/10 13:36

From Southwest, Pa
ryguy,

How much for a guided day on the tribs w. you? You seem knowledgeable. You skate mice on Elk?

Posted on: 2012/9/10 20:00

-Art Lee

From Howard Falls
Talked to a couple of my sibs back home yesterday (Girard, Harborcreek) & they've been seeing some fish spooling up here and there. The tribs are tearfully low. Brother-in-law has gone out searching/throwing shiners/buggers where the lake slopes away from the trib mouths. i'd be wading out WELL off either side of a couple trib mouths this time of year...

Posted on: 2012/9/10 20:50

Edited by mcfinn on 2012/9/10 21:31:03

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:

Also look at the web cam for Uncle Johns. No one is fishing. Yeah it's Monday, but where there's fish, there's fishermen. That spot's only about a mile up from the mouth of Elk.

It's a long response, but not all is fishing related.

Webcam didn't work for me, but I was there yesterday.

I decided to take the day off and took the wife for a ride. no idea where we were headed when we left the house, but since wife likes the lake, the trip turned into a scouting trip. I checked out 4 different creeks. Crooked, Elk, Trout Run, and Walnut.

Crooked still looked like Yoohoo, but the water was not high. Don't know why anyone would even want to fish that crick, but I was in the area and figured I'd check it out. Small stream that gets muddy and stays muddy with just a heavy dew. OK, I'm exaggerating, but you get the point. I do not consider this to be a spot burn since the knowledge of this creek is readily available from a couple different sites.

After that, we continued East. After a very pleasant walk with my wife back to the bluffs and back, we drove down to the mouth of Elk Creek. The walk was so pleasant that I only thought about pushing her over the edge once or twice.

I believe I saw the wake from just one steelhead at Elk, a little ways up from the boat ramp. But I didn't see the fish. At first I thought it was from wind, but it made a full circle. I suppose it still could have been caused by wind. There were 2 or 3 anglers fishing below the boa ramp in the usual spots, and supposedly one fish had been landed. Water was still off color. I'm sure there were a few fish in there, but you couldn't see them. A couple fly anglers could be seen further upstream. Water was high enough for fish to move up, and likely a few did. I've caught steelhead in Elk Creek as early as late August before. If you are just out to get out and away from crowds, ... But if you want to get into some fish, you might have your work cut out for you.

Next was Trout Run, just to see if any were in the creek yet. I thnk that was the first time I ever visited there. Water was back down and clearing. Couldn't see any fish. Possibly one, but I think it was a shadow from a rock. Other than that, if there were any they were in the shadow by the wall. Quite sunny out yesterday. No anglers on the beach. Just a couple other people scouting from their cars, and one wimpy looking guy catching a few rays right at the mouth of the creek.

From there, I drove to Walnut. Couldn't help but go by Manchaser because route 5 was closed at the top of the hill (construction).

No fish in the project holes on Walnut. Water was back down and clear enough to see if there was actually something to see. There were a few people fishing off the wall down by the marine. We walked around a litlle bit there as well. Is it just me or is the singange all messed up in that parking lot. Everywhere I went seemed to be "wrong way." Trying to confuse the mupears and ohesians I guess.

I NEVER fish the project waters or Manchaser hole (intentional misspelling). Too crowded for me and I just don't feel the love that some of you guys obviously feel. This was simply a scouting trip.

Final stop was the mall. Wife bought some clothes while I sat and read Car and Driver. the 2013 Vette is gonna be cool. Wife got a few decent discounts at Coldwater Creek. $20 bucks off just for trying on a pair of pants, and she didn't even have to buy those pants. Something about changing their style and wanting to get women to try them. Hell for $20 maybe I shuld have tried on a pair. LOL! Wife liked the new cut. More appealing to conservative middle aged women. You know, the ones that don't think it is cool to show their but crack and the ones that actually have money. Bout time a store started making clothes for that Demographic. Another $30 off on their catalog for purchases over $100. Well, it was obviously over a hundred, but think of the money I saved.

