Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

(1) 2 3 »

Just call me Lefty....

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Torn rotator cuff muscle. Been nursing it along for a while now. MRI last week, follow up today. 4 to 6 month full recovery. I am fairly proficient casting with my left arm but.... Well this is gonna suck. I'm a carpenter I need my arm. I'm pretty sure I did it right after the 1st of the year. I down loaded an app the measures inertia and the first thing I did was put fone in hand and throw a punch. Thought I could bring it back around by starting to lift weights again. Went pretty well for 3 month or so but when I bumped up to bench presses at 90lb reps... Well that was a fail. Yes well. Now I just need to figure out when to have it done. I guess I'll finish up the project I'm on and bite the bullet. Just call me Lefty!

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:02

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

Re: Just call me Lefty....

I thought I was going to have to go the surgical route, but a couple of cortisone shots have worked pretty well for me, though I could not now throw a baseball correctly. I can shoot a basketball all right, and my casting (which certainly is not of Dave Rothrock caliber) is about as good as it ever was, so I'm not biting any surgical bullets till I have to. Same with my right knee: Synvisc every 6 months has been working, and the doc says I can get these shots indefinitely, so why go through a knee replacement if I don't have to.

Anyhow, maybe you could give cortisone a try in your shoulder.

Good luck.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 20:54

From Mount Joy, PA
What kind of rating did you get for the punch?

Posted on: 2013/6/25 21:19

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
What kind of rating did you get for the punch?

Off scale... Or at least thats what I saw... I had tears in my eyes....Lol! It was up toward the top of the scale. I have no clue how accurate they really are. I knew somebody was gonna ask that question. I guess I'm not a kid any more although I still act like one every now n then. Doc told me that if I had hit a heavy bad I probably wouldn't have had the tear. Just a broken hand.

rrt

Yeah I still have that option to go the shot deal. I have kneasles.... In other words my knees are ^&@d. Catcher in baseball. Ice hockey, roofer,etc. I have had shots for my knee issues and they work but not for very long. I'm still think'n it through. Thanks for the input.

Posted on: 2013/6/25 21:40

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

I injured my rotator cuff 4-5 years back. I was in my late 30s. I couldn't even lift my arm to place a dish on a high shelf. I rehabbed it and was back playing hoops within 2 months, but I still had significant discomfort at times. It took over a year until I was close to 100%. I still do the same rehab exercises every week. I never got a cortisone shot in the shoulder, but I have had cortisone shots in the bone spurs on both feet on numerous occasions. Getting old is a drag. Good luck. Hope you can avoid surgery...

Posted on: 2013/6/25 23:36

From Lansdale
I've been waiting to have my right shoulder done, also. Though I work in the office now, it's still hard to find even 6 weeks to be able to be one-armed. At this point, it'll be fixed in September or october.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 5:58

From Lititz/Huntingdon
I know I have a couple of ways to go here. The down time is a big factor. I know I could baby it along and just not go at things so hard but, I still want to be able to lift weights and act like I'm still 40 something even at 50 something. I find my left arm being stressed out and getting sore from all the extra use I'm putting on it now. Getting a good nights sleep is a problem without a hand full of Aleve... Wish I could just go to NAPA and get new parts! Thanks for all the input guys. I'll keep ya posted.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 6:52

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Pittsburgh
I also had rotator cuff surgery about 5 years ago.
I conveniently scheduled it for early january - when I don't fish anyway.
And was able to get back fishing by march - although I sure couldn't cast very well at that time. I just fished smaller streams, and did a lot of wrist casting.
But things eventually came around, and by that summer I got most of my arm motion back.

Good luck

Posted on: 2013/6/26 7:12

From Mount Joy, PA
Quote:

FiveWeight wrote:
I knew somebody was gonna ask that question.

Sorry about that. I couldn't help myself.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 8:21

From Central Maryland
I had a major labrum tear and partial rotator cuff tear in highschool. I got surgery on the labrum about a year and a half ago and then did rehab for the entire shoulder and upper back afterwards. Shoulder injuries are terrible. I still wouldn't call myself at 100%, and I'd be wary of any shoulder surgeries. Most of my friends have torn their labrums for a second time after surgery. Don't know anyone that's had exclusively rotator cuff surgery, but the 4-6 months thing sounds pretty optimistic on recovery. Try physical therapy/rehab and see where it takes you.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 11:55

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

wgmiller wrote:
Quote:

FiveWeight wrote:
I knew somebody was gonna ask that question.

Sorry about that. I couldn't help myself.

Hey, I would'a asked it myself! No prob.

Posted on: 2013/6/26 15:00

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Whitehall, PA
Rotator cuff is a broad term to describe where four muscles come together to give the ability to "rotate" your arm in a 360 degree circle. Tears can occur anywhere in the cuff area causing pain and weakness, and can vary in size. A true torn rotator cuff can only be repaired by surgery. Strengthening the muscles adjacent to the tear can help (therapy) and pain can temporarily be reduced with steroids. But if you want long term relief and ability, surgery is probably the best option. Only your DR can tell you the best path after reviewing the MRI.

My tear was described as a 2x2 tear. I scheduled my surgery for the end of October so I could have six months of Winter to rehab and go through PT. Having discussed recovery times with people that I knew had RC surgery I expected around six months, just in time to start fly fishing. One friend required a full year until he wasn't thinking about his shoulder. His was a complete disconnect of the RC.

Good luck if you have surgery, stay the course with the PT group you go to and be ready for a lot of baby steps with the shoulder recovery. Do not get manly and try to exceed the suggestions of the PT group. They know what they're doing - and what may happen if you go too heavy with the exercises/lifting.

Jeff

Posted on: 2013/6/26 16:55

First, I never post on here because I am never right and everyone tells me why, But.. 61 year old auto mechanic, avid fly fisher / spin surf too.. Right shoulder problems for years, then unable to sleep. First surgery Oct. 2011. Second surgery Oct. 2012. Now retired. I can now fish for trout, 3 or 5 weight.
Second, phisical therapy is your friend forever. As is ice.
Third, if you ruined the right shoulder, the left is not much better. When put into piimary service after a surgery it will fail.
I am still doing about an hour of exercising daily. Both arms. You gotta keep things even.
I was told I would be back to work in 4 months. What I learned was, choose your doctor(s) well, and your phisical therapist even better. Once they get inside a shoulder with the knives, scrapers, bone grinders and strings, it might be better, but will never be like it was when you were young.
I've already caught my glory fish on a fly. If my future is a 5 wt. I can be happy with that. Good luck!!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 17:17

I think PENZZZ and I had the same surgeon. It is "Baby Steps" afterward!!!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 17:21

Quote:

shadspoon wrote:
First, I never post on here because I am never right and everyone tells me why, But..

+1. You win the internet!

Posted on: 2013/6/26 20:46
it said, "Goodbye."
Richard Armour

(1) 2 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes 95% (139)
No 0% (0)
Thinking about it 4% (6)
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll closed at 2014/10/31 17:56
1 Comment

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com