Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

Re: Know where you are fishing

From North East PA
Quote:

Mike wrote:
300 m measured down the center line of the stream

Mike

Not trying to be a disease, but this is still way too ambiguous in my book. Streams rarely run in straight lines for much of a distance.

Seems to me anglers would be wise to err well on the side o f caution when there are not more clearly defined borders.

That aside, Thanks for the quick response and for all you do to help explain what is going on with the regs and programs.

Posted on: 4/6 20:34

"Hey, Wait, that rock is moving" - Pat D, Newbie Jam, 3/16/13

From Lansdale
Not only is that ambiguous, I, as well as many, don't carry a GPS or even a GPS capable cell on the stream. How am I supposed to know I'm 300 meters away. A meter is what, 39" ?

Posted on: 4/7 6:01

My experiences have been that signs are usually posted on trees at the ends of special reg areas or else a club has strung a wire across the stream at one or both ends. By the way, where I mentioned the center line of the channel above, it does not matter whether the stream meanders or is straight, the 300 meters follows the course of the stream as if you were walking down the middle.

Posted on: 4/7 7:55

Edited by Mike on 2014/4/7 8:32:44
Edited by Mike on 2014/4/7 8:35:12

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
I dunno. This seems to vary by region the more I look into it, and they're going more and more to limits over the years.

If you're choices are:

1. Call the whole stream off limits
2. Specify ATW boundaries but with somewhat ambiguous end points.

I'll take #2 every time. The ambiguous areas are rather small compared with the places that are clear.

It seems like here in SE PA they're listing limits anymore on most ATW's. I like that. In other areas of the state it's rather rare to list limits. And in those same areas, MOST reasonably sized wild trout streams are stocked somewhere downstream.

Posted on: 4/7 8:01

From Other side of the tracks
Quote:

RRR wrote:
UFMGuy wrote concerning waters off limits to fishing from March 1 to opening day:

"Approved trout waters and all waters downstream of approved trout waters are open to fishing during the extended season...These waters are closed to all fishing from March 1 to Opening Day."

Besides the note about spearing fish, there is a paragraph change where that "..." is.

Here is the text.

Both paragraphs apply to the subject of "approved trout waters."

So, if there is a downstream boundary specified for an ATW, that water downstream from there is open for harvest during the extended season just like if it was part of the ATW, but NOT close to fishing from March 1 to opening day because it is not "Approved Trout Waters".

What would be the point of posting a downstream boundary.

Quote:
I don't know if they didn't state boundaries several yrs. back or what, but I know that years ago you could not fish downstream on any stocked stream all the way to it's mouth.

remember, stocking limit is not the same as a published lower limit for ATW.

I'll be 54 soon and there has always been a downstream ATW boundary on Tionesta Creek as long as I can remember. And as a teen and even before that I had often fished it between March 1 and Opening day for various panfish and even suckers. Whatever would bite. If not Tionesta Creek, then it was the Clarion River which was also never closed to fishing below the published boundaries.

I am 100% positive of this.

It could be that they recently added a downstream boundary to one of your streams, but this rule has always been that way as long as I can remember. ATWs closed from March 1 to opening day. Downstream areas not close. Extended season applies to both.

Posted on: 4/7 10:10

Edited by FarmerDave on 2014/4/7 10:25:57

From LV
Avoid ATWs downstream of limits.

Posted on: 4/7 11:08

From LV
Quote:

djs12354 wrote:
What about things like this example?

I used this last year to try and find the Fly Fishing Only, C & R on the Dyberry. Is it 300 meters as the crow flies? 300 meters along the stream bed, or 300 meters along Dug Road? I suspect I was unintentionally illegal the first time I fished there prior to the general opening. And I did use my GPS to try and determine the boundaries, but how exact are they? There is some room for error.

Why not use the two bridges as boundaries in an instance like this?

From the PAFBC website:

Dyberry Creek 2

300M DNST 3RD UPST BRDG ON DUG RD ( SR4009): Lat: 41.6506, Long: -75.2794

2ND UPS BRDG ON DUG RD ( SR4009): Lat: 41.6416, Long: -75.2727

Dyberry Creek is one I'd avoid during the closed season because the boundaries have changed a few times over the years. For instance, it used to be from the junction of the branches the Mary something or other Bridge, who knows where that is? Anyway it was the first bridge up from the bridge at SR 4009. So the limits are much shorter than before. Plus there is posting.

Posted on: 4/7 11:23

From Lancaster County
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
Not only is that ambiguous, I, as well as many, don't carry a GPS or even a GPS capable cell on the stream. How am I supposed to know I'm 300 meters away. A meter is what, 39" ?

A quick way to guesstimate this is to know what your stride is. Mine is about a meter, so about three hundred steps downstream would be the distance. This is how we field estimated rock formation thickness in the field when we didn't have a measuring tape. Number of steps X stride measurement = distance.

Posted on: 4/7 15:02

From LV
Judgingby all the responses, no one here knows where they are fishing.

Posted on: 4/7 16:26

From North East PA
FWIW - This is the first time I have seen posters defining the upper limit of the FFOC&R on the Dyberry. Lower limit, at the bridge was marked.

As Chaz said, some No Trespassing signs along the way, but also lots of gamelands and other non posted area.

Posted on: 4/8 16:46

I checked out a stream last Saturday, thinking it should be Class A, only to find it was ATW when I got my bearings near the stream. There was not an ATW sign in sight, and no real feasible way to stock it due to access and topography. I couldn't believe it was stocked, not a trout to be seen at any bridges.

Posted on: 4/8 18:07
"I think I fish, in part, because it's an anti-social, bohemian business that, when gone about properly, puts you forever outside the mainstream culture without actually landing you in an institution." John Gierach

Maybe it is float stocked.

Posted on: 4/9 7:43

From Pretty much everywhere at some point, Thorndale today.
And maybe that section isn't stocked, but somewhere else is, and the whole stream carries the ATW designation.

The point I made earlier is that "the section you are on does not have to be stocked for it to be an ATW". If it's listed as an ATW, it is one, whether or not that particular section is stocked.

Posted on: 4/9 7:57

From Chester County
Quote:

pcray1231 wrote:
And maybe that section isn't stocked, but somewhere else is, and the whole stream carries the ATW designation.

The point I made earlier is that "the section you are on does not have to be stocked for it to be an ATW". If it's listed as an ATW, it is one, whether or not that particular section is stocked.

True. If you go to the stocking section in the PFBC site and choose a county, each section (if there are multiple sections) of ATW will be listed. There are GPS coordinates listing both the upper and lower limits of stocking for the stream or section. If you click on the coordinate, a Google map will pop up with a marker at that point.

With that being said, not every inch/foot/meter of stream in that section or stream is stocked between those points. Most stocking points are usually pretty obvious. Check for "Fishing Permitted" sign along the stream.

If you don't know where you're fishing.....don't blame the Commish, they do a pretty good job marking it. (Plus Mike's fingers are bleeding from typing on here about where to and sometimes how to fish.)

Posted on: 4/9 8:08

From North East PA
Afish

Not blaming the PAFBC for what is my responsibility (knowing where I m on the stream), nor am I busting Mike. If it came across that way, I apologize to Mike.

My point, and is could have been stated more clearly, is that there could be more common sense definition of the special regs section of waters. IE, bridge a upstream to bridge b, rather than the bridge a to a point 300 meters downstream of bridge b.

Posted on: 4/9 20:18

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com