HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

Re: LLH fly shop

From SEPA
Quote:

sandfly wrote:
I can't believe how all of you talk. You cry because a shop went under but tomorrow you'll all brag how you got such a good deal at so and so sew smart stores. Oh well more of the little guys will go under as long as everyone runs to the big stores and frabric stores, who wants to open a buisness with those odds. sorry had to rant....

I've been into alot of expensive, niche hobbies. And I can apprechiate local stores and discount Internet shopping.

I enjoy giving stores my money for their product, because it keeps things alive. I have no issue giving reasonable amounts of cash to places to ensure that their proprieters make a buck and find it helpful to remain in business.

However, I'm also raising twins on a single income since my wife was laid off. As such, I'm forced to be a bit frugal with my money, especially on consumables like flies.

Let's use bead chain as an example. If I can buy 3' of bead chain at a craft store for the same price as 12" of it in a fly shop, there's a good chance I'm going to go and buy it in the store. Its the same stuff, and it comes from the same place. Now, is it the fly shop's fault that their distributor charges them too much to buy it to begin with, so he can tack a reasonable amount on top? No. Its a shame I have to penalize the little guy as well as the big guy in my attempt to stay in the black, but sometimes you do what you gotta do.

I always do my best to try and give the local/small time guy a chance to earn my money, first. Always. However, if he's unable to meet my price requirements within a reasonable range (ie, a $200 rod at big box store costs me $210 at local guy, I'm very happy to give it to him; if its $225 at the local guy, well, I'm sorry but I can't always swing that much bigger).

Yes, its worth helping out the local business owner, because it keeps money local, keeps locality stronger, and helps keep people vested it knowing their customers, needs, and information.. These are all selfish reasons, but if the money is too much, no matter who's fault, then so be it.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 13:23

From Jonestown, PA
The only thing I've purchased from cabelas is my st.croix rod, I usually go there to look at hunting gear etc, not fly-fishing items. Honestly I don't think a place like that should carry fly-fishing gear, thats just my two cents.

I know a guy out my way who has been building rods for 40+ years and that's where I would usually go to get a new rod or an existing one repaired. He used to test gear for Scientific Anglers and Lamson some years back and they hooked him up with reels/lines etc to sell to his clients at a very reasonable price. Recently one of his clients opened his mouth to one of the employees at the fly-shop in cabelas and cabelas actually sent people out to his house and told him to stop selling those Lamson/SA products at such a low price or they would drive him out of business.. he fought that off for a couple years and now shut down his shop. Cabelas contacted Lamson and S/A and told them they wouldn't sell their products anymore if this guy is selling them for so low.

So I really don't support them too much. Plus some of their "sales" aren't really sales at all. My friend bought a pair of Togg chest waders from them with a "free" wading jacket and ended up paying full price and then some when it was all said and done.
Togg was running the same special for 150 and cabelas was 200, pretty ridiculous.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 16:04

From Delaware Co.
I wonder if Rod is going to take his pet fish with him ?

Posted on: 2010/11/30 16:57

From Eastern PA
Quote:
Cabelas contacted Lamson and S/A and told them they wouldn't sell their products anymore if this guy is selling them for so low.

Frankly, I can't believe the Lamson and S/A allowed the guy to do it. If Cabelas was doing the same practice I can assure you that local shops would jump all over it. You can't have a fixed pricing model for all except one.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:18

From Lewistown
I agree with jdaddy. Those companies set prices and retailers must abide or the company will remove products from the selves.

However, fly shop employees can usually get stuff at 50-60% discounts directly from the manufacture. I'm guessing that he was ordering the stuff at fly shop employee discounts and selling the product; which is against the companies' rules.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 17:28

From Monessen, PA
He decided not to play the price fixing game. Good for him.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:00

-- Leo Tolstoy

From Eastern PA
Quote:
He decided not to play the price fixing game. Good for him.

Ya, it worked out real well for him. LOL.

PS: I HATE the fixed price game.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:06

Quote:
On June 28, 2007, the Supreme Court overruled Dr. Miles, discussed below, holding that such vertical price restraints as Minimum Advertised Pricing are not per se unlawful but, rather, must be judged under the "rule of reason." Leegin Creative Leather Products, Inc. v. PSKS, Inc., Slip Op. No. 06–480 (Decided June 28, 2007).[4] This marked a dramatic shift on how attorneys and enforcement agencies address the legality of contractual minimum prices, and essentially allowed the reestablishment of resale price maintenance in the United States in most (but not all) commercial situations.

There is the price fixing game and the reason for it? So the little shop has a chance against the big guys. Winston rods are the same price at a small shop as Cabelas. This allows you to go to the shop with the best service.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:18

From The Hilton
Price fixing is #OOPS# and companies like Cabelas are the biggest price fixers out there. If a store owner whats to buy a product from a manufacture and sell it for less then the other guy then so be it thats his choice.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:21

From Eastern PA
Quote:
There is the price fixing game and the reason for it? So the little shop has a chance against the big guys. Winston rods are the same price at a small shop as Cabelas. This allows you to go to the shop with the best service.

I know that is the purported purpose for it. I also believe there is a strong desire to keep the brand "pure" or "elite". Back when Microsoft was trying to promote the Bing.com search engine they were rebating huge % of buy it now purchases on ebay. It was easy to get a 35% rebate direct from Microsoft on items that Microsoft had nothing to do with. In fact I bought a lot of my fly fishing stuff that way. Had shops post items on ebay so I could buy them and get a 35% cash back. Well there is a tool company out there, real elite German tool company called Festool, that would not allow it's dealers to sell their items on Ebay during this time period, even though they were being sold at full retail! Microsoft was rebating the item, which sold at full price, and had nothing to do with dealer pricing. This short sighted company could have sold millions and millions of dollars of equipment by allowing this, as their tool line is a system and "you can't buy just one". Naturally this was before the economy crashed. Bet they would love to see that program again! They cited their desire to keep their products of the "utmost integrity" i.e. keep them out of poor tool slobs hands.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:26

From Eastern PA
Quote:
If a store owner whats to buy a product from a manufacture and sell it for less then the other guy then so be it thats his choice.

You've been in this business long enough to know that ain't so. Dealer sells Simms waders, boots, etc of a current product line for less than MSRP and they loose their contract.

Quote:
Price fixing is #OOPS# and companies like Cabelas are the biggest price fixers out there.

Actually they have a few ways around it that are pissing the small guys off, especially the Winston dealers. They have a disclaimer on the $150 off $600 coupons such as no hand guns, no ammo, but they still allow them on Winston, Sage, Waterworks, etc. So Cabelas can sell a $700 Winston for $550. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts, but frankly they have been selling Sage with Cabelas point discounts, coupons, etc for years.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:28

From The Hilton
I know thats how it works and your right if you under cut what the manufacture tells you to sell for you can say bye bye to that manufacture. I've also seen the write up's which for most items would make people wanna puke.

It still doesnt make it right.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:34

From The Hilton
There are ways around it for the small guys too. Most just arent advertised, get to know a shop owner and deals can be made.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 19:36

From Jonestown, PA
Well believe it or not, he's been doing that before cabelas even was built in hamburg.

It's how I got my Guru and numerous lines. He's never received any flack from lamson or s/a before cabelas was built.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 20:45

From Eastern PA
Quote:
Well believe it or not, he's been doing that before cabelas even was built in hamburg. It's how I got my Guru and numerous lines. He's never received any flack from lamson or s/a before cabelas was built.

I believe it. And I believe there were no other Lamson dealers in the area that cared.

Posted on: 2010/11/30 21:59

« 1 2 3 4 (5) 6 7 8 ... 14 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com