Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 36 »

Re: Let's Start Steelhead Fever

Quote:

StarvinMarvin wrote:
that would be corret. . . def some fish in there, too hard to make a judgement today as to whats in there, water was too stained

Awesome! The lake temp hit 66 now, so it is getting to be time for sure. Just need another good storm or two to move them up and disperse them. Looks like another half inch is on it's way up there tonight.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 12:36

From NW Penna
Quote:

flipnfly wrote:
i was told the log jam hole was loaded with fish.... actively feeding fish just last week

Yep my bad, I had meant there weren't many fish above the logjam hole.
Fished were stacked in there pretty good. With more down past the access.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 14:12

From NE OH
Quote:

bjkaledas wrote:
Awesome! The lake temp hit 66 now, so it is getting to be time for sure. Just need another good storm or two to move them up and disperse them. Looks like another half inch is on it's way up there tonight.

Where did you see that? I just checked NOAA and they are predicting no rain for the Erie area tonight. I hope you're right.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 14:56

From Patterson twp, Pa (Beaver Falls)

Posted on: 2012/9/24 16:28

From Ohio
You know everyones getting the itch when this pops up on the Uncle John's site...

Quote:
The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 16:39

From WNY
Quote:

dano wrote:
The streams weren't high at all this morning on the east side of Erie,,, just a bit muddy. Not a huge amount of fish, but enough to keep it interesting. Fished till 11:00 and got 5 chromers. Saw another dozen or so get caught.

To update my Eastside report. 20-Mile had more fishermen that fish in the area below rt 5. on Monday.
Headed up and fished near I-90 down to the wire. I spotted maybe 30-40 fish. Most of those were confined to 3 large pools.
Chautauqua had better water and less fishermen. I only managed one there in a place that I thought would really produce.
All in all the Eastside remains slow and I'm kicking myself for not going to Elk.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 18:12

From Warriors Mark, PA
Looks like a little more rain is coming the next day or two.. Less than 2 weeks till my first trip, stoked...

Do yourselves a favor btw, don't listen to most of what is posted on FishErie, but rather rely on the reports from here, local bait shops, and the PFBC.. On FishErie, it's alot of greedy locals who think that if they can't see the fish they must not be there, as well as a bunch of gibberish screwing around. I mean, I'm the guy who loves to mess with people, but you just get annoyed when you're looking for a serious report, and you see 10 pages of people joking around about snagging.. Heck, last year I had a guy tell me not to make the drive, saying there were "absolutely no fish" and "the season was pretty much done." Well, I made the drive (it's always gorgeous up that way in the fall) and sure enough, I had a blast, in addition to working the popular loaded holes, even found my own pod of about 10 fish, and caught and released several of them, probably hooked every one in there.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 18:19

From Warriors Mark, PA
Quote:
To update my Eastside report. 20-Mile had more fishermen that fish in the area below rt 5. on Monday.

Thanks for the report, it's a good start!!

Posted on: 2012/9/24 18:21

Quote:

dano wrote:
Quote:

dano wrote:
The streams weren't high at all this morning on the east side of Erie,,, just a bit muddy. Not a huge amount of fish, but enough to keep it interesting. Fished till 11:00 and got 5 chromers. Saw another dozen or so get caught.

Headed up and fished near I-90 down to the wire. I spotted maybe 30-40 fish. Most of those were confined to 3 large pools.
Chautauqua had better water and less fishermen. I only managed one there in a place that I thought would really produce.
All in all the Eastside remains slow and I'm kicking myself for not going to Elk.

Ryguy was right. I found the report on accuweather. Still says some rain tonight.

Thanks for the report dano. I have never fished Chautauqua. I have heard of the Catt and thought about trying it out sometime, but the theft problems they have there keeps me away.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 18:53

I was also reading today that the Fish and Boat Commission has acknowledged that we lose a lot of our stocked Steelhead to western NY tribs, but they have taken measures to remedy or help this situation? Does anybody know more about this?

Posted on: 2012/9/24 19:08

From Along the Lehigh Above the Gap
Shock collars

Posted on: 2012/9/24 20:58

http://bugflingerandfeatherlasher.blogspot.com/

From Erie Co.
true, received the info about a year ago. The thinking is fish are stocked too close to the lake and the fish do not imprint.

Posted on: 2012/9/24 21:43

From Other side of the tracks
PA loses a lot of their stocked fish to Ohio, too.

The problem is that the chemistry of these streams that enter the lake from the south are all quite similar. That and steelhead tend to be roamers. Nothing they can do about that. It aint like there is a shortage even in bad years.

I read a stat once that PA puts more steelhead in a single stream (and we can all guess which one that is) than Ohio puts in all of theirs combined. Don't know if that is still true, but I believe it was at one time. Ohio did increase their numbers awhile back, but some of that was PA taking over more responsibility for sticking Conneaut Creek.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 6:56

From Southwestern NY
Yeah you pa guys are saying you lose fish to ny or oh but who gets them first? Elk I believe was the first this year... And another guy I was talking to Saturday was saying he was heading back to pa...

This guy was serious on Steelehead, from Ohio, drove up to the cattaraugust creek, I bumped into him on the Chautauqua. And he was headed to elk... That guys was covering tribs!

Though I was told of 5 that were caught by a friend on the Catt on Monday, and I over slept this morn but, my other buddy just said he pulled three in the Chautauqua just now...

Posted on: 2012/9/25 7:45

From WNY
I heard at a meeting in Erie last week that the PFBC is looking into placing smolts further upstream on some of the creeks.

PA does support our western NY fisheries with early running fish. Thank You.
NY's strain is from the Salmon River and is more of a winter run fish. These NY fish help support Erie's winter fishing.
NY's wild fish tend to return to the same watershed that they were spawned.

Posted on: 2012/9/25 8:08

« 1 ... 5 6 7 (8) 9 10 11 ... 36 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com