Lehigh River Settlement

Alpabuck

Alpabuck

Not sure if this should be posted here or in the conservation forum? If the mod's feel it needs to be moved that fine! Here a link about a settlement deal involving the Lehigh River and the Aquashicola.

http://www.lrsa.org/palmerton_settle.pdf

What kind of impact do you think this settlement will have and what kind of things can we accept to see?

I would love to see work done on the Aquashicola and would help in anyway I could. Even with all the past pollution this is still a great stream and very under rated in my eyes. I have caught lots wild browns there and even some over 15in.

It would be nice to see some work done on the Aquashicola, it could use it. Raparian buffer restoration and maybe some habitat work too for this stream. Lizard and Mahoning creeks could use some too.

As for the Lehigh, I think a lot of that money will be put towards the shad restoration effort (i.e. Dam removal or ladder install/repairs) and river access. Have to wait and see what the restoration plan discusses, but that is my best guess so far.

The Aquashicola is on private land isn't it?

As long as there are large dams further down on the Lehigh, I don't think shad restoration will ever get far. Fish ladders don't work well.

I think available money should be used for cleaning up AMD on tribs to the Lehigh. And for buying riparian lands for access and conservation.

Most of Aquashicola is on private land, but there are some sections open that are worth fishing with some extremely nice brooks and browns...

Back