Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 36 »

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

Quote:

dano wrote:
I heard at a meeting in Erie last week that the PFBC is looking into placing smolts further upstream on some of the creeks.

PA does support our western NY fisheries with early running fish. Thank You.
NY's strain is from the Salmon River and is more of a winter run fish. These NY fish help support Erie's winter fishing.
NY's wild fish tend to return to the same watershed that they were spawned.

This makes total sense. Also, we do appreciate the winter fish that come from NY!

Accuweather is saying .61" of rain now.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:15

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

dano wrote:
I heard at a meeting in Erie last week that the PFBC is looking into placing smolts further upstream on some of the creeks.

First thought is that this would help, but I'm wondering if the true result will just be more smolt hooked and killed.

Years ago I was fishing Grand River probably about 15 miles upstream from the lake and the smolt were hitting anything and everything and I think they stock the smolt larger over here (at least back then). They were all around 9" or 10". A lot of those smolt never made it to the lake.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:32

Elk was muddy w. no visablity early Mon (9/24) am. Seemed to be a little action down towards Cascade hole & behind Uncle Johns. Probably clearing up nicely yesterday afternoon-this morning.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:52

From WNY
I'm not sure this plan will work either.
The main concern from the PFBC on changing the stocking locations had more to do with walleye predation. THe reasoning was that if the fingerlings stayed in the creek longer, they would grow to a larger size before entering the lake, giving them a better chance of survival (becoming a meal).
The PFBC seem to believe that the increased walleye population is the main cause of lower return rates of the steelhead.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 9:03

From NE OH
They were all low and clear today in PA. A nice push of fish in lower 20. A scattered few in the middle 20. Hopefully the projected 0.61" happens tonight and tomorrow. There are a bunch of fish waiting to push on up. The conditions were very poor today. I was off the creek by 9:00am...'bout the time the rest of PA showed up

There are good flows on the Chagrin in OH as well. I fished it this afternoon with a couple other guys. We swung up 2 and heard reports of a few others being caught.

Be patient...it's coming

Attached is a little 32" buck I landed early this morning to get you salivating some more.

Attach file:

jpg  IMG_3784.jpg (69.55 KB)
3679_50621f5e785b1.jpg 400X300 px

Posted on: 2012/9/25 17:17

From pittsburgh
nice healthy looking fish there patrick

Posted on: 2012/9/25 20:19

-me

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Stocked and photo shopped

Posted on: 2012/9/25 21:03

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Clearfield
Any recent reports on the Catt....looking to fish Saturday and the weather isn't looking that promising for PA tribs......figured the Catt might be my best bet

Posted on: 2012/9/25 22:28

From Southwestern NY
As for the cat they are in there, though from what I've heard the water is dropping fast. And by in there, ill say a guy I know was on the non reservation end and pulled 5 on Sunday. My question is where's the damn rain?!?!?!

Edit: after looking at the radar, would someone please put some fans in the south to push those storms north? That's a pretty intense storm system in the middle of the country!

Posted on: 2012/9/25 23:30

From Erie Co.
Water table is still very low providing low flows.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 23:39

From Butler, Pa
Heading up thursday, unfortunately i just checked the forecast and not a drop of rain expected to fall in the 10 day forecast, but its still 10 days, jet stream can def shift and send some rain our way

Posted on: 2012/9/26 1:51

From harlansburg
Quote:

PatrickC wrote:
They were all low and clear today in PA. A nice push of fish in lower 20. A scattered few in the middle 20. Hopefully the projected 0.61" happens tonight and tomorrow. There are a bunch of fish waiting to push on up. The conditions were very poor today. I was off the creek by 9:00am...'bout the time the rest of PA showed up

There are good flows on the Chagrin in OH as well. I fished it this afternoon with a couple other guys. We swung up 2 and heard reports of a few others being caught.

Be patient...it's coming

Attached is a little 32" buck I landed early this morning to get you salivating some more.

nice fish! and it's not all decorated for christmas yet!

Posted on: 2012/9/26 6:59

From NE OH
Quote:

StarvinMarvin wrote:
Heading up thursday, unfortunately i just checked the forecast and not a drop of rain expected to fall in the 10 day forecast, but its still 10 days, jet stream can def shift and send some rain our way

Looks like it will he low and clear for you. Your BEST opportunities will be the 2 hours right at daylight and again befor dusk. Although there are quite a few fish in the lower systems, they have already been pounded on. Make your offerings as small and natural as you can and if you are comfortable with it, move to 3x &4x fluorocarbon tippet. And most important....the water is warm and the fish are hot, BACK OFF THE DRAG . Let them run. You may sacrifice a couple to logs or boulders, but you will break off fo shizzle if you try to strong arm them at this point.

Have fun and let us know how it goes!

Posted on: 2012/9/26 7:53

From Warriors Mark, PA
The Erie tributaries have a natural tendancy to be low and clear. Its better to perfect your low and clear fishing techniques, rather than trying to time it just right with weather and fishing patterns.

Quote:
Make your offerings as small and natural as you can and if you are comfortable with it, move to 3x &4x fluorocarbon tippet. And most important....the water is warm and the fish are hot, BACK OFF THE DRAG . Let them run. You may sacrifice a couple to logs or boulders, but you will break off fo shizzle if you try to strong arm them at this point.

Listen to this! In very clear conditions, you may need to go to 5x tippet. Small flies, such as single eggs, sucker spawns, and nymphs, are in order, with little to no weight, and as natural of a drift as possible.

Another productive method in these conditions can be swinging naturally colored streamers, perhaps black, white, or olive wooly buggers ( fluff the hackle as much as possible to make it pertrude from the body, and select a bushy section of marabou), or some minnow patterns. For steelhead, I use an interesting technique. If you are working a pod, select a specific fish to target before each cast. Rather than casting straight upstream, cast about 5-6 feet upstream of the fish, and 2-3 feet out past it. Then, give your rod a slight pull back and slowly sweep your rod from left to right, if you do it right, your streamer should make a U shaped turn, and end up a foot or two in front of the fish (careful not to snag now). I think it represents a fleeing bait fish or crawfish turning upstream, and stopping, thinking it's in the clear, not realizing Miss Steelhead is right behind it.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 10:24

From WNY
From what I've heard, Elk Access is about the only game in town right now. There's a mix of stale and fresh aggressive fish moving up and down through the day.
Catt was good for me this morning with a white over purple zonker. Fishing shut down around 10Am. Not one bite from 10 till 2. I heard yesterday was the day to be there as fish were on the move. There is fish up to at least Versalles, but not in great numbers.

Posted on: 2012/9/26 20:13

« 1 ... 6 7 8 (9) 10 11 12 ... 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com