Leader and tippet

G

goodeyesniper

Need some new leader's and tippet. What are your favorites?

I like using 7' 5x or 9' 5x Rio trout leaders. I just use the heavy tapered section of those and make my own leader form there.

My favorite tippet would be varivas tippet.

Any decent tapered leader 7.5' 3x and rio powerflex of floroflex is awesome.

UNI thread furled, with fluorocarbon tippet.

I'm with Crotalus on this one!!

Depends on the application.

For Freestone streams with no pressure you can use 3x in a variety of brand names. Ive used walmart leaders/tippet (dont remember the brand) and they work fine. Generally you will want tapered if you like dries. I usually use 3x or 4x. I also like the Orvis Super Strong or Rio.

For heavily pressured freestones and limestoners I use Orvis Mirage. 5x - 6x tapered. Tippet is the same.

When the taped leaders start getting short I attach a long piece of straight 6lb mono. Here I have my winter time nymphing/streamer leader for trout. I also use this for warm water species leader. It just sinks and gets deep faster. Brand of mono Ive used is generic. I think its eagle claw, its really strong. I don't use this on limestone springs in the winter though.

Cant' help you with the leaders as I tie all my own to fit any given conditions. As far as tippet material goes I use Rio( fluoroflex and powerflex ). Fluoro for subsurface and mono for surface.

Always used Rio powerflex pretty exclusively as the end tippet, though sometimes when I'm not worried about drag that much there's some Orvis Superstrong one level up.

This year I'm trying Rio Suppleflex. Impressed so far...

Rio Fluorflex Plus in 4X, 5X, and 6X will cover just about any Trout fishing situation. Small Brookie streams I use 3X or 4X, because they usually aren't line shy and my flies usually end up on a tree branch at one point or another. Having heavier tippet makes it a lot easier to get the flies back. I tried Dai-Riki Fluorocarbon over the weekend and after using it 2 times I gave it to some guy in the parking lot at Baree.

Pcray- I tried the Suppleflex when it first came out in 6X and had issues with the line breaking rather easily. What size did you get and have you noticed any issues with it? I like Fluoro for just about everything, but I would like to find a softer Mono for fishing Midges and other flies smaller than size 20 on top.

Mr. Eye,

You are new, and thus would be well served with simplicity. Obtain a furled leader, from the Internet, a local shop, or a friend. I would suggest a proper one, but if you're truly unable, I will make and send you one.

You will then put the rest of your stuff away, and simply step down with some tippet to the size you need. Fish it through the season, and don't worry about anything else other than putting the fly on target.

Next year, you'll cut it off, throw it away and lose yourself in leaders, but this year, KISS.

oh, and for tippet brand: i prefer the scientific anglers stuff, but happily buy and use the cortland fairplay from sprawlmart. its half price, 1/4 price if the checkout clerk doesn't pull spools apart, and good enough for me.

I have been using FeatherCraft furled leader w/ Orvis Super Strong tippet for many years. Leaders are a little pricy but I have had the same one on my 4wt, most fished rod for 5 years and Orvis tippet works great and is less expensive than other name brands as you get 30 meters(100 meters in guide spools) for the same price in yards from other companies.

Tuna,

I bought 3x, 4x, 5x, and 6x, though I haven't used 6x so far, but no, no breaking problems yet. In my home test, it is a little more supple than the powerflex for the same rated diameter, which I've found to be more supple than any other brand I've tried, so thumbs up on that. Probably won't try the 6x until trico time, so we'll see if it holds up there.

As far as fluoro, I've found nothing that even approaches the suppleness of the better copolymers. I do use Seaguar Grand Max for my steelhead fishing, it's tough as nails and those teeth don't cut it, but thats about my only use for the stuff. It'd probably be good for streamers, too, I guess.

Back