Kayak and lanyard on your flyrod

KeithS

KeithS

With the recent rains, I may rent a kayak at a local county lake. The creeks will be blown out.
I'm concerned with dropping the rod in the lake and losing it.
Do any of you tie a lanyard around the reel seat and attach it to your wrist?
May sound dumb, but I don't want to lose a rod.

No-but I have gone swimming a few times.
Fly boxes~saltwater rods.lol
rent a row boat.

Thought this may be a good time to see if I liked the kayak. I don't like rowboats.

sorry-didn't mean to be a wiseguy-thought someone else was OP.
I am a kayaker down here in Florida but I use spinning gear.You aren't going to stand up and cast from a kayak so it will cut your distance considerably.

I don't need the distance if I'm on the waer. I'll just tie it off loosely to my wrist. Thanks.
Just wondering , who else would I have been?

row jimmy had the post below you-thought it was him-sorry
Kayaks are fun-in a lake or pond you want the type you paddle with your feet if they have one to try.

Keith, I tried a lanyard on my fly rod, but took it off in short time. Really was a hassle when stripping fly line into your lap. Having said that, a rod holder is a must in my opinion. One that secures the rod from becoming dislodged is best (Scotty makes a good one for fly rods). My rod goes into the holder anytime it's not in my hand.

A paddle leash/lanyard is a good idea if you don't have a place to lock in the paddle. When you're fishing from a kayak, often times you'll want to maneuver the boat for a better cast without having to put the rod down. With a little practice this can be done with one hand on the paddle. But it does leave the probability of dropping it in the drink pretty high. While most paddles float, it's tough to go after it if you can't paddle to it.

peace-tony c.

Back