HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

Re: LLH fly shop

From Lehigh Valley
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
That's the Fly Shop that we are left with, and it is an Orvis full service store, so it carries the full line, whatever that is.

That's OK if you consider Reading as part of the Lehigh Valley. The Reading store is superb, but it ain't here. Traffic makes it one UGLY trip out and back. It's almost easier to drive to Philly and back. At least the traffic actually moves at more than a crawl.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 16:39

From Nazareth PA
Sorry to hear that the LLFS is closing. I have one of his rods and I really like it.
I started fly fishing there and was lucky enough to meet and learn for Al Miller and some of the other regulars there. I know that Rod had his moments but that was Rod. I saw him give things to people that were worth a lot of money. I will miss him and the shop.
Like Gary said its location was its draw and curse. If you could open a shop in the barn, that would have beeen better than the spring house.
I wish Rod the best in what ever he does.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 17:10

" It has always been my private conviction that any man who puts his intelligence against a fish and loses has it coming"...John Steinbeck

From Tioga co. formerly of bucks co.
there is no way you can live off of a fly shop. even with a online store unless you have $$$$$ to burn...trust me, been doing it for years...

Posted on: 2010/11/28 17:47

So many Fish, So little time !!!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing ghillie..
https://www.facebook.com/BigMeadowsFlyShop

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

Heritage-Angler wrote:
That's OK if you consider Reading as part of the Lehigh Valley. The Reading store is superb, but it ain't here. Traffic makes it one UGLY trip out and back. It's almost easier to drive to Philly and back. At least the traffic actually moves at more than a crawl.

And Cabela's is just down 78....

Posted on: 2010/11/28 18:29

From SEPA
Quote:

afishinado wrote:
Just to answer some comments about selling clothing in Orvis stores, the Company has maintained the tradition (150+ years) of selling FFing gear. If the entire store was dedicated to FFing gear alone, no store would remain open. The reality is FFing is a specialty sport and there is not enough volume of sales to warrant maintaining a store selling only FFing merchandise.

Orvis, the company, takes alot of flak for $400 dog beds, but anyone with a clue can recognize that one rich old lady's purchase of dog bed gives more profit than a year's supply of dubbing for 100 anglers.

However, I think the valley residents are more likely venting at a certained Orvis dealer, and his beautiful show room where Orvis branded clothing is only the tip of the money iceberg.

I can easily get a Barbour Heritage Classic Distressed Bedale for $500, but I can't get a pack of olive zonker strips for six months.

Or, y'know, my $1200 reel refinished after it was ruined.

I'd be estatic if Orvis opened a corporate store here.

Quote:

CLSports wrote:
You need to open a fly shop/bar/strip club. The best way to sell merchandise is to get the customer drunk and have an attractive young women sell you merchandise or their guiding service. Guys will open their wallets. Guaranteed. Consider this free advice to any perspective businessmen out there.

If you build it, I will come.

Seriously, but give it an innoculous name like "CLS Sports," not "CLS Flies, Beers, and Babes a-go-go." Ktnx.

Quote:

Chaz wrote:
That's the Fly Shop that we are left with, and it is an Orvis full service store, so it carries the full line, whatever that is.

TCO or A Sporting Lifestyle?

Too far and "meh," respectively.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 18:50

"Our only hope for a fly shop here in the Valley is if TCO takes a chance and puts a shop here. Tony has the skill to make that work, and I think it would do well for him."

I think a shop like TCO could survive in the valley. It has enough backing through mail/internet that it could survive the slow season. TCO has a great selection of products and manufacturers so its not just catering to a one product line customer base. I believe that as important as a stores product line is, equally as important is the staff. The staff must know the products being sold and be decent to the customer. I have been in alot of fly shops in my life and alot of the staff are less than desirable people to deal with.

HA, put the bug in his ear. Let him know that there is even a unemployed local that could manage it for him.

Good luck, Tony

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:20

gfen,

Excuse my stupidity. What is "meh"?

