Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

Re: KETTLE CREEK TACKLE SHOP

From Johnstown, PA
CHAZ.............WHAT'S STUPID? YER POST?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 7:57

From Harrisburg
Its just hard to understand his post. I read it a couple times and I THINK I have a feel for what hes trying to say.
Mostly just praise and a trip down Kettle memory lane?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 9:59

From Chester County
I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but I think either online Tourette's or a bottle of Wild Turkey was in play with this thread.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 10:36

From Johnstown, PA
I once took a bus from Harrisburg to Johnstown , went up through State College , a guy with Tourettes got on in Lewistown and was still Quacking like a duck when i got off in Johnstown , it was the wildest bus ride i was ever on. A girl started laughing around Tyrone by the time we got to Cresson it was madness , the driver had no idea what was going on.....unreal!!!

Posted on: 2010/1/9 10:49

From Gunpowder River, MD
Kettle is a great fishery..Last time I was up there fished cross fork, hendricksons over stockers below the bridge..Love it up there..Always heard great things about the kettle fly shop..Do they still have bamboo on disply there, and for sale?

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:00

From Emigrant, Mt
The Kettle creek area is a very special place. I used to bow hunt up in Potter and get over and fish Kettle on some of the afternoons. I was in junior high when my dad first took me into the Kettle Creek fly shop. We bought some streamers and then I even managed to catch a couple fish.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 11:40

I have fished Kettle Creek a long time also, since around 1970, and I was in the area a few times even earlier, in the late 60s, when I was a kid, before I got into flyfishing. And I'm interested in some of the history. Who was this "riverkeeper" and what is meant by "riverkeeper?" What did he do?

What do you guys remember about the guy who fed the deer? I have a vague memory of that, probably from the late 60s. We were staying at a camp of a friend of my father, and in the evening he drove us over there to see the deer. It was near dusk and there were lots of deer coming out of the woods and walking down through cleared areas down towards Kettle Creek. I heard that there was a guy who fed the deer there every evening, but I don't know any of the details. Do you recall just where this was? Was this in the special regulations area, somewhere near where the pond is now?

Also, does anyone know the story about a big trout they called Old Torpedo? This was a huge brown that lived in the big swimming hole up on Hammersley Fork. An old-timer told me that some guys drove up there at night and got that trout with a pitchfork, and that someone in the area still has that trout mounted on their wall.

Also, if anyone knows the logging history of the area, specifically the locations of old splash dams and mill dams, on Kettle and/or Cross Fork Creeks, please let me know.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 12:13

From harlansburg
someone please pass max the medicinal maryjane!!
and yes, I know phils shop, don't get that way often enough though.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 12:42

From wellsboro
Two comments here, first off, if you write non sense no one can understand, it apparently gets a lot of attention. Second off, TB, a guy I know at work has some info on the guy who used to feed the deer, send me a PM, reminding me to ask, and I will get his name and where he fed the deer. I know he has a picture hanging in his office and if he cannot answer my questions I know someone who can. I could probably find more on the history of the area and logging, ut it will take more time, also specifics may be harder to come by.

As for Kettle Creek, I live twenty minutes away and don't waste my time on most of it. It is a great distraction for people from downstate who want to chase stockies, even cross fork is going that way with increased stocking. The Hammersly is overrated, you can drive half way up it and people four wheel, illegally, all over the entire wild area including throughout the stream bottoms.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 13:46

From Emigrant, Mt
For anyone interested in the history of Potter co and the Black Forest there are a couple good paper backs. They are sub-titled "Strange Events in the Black Forest". vol 1 is "Fobidden Land" and vol 2 is, "Amazing Indeed". The author is Robert R. Lyman.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 13:52

From New Castle, PA
What kind of "Strange Events"????? Or is this one of those deals where the titles are the best part of the book? (j/k)

Kev

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:02

From Emigrant, Mt
PennKev, it has been so long since I have read these books that I can not remember too much. What I do remember though is that they are a collection of weird happenings and local tales.

I do not even know if they are available on Amazon, but they should be in some stores in Potter Co.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:13

From wellsboro
I am fairly certain there is an order form for them in the Leader Enterprise. Also, see similar books in some of the local stores. Never read them myself, but I did watch the video on the Austin flood.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:23

From Carlisle, Pa
The guy that use to feed the deer they called him Slim and he feed the deer in a feed outside Cross Fork headed towards Ole Bull. I have a picture in my place of him feeding the deer. My wife and I bought a place up there around three years ago however we have been going to my father-laws hunting camp for many years. If you want some more info send me a PM I did not know him or every see him feed the deer but my wifes parents have and they have been been going to Cross Forks since 1954. I'm in Cross Forks almost every weekend so if my family does not have the info you are looking for I can find it out for you.
Justin

Posted on: 2010/1/9 14:37

From Johnstown, PA
Harry Chittister sp? was the waterways patrolman who spent alot of time at the area around Bunnell Pines , rt144 bridge over Kettle creek , he was a great guy (i think i heard he passed away) he was a great fly fisher and tier and was willing to share if you asked. I call him a "Riverkeeper" cause that's what i think he was.

Posted on: 2010/1/9 16:50

« 1 (2) 3 4 5 ... 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com