Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Large (Dead) Brookies

From Johnstown, PA
To say that wild brookies in Pa over 13 " are super rare is something i don't agree with. While they are not a regular thing i don't think the term "rare" or "super rare" fits. I've caught a few over 13" and one , in a whole life of fishing , 16" , after i released that one i stuck around for an hour watching just to make sure it survived. I'm trying to think of a word other than "rare" , because i don't think they are and i think "few and far between" is closer to reality than rare. In most cases my biggest wild brookies were caught in the fall and i think were females , cause these streams are loaded with males between 5" and 8"-10". I've caught some stocked brookies from Clarks that were 16" + but they were stocked and had that look of the large body with a small head (Pellet fed) . The wild/native brookies have that lean look to 'em , not so far as to say skinny but the word i would use is lean.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:15

From Ephrata, PA
I'm not sure my experience lines up w/ the statement about large brookies taking dries. I've not broke through that 10" range until last night, but I have hit the 9-10" mark many times and I'd say half of them were on dries. It could be the water that I catch the larger brookies in though. It's a bigger free stoner w/ a limestone influence at its headwaters. It doesn't really resemble your typical brookie stream.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:20

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Of that fish I showed, here's a "fumble" pic taken shortly before the above pic. Giving it as the background shows the stream and the hole. Note undercut bank.

The 2nd pic is a different fish caught the same day, same stream that was over 10". I caught this one. Terrible pic of the fish, though.

Resized Image

Resized Image

Posted on: 2013/5/1 8:21

From New Castle, PA
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
PennKev,

I disagree with the pectoral fin, it looks pretty clean on close inspection. The camera doesn't do it justice, but what you are seeing I think are color variations and reflection rather than a ragged edge. With the picture, the best fin shot is of the anal fin, which is clean. Also, sharp distinction between black and white on the fins, which is often a good indicator of wild.

I disagree. I clicked on the image to get a larger view and I still see a short, stubby, worn fin with a kink in the leading edge. That's been enough in other threads to deem fish stocked.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 15:09

Yep. Lots of stocked brookies in this thread. Look at the fins. Then look at some photos of brookies that are definitely wild, and look at their fins, and compare.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 15:24

From Lancaster County
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Yep. Lots of stocked brookies in this thread. Look at the fins. Then look at some photos of brookies that are definitely wild, and look at their fins, and compare.

I'm curious which you think were stocked. There are not a lot of photos in this thread..

Posted on: 2013/5/1 18:31

Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
[quote]
troutbert wrote:

I'm curious which you think were stocked. There are not a lot of photos in this thread..[/quote

Salmonid #4
Wildtrout2
Pcray
sarce

These are the ones I'm pretty sure about.

Look at the pectoral fins of those fish. Then look at photos of brookies you know for sure are wild brookies, and look at THEIR pectoral fins, and compare.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 18:44

From Mont Co, Pa
I know for a fact that 12 1/2" brookie I posted a pic of is a native. As I mentioned, it was caught on a WBTEP stream (unstocked). Both kbob and Pat know this stream.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:20

From Northern VA
mine is 100% wild...caught it first in november last year and it had clearly just spawned, then caught it again in mid march. It only survived the winter because it got washed out of a tributary and into a rich limestone environment. Only brookie I've ever caught in the stream, but have caught dozens up to 11.5" from the tributary I believe it came from, which is an unstocked freestone trib to an unstocked limestone trib to an unstocked Class A limestone stream.

WT2's is very obviously a native imo, Pat's I would have said stocked if anyone other than him claimed it was a native.

Just because it's a big trout doesn't make it stocked, my granddad does the same thing- I'll show him pictures of nice wild browns and he'll say "why did someone put that in such a small stream?"

Posted on: 2013/5/1 19:25

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I'm 95% sure the one I posted was wild. Looking at the fish in a vacuum, I'd give it maybe 50-50, one of those ones your not really sure of, and could go either way on. The fins looked good to me in person. Color is good. Sharp distinction between black and white on fins. The most suspect aspect to me is the shape, it's got that football type shape of a fish that grew fast. And on close examination of the pic, a single pec fin looks a little funny, but all others perfect.

There's no dams or anything (a few beaver dams on branches, but the there's a stem clear the whole way). But it's 7+ stream miles from the nearest place they stock brookies. 2 1/2 of those miles would be UP small streams, all of which are completely unstocked of any species. And there are no roads nearby for people to stock em, it's a 2 mile hike as the crow flies from the nearest drivable road. Not that this is an impossible distance or anything for a fish to swim. It's possible, and I don't deny that.

I've fished it a lot and never caught a stocked one, nor known anyone who did. And brookies run big in this stream to begin with. And on MOST days you can expect to catch one or two in the 10-11 inch range that there's no doubt about, mixed in with plenty of respectable 8 inchers. PFBC electrofishing studies have turned up 12 inch wild brookies (nothing over 13 that I know of, though), so you know they're there. Being that the fish looked good enough to pass as wild, it's just the simplest explanation.

In a different situation, yeah, I'd have a whole lot more questions about it.

Posted on: 2013/5/1 21:46

From Bucks County
Since were on the subject of large brook trout, I thought everyone might find this pic interesting. I found it on the blog "Extreme Philly Fishing" Yes, that is the fairmount dam on the schuylkill. Wether its a stocker (likely?) or a wild fish, I can say that its large and a very unusual place to catch one.
Untitled

Posted on: 2013/5/1 22:30

From Harrisburg
That pictures a tiger.

I just have a hard time believing some of these wild.
All truly native brookies I know of have a zebra type pattern on their tail, probably from growth spurts, even on fertile streams. Some are more pronounced than others but they have always been there in some form. Kinda like Maurices holy grail tell tale blue spot behind the eye on brownies.
Maybe they dissappear when fish get that big sometimes, but my largest fish have still had them.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:31

From LV
If it's a well known stream, why doesn't one of you have the guts to name it so we can all watch out for it? And as TB says it's probably stocked fish anyway.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:37

From SEPA

Why does it matter if someone wants to tell you or not?

Posted on: 2013/5/2 9:47

From Harrisburg
Was thinkin it ..... especially if Pat knows it, he knows what to do if its not listed.

Posted on: 2013/5/2 10:06

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com