Thanks, Tony

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:22

From SEPA
Quote:

Tony300wby wrote:
gfen,
Excuse my stupidity. What is "meh"?
Thanks, Tony

A nice, family friendly way to sum up my feelings.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:29

From Bozeman
On a semi related note, Jonas informed me today that the feathered hook is phasing its tying gear and materials out. It's a shame, but a good business decision IMO.

Some good deals to be had if you're in the area.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 21:48

From Mount Joy, PA
"Meh" came from The Simpsons I believe

http://ask.metafilter.com/18815/The-Origin-of-meh

Posted on: 2010/11/28 22:39

From SEPA
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
"Meh" came from The Simpsons I believe

http://ask.metafilter.com/18815/The-Origin-of-meh

To that, I say "meh."

I picked it up from BBSes sometime around 1986, as my brother would use it quite frequently.

I highly doubt he was breaking new ground then, either.

Somethings just are.

Posted on: 2010/11/28 23:55

From Enola, Pa.
I buy all my fishing needs from the small flyshops, being a small business owner at one time I know how tough it is. Being a good friend of Jonas at the FH, I get most of my stuff from him. I do go to the FFP shop to get things from them that Jonas doesn't have, I alsio stop at the yellow breeches shop too. I always had a problem driving buy a flyshop, when on the road, to look around and at least buying something.

Probably why I have so many flies, I'll never use!

PaulG

Posted on: 2010/11/29 8:45

From Lehigh Valley
sorry - i don't buy the cabelas thing. Nor do i buy the "LV is too developed for a fly shop"

Cabelas is at least good 35 minutes from the lehigh valley depending on where you are talking (allentown, bethlehem, or easton areas). And frankly - cabelas isn't so hot..not local...and is not a pleasant experience.

NYC has plenty of fly shops..i don't see what development has to do with it. NYC is a good 2 hours away from any decent streams. Lehigh valley has the LLH, Monacacy, Bushkill, Cedar, etc...

Plenty of customers. Plenty of local streams. Problem is simply that no one has provided a true FLY shop with decent inventory.

I like the TCO idea...

Aside from the known silt btw - other huge issue with the macungie/llh issue is the amount of water that lower macungie and the city of allentown pump from the ground - they are literally sucking the life out of the stream.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 9:51

From Chester County
Quote:

trowpa wrote:
sorry - i don't buy the cabelas thing. Nor do i buy the "LV is too developed for a fly shop"

Cabelas is at least good 35 minutes from the lehigh valley depending on where you are talking (allentown, bethlehem, or easton areas). And frankly - cabelas isn't so hot..not local...and is not a pleasant experience.

NYC has plenty of fly shops..i don't see what development has to do with it. NYC is a good 2 hours away from any decent streams. Lehigh valley has the LLH, Monacacy, Bushkill, Cedar, etc...

Plenty of customers. Plenty of local streams. Problem is simply that no one has provided a true FLY shop with decent inventory.

I like the TCO idea...

I don't think it's really a location thing. I think the reason most FFing shops are closing is because many guys buy their tippet and split shot at the local fly shop and buy the bulk of their high dollar equipment on-line or at big box stores to save money, or time, or to have a larger selection. No right or wrong I guess....just reality.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 10:08

From Glenmoore PA
I will be the first to admit, Im one of the guys that does not help the local guy situation. I actually bought the majority of my equipment from the Orvis shop in the Lehigh Valley, and also French Creek Outfitters. But I also shop at Cabela's. Why? Convenience. I shoot pistols and fly fish, I can shop for ammo and supplies, hit the fly shop, etc. etc. I do sympathize with the local guys, and do buy stuff there occasionally. Im not a rich man, and I like my money to go a long way. Its a crappy situation.

As for Rod and the LLFS, he was a pain at times. But he is an institution, and feel that while his people skills may not have been the best, the LL is better off with him and his shop. He was the biggest advocate for that stream and some nice fly patterns came out of that shop.

Posted on: 2010/11/29 11:48

« 1 2 (3) 4 5 6 ... 14 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Do you keep a fishing journal?
Yes 52% (85)
No 47% (78)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/8/22 12:38
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com