Keeping Streams close to the cuff

PoconoPaul

PoconoPaul

From time to time I've read posts here and on other forums. Every forum has a guy or two or three that talk about "secret" spots, streams and/or are discreet about where they fish.

I've come to appreciate those sentiments over the years to certain extent, but by the same token some of the same guys that have preached discretion, are also the same guys that tell inquiring minds where to fish, specifically, & sometimes right in their own home watershed.

In some cases these streams have a class A rating or are a stream contains fair number of wild trout with the potential to become a more robust wild trout fishery in time given it's current pressure, and without adding any more.

I find this a bit hard to reconcile sometimes, because on one hand these guys are preaching silence about a particular stream or streams, yet dishing on others. Shouldn't the response be consistent across the board?

Maybe a stock answer should be, depending on where someone asks about fishing, be - refer to page x in the Delorme topo map book without any specifics?

One case in point, about a month or so ago someone asked about fishing the SE region. One response from one of the posters that's typically quiet on specific places to fish around the state actually gave out the names of a couple of streams in that area.

Sadly these streams do have more pressure than one would want, but why increase the potential for more?

This horse has already been beaten to death. Try the glue factory if you are still interested...

And what was the outcome or consensus?

I am not here often, so I don't have any idea how the beating went....

The guy who was beating the horse is also dead now...

PP - you asked for it, so here it is...23 pages of crap...my own posts included.

Ehhhh...second time in a row I can't get links to work from this computer...click on csoult's link below.

The basic outcome was that the site owner and mods want to encourage the free sharing of information on the site...if you want to share, great...if you don't, great...just don't chastise the other group for doing what they feel is right.

Swattie is a little quicker than I

Yeah, but my link didn't work! Tag team effort csoult.

There is no consensus. You have multiple camps still.

1. Not ok to talk about streams at all. We should never speak of streams on a fishing message board.

2. Only in PM's, not for public consumption.

3. Ok to talk about the already famous streams, those are out of the bag, but leave the lesser known waters alone. This devolves into what constitutes "famous", and can alternatively be described as "It's ok for everyone to talk about your streams, but not mine".

4. Ok to talk about streams, but keep the glowing reports that "THIS" is the place to fish to a minimum.

5. Ok to talk about streams only when stream is in trouble and needs help.

6. #5 doesn't work when nobody knows or cares about the stream in question. Streams need friends. And the problem is that too many anglers are concentrated on too few streams, while so many streams are lightly fished and uncared for. Please, talk about streams, encourage anglers to expand their horizons. But don't name one at a time to send everyone there, name dozens that'll take em a while to work through.

^Good technical breakdown by pcray as usual!

I'd add a 7. Ok to talk about all streams, regardless of reason.

I see what you mean. :-D

Definitely fine with sharing, but also learning as well and that is why I come here. Time or lack there of is why it is not as often.

While I view the majority of posters here as pretty genuine and honest, and willing to assist, I think there are a few (a small few) that aren't always consistent in message, and use the same descretion no matter what the area. It kind of gives me the sense that that small majority is open about certain areas in order to keep people away from other areas. At least with consistency you'd wouldn't get that impression. Anyway enough of that.

Thanks for your response.

No rule saying you have to post about anything at all.

I'm just going to start making up fake stream names.

When I write on the Internet about stuff I've done or places I've been, I often do it in code. Just in general. With a few clues included, so that only people who have been there might have an idea as to what or where or who I'm talking about.

Uh huh, you know. That place.

barbless wrote:
When I write on the Internet about stuff I've done or places I've been, I often do it in code. Just in general. With a few clues included, so that only people who have been there might have an idea as to what or where or who I'm talking about.

Uh huh, you know. That place.

I've been there.... and got skunked!

I generally practice a combination of the camps I listed. My general feeling is #6, however, to conform to social convention (and to prevent thread derails), I generally conform to "only the famous ones" rule. If someone else mentions a stream first, then I'll respond honestly. I'm more open on streams in PM's than on the board. And if I was shown the spot rather than finding it myself, then I get really stingy, as I value friendships most of all.

Another point to bring up. The OT board is visible only by members, not lurkers. Personally, I'd advocate putting either stream locations or stream reports under the same rules to quell some of these debates, and perhaps open up the lines of communication a little.

This whole issue has rendered the stream reports useless because no one want to post about any stream that hasn't been written about a hundred times. So what you see is the LL, Spring, Penns, LJ, etc. ad nauseum. You get nothing of any value because folks have been beaten terribly by AH's thinking that everything is a spot burn.

spot burn - in otherwords giving it away?

By the way, is Perk TU going to remove the other dam at some point on the Perkiomen below the VFW (across from Knoll's) and above the Peavy Rd iron bridge?

That one is in pretty bad shape - a sign down there say no trespassing around the dam, but otherwise no landowner postings).

Back