We then ate at the Firebird Grill. It was quite good. I talked the wife into getting the surf and turf which was $38 bucks by itself. She loves lobster. 8oz tail and 7oz filet grilled perfectly. I had the ribeye which was also grilled perfectly. the loaded baked potato was awesome. We also shared an appetizer. With drinks and almost 20% tip, I got out of there for just under a C. Very good service, but I couldn't see going over $16 for a tip.

All in all, a very pleasant day spent with the old girl, and I can I confirm that there was not a significant run of steelhead east of Erie. But I hear there was a decent run on Valley Creek over by Philly.

Note: We had eaten lunch at the State Street diner in Connecticut Ohio. First time I was ever in there. Quite awesome hamburger. I highly recommend for those finding themselves in Conneaut Ohio. Nice little place. Low ceilings. It makes even short people feel tall.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 8:30

Quote:

FarmerDave wrote:
Quote:

ryguyfi wrote:

It's a long response, but not all is fishing related.

Webcam didn't work for me, but I was there yesterday.

I decided to take the day off and took the wife for a ride. no idea where we were headed when we left the house, but since wife likes the lake, the trip turned into a scouting trip. I checked out 4 different creeks. Crooked, Elk, Trout Run, and Walnut.

Farmer Dave,

You are the man! Very, very nice report and very straight forward. This is what I expected, but I really appreciate you taking the time to put that together!

BJ

Posted on: 2012/9/11 9:56

From Other side of the tracks
LOL! next time show me how much you appreciated it by paying the dinner bill.

Joking of course.

You are welcome.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 11:41

Quote:

stevehalupka wrote:
ryguy,

How much for a guided day on the tribs w. you? You seem knowledgeable. You skate mice on Elk?

Just come to the Steelhead JAM it's free. I'm all talk though...

I haven't skated flies yet, but it's on my to do list. It'll take certain conditions for skating to work. I hit what I would consider good conditions for that 2 years ago at the JAM. Water fell about 18" overnight and was swinging nymphs and getting a ton of action.

Posted on: 2012/9/11 12:07

From Warriors Mark, PA
Any news from the East Side tribs (16 or 20 mile?)

Posted on: 2012/9/12 8:48

From Erie Co.
Low water

Posted on: 2012/9/12 19:07

From WNY
Quote:

fishingood wrote:
Any news from the East Side tribs (16 or 20 mile?)

It was ok for two days. Then the fish turned northward.

Posted on: 2012/9/13 12:13

From Warriors Mark, PA
Well, I hooked a bunch, caught 5, started out swinging wooly buggers, and then switched to an orange sucker spawn and caught the rest, was into something big, and then I woke up, and it was time to go to work :(

It sounds like things are off to a slow start, but it's not time to panic yet. I've seen years when I don't start hearing good reports till late September, and I go up in October and clean up, also I've seen years where I hear of fish in the creeks in early September, and I don't do that well. Sounds like the last rain didn't do as much as we thought it would, but in the next week or so, the night time temperatures will drop into the 40s, and most days the daytime temperatures won't exceed 70. Also, rain is forecasted, multiple times. The good news is that fish are being caugt at the mouths of the creeks, and the boats have been reporting a good year, so once the fish can get up into the creeks, it should be a really good year. Can't wait!

Posted on: 2012/9/14 8:57

From WNY
fishingood,
Just an observation,,,,,fish numbers cruising near the mouths are low when compared to the last few years. Timing seem to be behind by about 10 days compared to the last year.
A lot of jacks close to shore this year.

Posted on: 2012/9/14 11:00

Hey guys, new to the forum so feel free to move my post to a more suitable location if this thread doesn't suit...
just moved to the east coast from San Diego and looking to get in the steelhead game this year... my question is, has anyone ever camped in the east otto state forest when visiting the catt? It seems fairly accessible and pretty close to river access... I see they have some primitive sites and from what i understand from the DEC website you can camp throughout most of the forest as long as you're a bit away from roads/water. I live in philly so would probably try to take a few days at a time to go up there. It'd be nice to do it on the cheap as much as possible, and for me, remote camping and fishing are where it's at... anyone have any experience?
Thanks

Posted on: 2012/9/14 13:59

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com