Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

Know where you are fishing

Some fly anglers have strayed a few hundred yards to a few miles from special reg areas into regular stocked sections or streams in the last week. Make sure you know the boundaries of special reg areas, which should be posted ( and were). Likewise, make sure you know that you are on the correct stream.

Posted on: 3/24 20:29

Re: Know where you are fishing

From LV
Thank for posting Mike, but can you elaborate.

Posted on: 3/24 20:36

I'm not sure that elaboration would change the point being made, which I think I expressed with clarity.

Posted on: 3/24 20:40

Edited by Mike on 2014/3/24 20:56:23
Edited by Mike on 2014/3/24 20:58:48

From Pennsylvania
I noticed that a lot of stocked streams don't have the white signs posted this year.(The ones stating APPROVED TROUT WATERS etc.)

Posted on: 3/24 21:28

From Lancaster County
There's blissful ignorance and then there's willful ignorance. Blissful ignorance is someone fishing the West Branch of the Octorara and straying above the top portion of the FFO stretch, just below Kirkwood Pike. Willful ignorance is the gentleman I observed and then talked to, who was fishing the hole below the culvert on Stewarts Run. When I asked him if he knew that the stream was closed to fishing, he said he thought he was fishing Octorara... Except I also observed him walking up from Octorara..

Posted on: 3/24 21:48

From Lilly, PA
I wish they would post signs on the Class A stream boundaries for those that are partially stocked/part Class A. Although I put the coordinates for the boundaries in my GPS for the streams I plan to fish. Most of them end at a bridge or a stream junction, but occasionally the Class A sections dont end at landmarks.

Posted on: 3/24 21:57

PaGeologist:
What benefit would warrant the expense and time taken on a statewide basis in order to accomplish this task? You can't fish a regular (no special regs) class A section that abuts a stocked trout section with the same name and in the same county before opening day anyway.

Posted on: 3/25 8:02

The particular officer could be out of signs, but more likely does not post the streams until immediately prior to opening day because the signs have in some cases have seemed to CAUSE poaching problems.

Posted on: 3/25 8:09

From Pittsburgh
Quote:

Mike wrote:
PaGeologist:
What benefit would warrant the expense and time taken on a statewide basis in order to accomplish this task? You can't fish a regular (no special regs) class A section that abuts a stocked trout section with the same name and in the same county before opening day anyway.

That is interesting.
And answers a question that I've been wondering about for many years.
Big Fishing Creek - in clinton county - is stocked in it's last mile or two before it dumps into bald eagle creek, in mill hall. Then has many miles of class A water upstream - same name, same county - before the special regs water in the narrows.
In the past, I've fished that middle class A section on occasion before opening day.
Sure sounds like that is illegal, and I could have been fined

Posted on: 3/25 8:49

From South Central PA
The number of hookups could be an indicator that you are no longer in Kansas.

Posted on: 3/25 9:24

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
1. Posting every inch of every ATW in PA I would think would be time consuming and prohibitively expensive. Remember, unless a stretch has special regs, if the stream is listed as ATW, the WHOLE stream is ATW even if that area isn't stocked.

2. Posting every inch of every class A in PA would CERTAINLY be time consuming and prohibitively expensive. Add to that the streams which are neither class A nor ATW, but carry largely the same regs, and it's just getting ridiculous.

It's real simple. Go to the PFBC website, look at list of ATW's. If stream is listed, you can't fish that stream. At all. Anywhere. The only exceptions being if there is a special reg section on said stream, or limits to the ATW posted. And in those cases, the limits of where you are allowed to fish become clear.

Posted on: 3/25 9:43

From Pittsburgh
Pcray,

When I used to fish that Class A section of fishing creek - quite a few years ago now - there was an explanation from the PFBC that all ATW sections, AND THEIR DOWNSTREAM SECTIONS - were closed to fishing before opening day. That certainly sounded to me like I was OK fishing upstream. And after getting into some discussion about it on this site, the majority agreed that that was the case.

The rule has definitely been simplified now I guess

Posted on: 3/25 9:58

From Other side of the tracks
Here's one for you , Mike.

I once wondered outside of a special reg by a few feet a couple days before the opener. It was on East Hickory. I was actually above the sign, but below the bridge which was the real boundary.

I didn't know, and since we were C&R, the WCO only gave us a warning and explained the boundary.

We don't need any more freak'n signs especially on wild trout streams (class A or not). All they do is mess up the view. Those that need signs to show them where to fish ought to take up golf.

Posted on: 3/25 10:04

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
Dry fly,

The problem is that the section you were fishing isn't "above an ATW", it IS ATW. People have this tendency to think that the section that is ATW only goes up as high as the upper stocking limit. But that is not the case.

If the stream is listed ATW, then the whole stream is ATW, even above the upper most stocking point. The only exception is the relatively rare case where they actually list an upper limit to the ATW section. Most of the time, they merely list the stream name.

It's a common situation in PA where a downstream area is stocked and an upstream area is not stocked, but holds wild fish (or even class A). But in most of these cases, the whole stream is listed as an ATW and even the wild trout areas are off limits.

Posted on: 3/25 10:22

From Barto PA
Is this a new rule? As someone stated, the rule book used to say "and down stream areas", but as of last year they no longer stated that. So how about Cedar Cr. in Allentown above the lake. That is heavily fished during the closed season by fly fishermen. In the very upper reaches where the resident privately stocks pig size hatchery fish on top of a class A population of wild browns, there are even signs saying you may fish during the closed season but you can't keep any fish. I think those signs are put up by the Parks Dept. And what about the lower part of the Lehigh River. Tons of people float this stretch and wade fish it during the closed season. Some even post fishing reports about doing so. Why shouldn't that be closed as well? Just one more of those things where you would need to have a fish warden or possibly a lawyer accompany you on every outing. Definitly enough to make you say to hell with it all and give up fishing altogether. At least in other sports there are well defined areas of play without all the constant changes and ambiguity.

Posted on: 3/25 11:20

(1) 2 3 4 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com