Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Keeping Stockies for the benefit of Wild Trout

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

Swattie87 wrote:
Quote:

wildtrout2 wrote:
Thanks for your concern Matt, you're correct, but I'll probably continue to take my chances.

You bet Jeff...I won't pinch ya. Most of the places we run into one another don't have too many stockies anyway.

Very true!

Posted on: 2/26 9:52

From Ephrata, PA
Yeah...I think keepin' your limit of stockies on a stream w/ wild trout is good and fine. In particular, if you plan on actually eating the fish!

I've also been known to keep a few wild brownies. During the "WBTE" days, I would harvest legal-sized wild brownies on those streams. Helping the program, right!?

Also, when I was planning a trip to the Smokies, in talking w/ locals, I was encouraged to harvest wild bows on streams where efforts were being made to expand the range of the southern Brookies.

Smart harvesting has its benefits.

Posted on: 2/26 11:28

From LV
I harvest stockies in WTS, but I shouldn't have to, I just don't want stockies in any WTS. But the real problem is that no mater how short a period stockies are in a WTS, there is a negative impact. Particularly in brookies streams.

Posted on: 2/26 14:33

From Meadville
Stocked trout have an affect on the stream both directly and indirectly. The direct affect is obviously a disruption of the Streams ecosystem and the indirect affect is the crowds of fisherman that these streams attract and the problems they bring: Fishing line tangled up in tree limbs for birds to get tangled in, trash on the ground and so on. This is in stark contrast to a wild trout stream, or at least the ones I fish.

Stocking trout has an affect on a lot more than just wild trout, it has an affect on all living creatures in that particular drainage.

I tend to look at things through the eyes of an ecologist and not a fisherman.

Posted on: 2/26 18:49
"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived." -Thoreau

From Burke VA
I prefer to take the other route, harvest those pesky gemmies to make room for the much larger stockers

Posted on: 2/26 22:11

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

ryansheehan wrote:
I prefer to take the other route, harvest those pesky gemmies to make room for the much larger stockers

Very good!

Posted on: 2/27 6:21

From Greensburg, PA
If there are guys at camp to fed, I keep some stockers for dinner. if no one is going to eat them, I leave them in so someone else can catch them. When all that is left in the stream are wild fish, those are the ones people will eat.

Posted on: 2/27 8:31

Quote:

misanthropist wrote:
Stocked trout have an affect on the stream both directly and indirectly. The direct affect is obviously a disruption of the Streams ecosystem and the indirect affect is the crowds of fisherman that these streams attract and the problems they bring: Fishing line tangled up in tree limbs for birds to get tangled in, trash on the ground and so on. This is in stark contrast to a wild trout stream, or at least the ones I fish.

Stocking trout has an affect on a lot more than just wild trout, it has an affect on all living creatures in that particular drainage.

Exactly! Very well stated.

Posted on: 2/27 8:40

From Hermitage
I like a Trout dinner but wouldn't eat a freshly stocked Trout. Their flesh is mushy and has a grey look. The only Trout I'll eat are what we used to call pinkys. After a Trout has been in the stream for awhile their flesh turns a nice pinkish and firms up. I use to keep one nice Brownie a year for my parents. If I caught a nice 16 or 18 inch brownie that had nice color I'd keep it for them.

Posted on: 2/27 11:00

Quote:

Lkyboots wrote:
I like a Trout dinner but wouldn't eat a freshly stocked Trout. Their flesh is mushy and has a grey look. The only Trout I'll eat are what we used to call pinkys. After a Trout has been in the stream for awhile their flesh turns a nice pinkish and firms up. I use to keep one nice Brownie a year for my parents. If I caught a nice 16 or 18 inch brownie that had nice color I'd keep it for them.

Most of the trout people describe as having "been in the stream awhile" are wild trout, not stocked trout.

Posted on: 2/27 14:17

If you cook them with bacon, they taste good. Because they taste like bacon.

Posted on: 2/27 14:18

From State College, PA
Dave-
I'd be remiss if I didn't mention that Falling Springs DHALO should have stocking terminated. That stream section should be surveyed for conclusive proof that it is likely Class A. I agree with your general assessment that most DHALOs suffer thermal problems in the Summer and thus aren't hurt by creeling fish. With this particular stream, I don't think it should be stocked or allow for harvest. The last few years, I have found more and more wild rainbows in the upper half of the project water coupled with a pretty robust population of wild browns that only gets better as you head down to Walker Avenue.

Posted on: 2/27 15:48

From Lancaster County
Quote:

misanthropist wrote:

Wild trout streams are not immune to fishing line tangled in limbs, trash on the ground, and so on. I've found San Juan worms in trees on a class A stream in Cambria county at least two miles from a road (cleaned it up by adding it to my fly box), a bobber and line and glob of Power Bait stuck in a tree on another stream closer to home, and several containers of Power Bait that must have fallen out of an unsuspecting angler's vest on another Class A stream, a few miles off the beaten path. Oh, and that reminds me of what appeared to be deep sea line and hook that had been embedded in a stream a good ways from a road on another Class A.

Angling has an affect on fish, stocked or wild, and the stream they are in, no matter what eyes you look through.

Posted on: 2/27 15:53

Quote:

salmonoid wrote:
Wild trout streams are not immune to fishing line tangled in limbs, trash on the ground, and so on....Angling has an affect on fish, stocked or wild, and the stream they are in, no matter what eyes you look through.

True enough. However, there can be little doubt the negative effects are magnified by increased angling pressure. The A-holes are in every crowd to a greater or lesser degree. It's a numbers game.

I think your examples are the exception, not the rule. A metric could be volume of litter per stream mile. How do you think easily accessed stock streams would rank after opening weekend as compared to wild, unstocked streams any time of year?

The point is, the white trucks are beacons to anglers, therefore increasing the angling pressure on limited streams manifold. There is also a culture of entitlement tied to stocking.

Ironically, many of the same folks who scream at any reduction in stocking will rail at other entitlement programs that mainly help minorities.

Posted on: 2/27 16:16

misanthropist,
It appears (did not do an extensive search) that the jury is still out on the ecological effects of stocking adult trout on macros and other fish species. My quick search suggested that the impacts on macroinvertebrates were equivocal. As for the impact on non-game stream fishes, the one study that I recall was published relatively recently and revealed no impact.

Meanwhile, the only stream where I ever noted what appeared to be a substantive impact on minnow abundance was in a C&R fly stretch, not the regular stocked trout stretch on the same stream. The C&R fly stretch was stocked adequately by the PFBC, but sportsmen added many additional trout and the density of stocked trout appeared to be too high ecologically, and certainly higher than I would have liked to see in any stocked stretch. The difference in minnow abundance between the fly stretch and the "bait" stretch was clear. A year later the sportsmen cut way back on the stocking of that CRFFO based on the results.

Posted on: 2/27 21:11

Edited by Mike on 2018/2/27 21:40:10
Edited by Mike on 2018/2/27 21:50:57
Edited by Mike on 2018/2/27 21:56:08
Edited by Mike on 2018/2/27 21:57:04

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Sponsors
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

USGS Water Levels
Polls
Do You Have or Will You Obtain Multiple State Fishing License’s for 2018?
Yes 68% (64)
No 31% (29)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2018/7/20 10:51
5 Comments

Copyright 2018 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com