Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

Re: KETTLE CREEK TACKLE SHOP
From Monessen, PA
I am glad this thread was dredged up and supplemented because I was beginning to feel a little too sane and needed this shot of insanity. It's a shame you can only creel 5 trout nowadays. I remember when a rope with 30 fish strung along it like pantaloons on an Amish clothesline was the measure of a successful outing. Those were the days, my friend; I thought they'd never end.... I mean:

THOSE WERE THE DAYS MY FRIEND; I THOUGHT THEY'D NEVER END....

Posted on: 2010/8/31 11:00

From Eastern PA
Jeeez, I had not even noticed that this madness was an astronomical bump. Thanks for the head space!

Posted on: 2010/8/31 11:03

I guess I missed this thread when it came up before (not surprising since I've not been around much). Once I got past the weirdness, it brought back a lot of memories. Dryflyguy, like you I learned to flyfish on Kettle (and Cross Fork) in the early 80s . I remember Harry Chitester the retired WCO "patrolling" at the bridge, and Stoney at the Cross Fork Tackle Shop (when Baldachino's was the "new" place). Stoney was a quirky guy, but he knew a lot about fly fishing and was always very kind to me as kid. He had a way of leaning over the counter and talking in these hushed tones like he was telling you a big secret. Of course he loved to talk and his business was selling flies and tackle, so I have to assume most of that stuff was repeated multiple times. Not all of it though, I think. And wasn't Deb's Place "Footes Inn" then? I have not been back there in maybe 20 years - really need to go again. Kettle had gone down hill even before I stopped fishing it. Most of the fish were stocked as far back as I remember, but I used to catch largish (like 9 inches) wild brookies in some spots not too far above the 144 bridge. I don't think that happens anymore.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 11:35

From Mount Joy, PA
Long live "LittleJuniata"!!!

Posted on: 2010/8/31 12:41

Oh man, sometimes I forget how powerful anti-psychotics can be.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:10

Quote:

markthinkstoomuch wrote:
By the way, if any of the Kinneys are still around (Kim, Debbie) they would know where to find pictures and more information. And, Harry Kinney wrote a book on the glory days of Crossfork. On the logging railroads, etc., The hollow at 41°31'3.85"N 77°45'10.89"W was surely rich when I was a kid. I cut the end of my thumb off up there fooling around with some old railroad iron.

Kinneys still have a store and tavern in Cross Fork, and still have that history book for sale.

What do you mean the hollow was "rich", and which hollow?

I've seen some old logging railroad rails still out there along the streams, but only in a few places. Most of them were apparently removed. The old logging rr grades are still very noticeable though.

That lodge is fixed up very nice, it's a real classy looking camp, but I don't know the owners. The pond is still there across the road.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 13:45

"Harry Chittister sp? was the waterways patrolman who spent alot of time at the area around Bunnell Pines , rt144 bridge over Kettle creek , he was a great guy (i think i heard he passed away) he was a great fly fisher and tier and was willing to share if you asked. I call him a "Riverkeeper" cause that's what i think he was."

I had the pleasure of fishing with Harry a few times in the 70's. We traded flies, and if I dig deep enough, I could find a streamer that he tied. I think he told me he was originally from Holidaysburg. And I fed the deer at Slim Croyle's. John (can't remember his last name) owned the Cross Fork Hotel. He delivered lumber, sand, stone, and cement to my land down near the dam when I built the foundation and flooring for my cabin.

Today, fishing in the Kettle Creek Valley is a shadow of what it was in the 60's and 70's. It was fantastic.

Posted on: 2010/8/31 21:54

From North Central PA
Ok who found the crop of Shrooms in Picture Rocks?

Posted on: 2010/9/1 7:35

From SE PA
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

markthinkstoomuch wrote:
By the way, if any of the Kinneys are still around (Kim, Debbie) they would know where to find pictures and more information. And, Harry Kinney wrote a book on the glory days of Crossfork. On the logging railroads, etc., The hollow at 41°31'3.85"N 77°45'10.89"W was surely rich when I was a kid. I cut the end of my thumb off up there fooling around with some old railroad iron.

Kinneys still have a store and tavern in Cross Fork, and still have that history book for sale.

I've seen some old logging railroad rails still out there along the streams, but only in a few places. Most of them were apparently removed. The old logging rr grades are still very noticeable though.

That lodge is fixed up very nice, it's a real classy looking camp, but I don't know the owners. The pond is still there across the road.

My father was an old logging railroad fan and collected a number of books on the old trams in central Pa. There were some old roadbeds running out of Laurelton north onto the mountains near my camp. I've noticed if you go onto Google map view at certain zoom levels using the sat mode you can see the roadbed paths. This is because the trees growing on the paths are different from the trees adjacent to the path. Probably due to the roadbed being packet and the tree growth being somewhat stunted. I've seen this effect on other areas while looking for fishing spots back in the mountains. Thought I'd pass that along in case you're interested in that type of history.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 8:44

Quote:

franklin wrote:
Quote:

troutbert wrote:
Quote:

markthinkstoomuch wrote:

My father was an old logging railroad fan and collected a number of books on the old trams in central Pa. There were some old roadbeds running out of Laurelton north onto the mountains near my camp. I've noticed if you go onto Google map view at certain zoom levels using the sat mode you can see the roadbed paths. This is because the trees growing on the paths are different from the trees adjacent to the path. Probably due to the roadbed being packet and the tree growth being somewhat stunted. I've seen this effect on other areas while looking for fishing spots back in the mountains. Thought I'd pass that along in case you're interested in that type of history.

Those logging railroad books are still available. They are interesting reading and not very expensive. Slate Run Store has the book for that area. Otto Bookstore in Williamsport has them, probably all the titles. I believe there are about a half dozen of them, for different parts of the state.

I do a lot of fishing in the state forest and gameland areas and most of the streams have logging railroad grades along them. I look for them not just for historical interest, but after fishing up the creek, they are often the easiest path to hike back down the valley. Sometimes they are in the floodplain of the creek, and often cross back and forth across the stream. And sometimes they are on the sidehill above the creek.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 10:03

While not exactly about the Kettle or Pine area there is a book you might enjoy if you are enjoying this thread on the local peeps.

The People Of Penns Woods West by Lee Gutkind.

It has been several years since I have read it but covers little colorful towns and people of the Penns Woods.

Posted on: 2010/9/1 13:06

Yes, Harry Chittester passed away probably around 1993. Bob
Runk passed away also. So did the guy that ran The Orvis Shop
in the town of Cross Fork, I will remeber his name later.I fished
the Kettle alot in the mid-70's up to 1993. I took a recent trip in 2011 Fall and the water level was very, very low.It was un-fishable!!!

Posted on: 2013/8/28 12:43

From Lansdale
A 4 year-old thread ??

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:14

From Fairborn, OH
Quote:

Mariner wrote:
I'm still on my first cup of coffee, but I think either online Tourette's or a bottle of Wild Turkey was in play with this thread.

For a minute there, I thought an actual wild turkey had been pecking away at a keyboard on someone's tenament PC. That said, I just googled some pics from Kettle Creek and it's indeed a beautiful stretch of water.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:19

From Mont Co, Pa
Quote:

KeithS wrote:
A 4 year-old thread ??

My thought exactly.

Posted on: 2013/8/28 15:38

« 1 2 3 (4) 5 6 7 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com