Knox...Clarion

tstooge26

tstooge26

Hello everyone,

This might be a dangerous question with everyone arguing about stream names and different spots but I'm going to ask anyways. Next weekend I am going up to Wolf's Campground (Knox) in clarion. The only creek I have fished up there is east sandy. Now normally i will just go to a new spot and walk till I find a suitable section of creek, but I will be with my dad and uncle and they dont like to walk as much, my uncle is mobile, but not that mobile. Now Im not trying to steal anyones spot or anything I was just wondering if someone would have any tips or suggestions on the different creeks up in that area. I finally got my dad out fishing with me a few times but he hasnt landed a trout this year. So any tips or advice would be good.

I appreciate this suggestions, and I hope no body gets upset for me asking for a spot to take my family.

Thanks

I don't think anyone has a problem with asking where to go. I'm sure you'll get plenty of PMs. I think the majority of people that don't care for "spot burning" would only mind if someone posts locations of small streams for all to see.

Good luck!

what are you looking for ? fly fishing only ? hatches ? small water ? big water ? wild fish ? stocked fish ? how far do you wanna travel ? will u be wading ? dry fly or nymph ? when you say next weekend u mean may 3rd & 4th ? i can tell you where to go if u tell me what you want

troutslammer wrote:
when you say next weekend u mean may 3rd & 4th ?

If only we could turn back the hands of time and start with the prime hatches again. Zooooooooop.... back to reality.

sorry jack , i guess i was dreaming .....shoulda been july 3rd, 4th

Well, I am not familiar with any trout fishing close to there that meets your desctiption. I probably would have suggested East Sandy, but I don't know how warm it gets.

But I'll "spotburn" this.

link

aint trout fishing, but it is some good fishing.

here is another link if you are dead set on trout.

link

you can use the map features to find trout waters. Areound there, it is mostly stocked waters.

If I think of anything else, I'll PM. but they probably would be the same ones tha pcray told you in his PM.

Wolf's campground...I used to party with Joe Wolf during summers when I was at Clarion...good people.

Drive east to Strattenville and follow Mill Creek road to Mill Creek. Ask at the campground and you can get more complete directions...also Beaver creek is just NW. Mill is an ATW with lots of access and places you can fish close to the car and others you can explore if yo get a jones to do some walking. Up or down stream from the smallish wooden bridge (unless they've built a new one) will take you to fish.

probably in the same amount of time to drive to mill creek (put and take stream ) you can be to oil creek in about say 45 min. east sandy stays cold but lacks water big time in the summer but we got pounded with a short rain today and next couple days looks like rain , beaver is another put and take stream also , there are trout in the open water but u have to work for them and some are grown up this time of year for fly fishing , i guess we need to know what he's looking for to make a good suggestion ~!

Its 11 miles from Knox to Strattenville and its less than a 5 minute ride to mill creek from there.

You may want to consider checking out the clarion river area
The lower reaches - around cooks forest and belltown - are probably a little warm for trout now, but the bass fishing is great - so I hear anyway. Millstone and spring creeks - which run into the clarion - offer some pretty nice trout fishing however.

And Farmer Dave heartily recommends eating a belly burger at the halton hilton

That would also increase your chances of hitting a bikini hatch.

tomgamber wrote:
That would also increase your chances of hitting a bikini hatch.

Now you went and did it. You spot burned my favorite bikini hatch, just before the best hatch of the year! It's ruined!

That would be DFG..I gave no location for the hatch...not that I really give a crap about spot burning.

5 min ride to mill creek from strattanville - wow tom i am not riding with you , mapquest says 19.9 mile from koa to millcreek bridge , if its 11 to strattanville that means it is 9 mile from there , u could make it in 5 minuts if u went arround 110 mph , and it is back roads , if u drive tom i'll meet ya there , koa to oil creek is 28 mile , a no brainer for me which one i would go to

ok so make it a ten minute drive...its not 45 minutes. That's less than half the time you said it would take you to go to oil. That's a no brainer...he also mentioned the ability for the older guys to get around. Many places on Mill you wouldn't even have to wade.

actually tom with mill creek being almost half back roads to travel , the time to drive to both streams (oil being 8 mile further ) is probably minutes and oil has much better access for old people , mowed yard right down to the water with picnic tables to rest at 50 ft from the water , if we get not rain between now and then i would be willing to bet there won't be enough water in millcreek to do any good fishing. mill creek has alot of high banks but it is mostly shallow water with few deeper holes , i am busting on ya again tom , but in all seriousness GO TO OIL DHAOL !

Dude..went to college at Clarion. Fished Mill creek twice a week. Short ride from downtown Clarion. i assume you like Oil creek. But if you are staying in Knox at Wolfs, Mill creek is a good place to go. Argue all you want. That's my recommendation and where I would tell my friends to go. End of discussion.

If we get the rain we need, I would head to Oil without thinking twice about it.

when you fished mill creek tom in college , did u fly fish or spin fish ? did you see any bugs on mill creek , the red iron bridge is no longer there , its probably been how many years since u fished it ? did u fish below the bridge down stream a ways ? if so how red was the water , u know its polluted don't ya since u fished it so much , u stick with your recommendation and i will stick with mine ...were even

Back