Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2)

Re: LET'S GO NATIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

From Harrisburg
Dear Wulff-Man,

I'm not bashing the brookie either, I'm just responding to Chaz's post on another message board recommending that the Fish Commission remove brown trout from our large limestone streams in favor of restoring brook trout.

I say go for it, once we remove all the people and buildings and industry and mines and roads and bridges and cut down all the hardwood trees and replant Hemlocks and White Pines and give everything 300 years to re-establish. It is a no-brainer!

Of course there would be no one left to fish for those fish except for Indians fishing for subsistence but what difference does that make?

Regards,
Tim Murphy

Posted on: 2007/3/23 1:10

From Pine Grove
Quote:

Chaz wrote:
Your forgot to mention that brookies were the top predator in over 90 5 of PA waters. I'm not sure if Susquehanna Salmon were Walleyes, since they aren't native to the drainage, it may have been shad that were called Sus. Salmon or it could have been brookies, in season, many locales call trout salmon if they were known to migrate.

Thanks Chaz! I think I actually got the walleye reference on this board, but I'm not sure from whom. I had originally thought that the salmon of which they spoke were Atlantics, but can find no other reference to this, and their range apparently wasn't this far south. I have an older copy of a history book of the town I live in that says they used to fish in the Swatara creek for eels, shad, and salmon, which kinda rules out shad, but leaves brookies as a possibility. There's also a show that WVIA made a year or so ago about the Susquehanna and it's drainage that made a reference to salmon, then showed a very old black and white picture of either a brownie or an atlantic, but in hindsight I'm sure this was either a stocked brown from back in the day or else just a stock photo with bad research. I've also heaerd reference to "river trout" which were a large strain of brookie that lived in larger waterways, and I'm guessing that to a colonial the difference between a 5 pound brookie and a salmon was nil. I love to catch big browns, don't get me wrong, but monster spawning brookies? I'd say I'd like to have been born 300 years ago, but dang, that cholera's gotta suck!

Boyer

Posted on: 2007/3/23 7:14

From Other side of the tracks
OK, I'll cut you some slack, but of all the fish out there, i still can't believe you forgot bullheads. (Thee may or may not be a hidden message in hat statement)

That freakin Wulff-Man has been reading my mind again. He pretty much described my views on this.

As you know, I am a big fan fo brook trout and I favor those over all the imported trout, but that doesn't mean i don't like to fish for other things. If i were out west, I am sure I would prefer rainbows or cuts or goldens depending on where I lived.

Hey Wulff-Man, guess what i am thinking now.

Posted on: 2007/3/23 7:49

From Southeast PA
Something about the Browns and the Superbowl? And the beer's getting low? And, and.... oh, man!

I'm thinking I better stop forgetting my med's, your mind is a scary place!

Posted on: 2007/3/23 8:12

From Attitudinally, one mile south of Lake LeBoeuf
I favor any and all management strategies that enhance the well being of wild broook trout populations so long as they do not involve our manipulation of other existing self-sustaining populations of other species of trout. There may be a few exceptions to this. But by and large, I think the notion of Affirmative Action has the same limited utility in fisheries management as it does in socio-political applications. There is a place for it, but IMO, it is a fairly narrow one.

To that end, for example, if a stream suitable for brook trout was reclaimed from a dead, AMD state and a decision had to be made on the future of the fishery, I'd be for trying to reestablish brook trout there. On the other hand, I would oppose the removal or elimination of an existing wild BT or RT pop. in a stream to attempt to reestablish ST.

Posted on: 2007/3/23 9:15

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

RLeeP wrote:
I favor any and all management strategies that enhance the well being of wild broook trout populations so long as they do not involve our manipulation of other existing self-sustaining populations of other species of trout.

Rob, Why limit this to just trout? I mean, if there was a reproducing population of Northern Snakeheads ...

Posted on: 2007/3/23 10:10

From Manheim, PA
Tim, doesn't bother me at all 99% of my fishing is for native brookies to begin with.

Posted on: 2007/3/23 15:11

« 1 (2)

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com