Register now on PaFlyFish.com! Login
HOME FORUM BLOG PHOTOS LINKS

Sponsors

Browsing this Thread:   1 Anonymous Users

« 1 (2) 3 »

Re: Just call me Lefty....

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Well surgery... 11:30 this morning. There is no good time to be without full use of your arm for 6 month.... May as well do it now. I can cast well left handed but, that right now is the least of my worries. Lets go with lack of income on the top of the list.... It's been greatly diminished as it is because of the pain in my right shoulder. Try installing drywall with this kinda pain in your shoulder. Hell, just swing'n a hammer is outta the question. I still seem to be pretty good at tell'n the guys what to do and when to do it tho....Hopefully I'll be back here at the ranch later on thisafter. 73 de n3hqn signing off. In other words, see you'ns guys down the line.

Posted on: 2013/7/10 9:27

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZif22PVohg

The four most effective weapons for taking anothers possessions:
4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

Good luck; hope it goes well. Do your rehab faithfully. When I blew out a knee at 46 (am now 63), I had surgery in December and was back on the water by April and still play basketball (slowly). I did my rehab religiously.

Anyhow, best wishes for successful surgery.

rich

Posted on: 2013/7/10 14:12

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Thanks rrt. All went well with the surgery. The pain now is the nerve block that deadened top of shoulder to hand. leaving arm dead so to speak. double edged sword at this point tho. as that wears off the pain in the shoulder is come'n
on stronger. But thats what the hillbilly heroin/oxycodone is for... it is kinda nice to have absolutely no pain in ones body after those bad boys kick in! thanks for your concern Rich.

Posted on: 2013/7/11 7:19

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Whitehall, PA
Good luck fiveweight, hope the pain doesn't get too bad. For some reason pain kicked in 4AM morning after the surgery and I thought I was going to lose dinner. But after sitting upright for awhile and taking some Motrin it passed. After that I was able to get by without pain meds. Tough part is being idle for six weeks until you're finally able to use the arm. But slowly everything will come together.
Jeff

Posted on: 2013/7/11 22:47

From South East PA
Good Luck FiveWeight!! de n3eog qrz!!

Posted on: 2013/7/12 8:32

Now that you are a couple days after surgery, I hope the pain is easing up. No fun, but with time, you'll heal up.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 12:08

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Quote:

rrt wrote:
Now that you are a couple days after surgery, I hope the pain is easing up. No fun, but with time, you'll heal up.

none or very few caps in this message... don't feel like moving right arm to hit shift. if i don't keep up on the meds the pain can be mind numbing. i may have even given this description on how this is going on the thread already. i would imagine that this is what it feels like to be shot in the upper arm. i can keep the pain at bay but the result is me not being fit for anything social in anyway shape or form. i enjoy being tuned just as much as the next guy but this is nuts. i go see doc tomorrow am. i've talked to a friend of mine who is also a dr... he is not surprised in the least that i have the level of pain that i have. his advice was to take the meds stay numb till the pain drops. kick back and relax. wow, what a way to go through life. i can't imagine what it would be like to have chronic pain and be on these kinda meds or stronger all the time. i gotta go.... now, where did i put those pills?

Posted on: 2013/7/14 20:02

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

5wt, dont take this the wrong way but be careful with those oxy's . I know a couple of guys who got a little too dependent on them. Good luck with your rehab and recovery.

Posted on: 2013/7/14 22:08

From Lititz/Huntingdon
yeah on being careful... well it's not like i can keep getting them after they say no mo. well i guess i could buy, c'mon. like i'm gonna head into lancaster n start buy'n heroin. great little pill but it'd be nuts to be on it all the time. i mean, i do try and live in the real world as much as possible. thanks for the advice tho, not taken the wrong way at all.... head'n out to see doc this morning. pain is better but still ruff.

Posted on: 2013/7/15 6:58

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

With the OXY, eat fruit and drink water constantly if nobody told you! Keeps things moving.. Good luck and "baby steps". 8 months since my surgery, close trout fishing is no problem.

Posted on: 2013/7/16 9:02

From Lititz/Huntingdon
Well the pain of the surgery is down to a dull roar. Into the 4th physical therapy session and that pain is almost on par with surgery pain for a day or so afterwards. Things get better everyday but, it's going to be a pretty good stretch till I can do the things I need and want to do. My free weight bench looks like a clothes rack at this point. Hope somebody was out on the water today. What a day it was!

Posted on: 2013/7/30 17:13

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Whitehall, PA
Fiveweight,
Continued best wishes on the therapy and pain management. I'm nine months post-op and feeling great. Early days on the trout stream and mountain bike made me wonder if I was really recovering. But as of now both are no problem and I have no strength problems (dead zones). Summer and into Fall must be a difficult time to be going through the process but you can look forward to a good Winter workout and fly tying season then good as new fighting fish in April.

I was able to manage without pain meds, but friends who used them for things like knee replacements told me that cutting back will take time. You're hooked in a pretty short timeframe and even when you cut to half dose you'll experience withdrawal symptoms. As always, follow therapist and doctor orders to a T.

Regards,
Jeff

Posted on: 2013/8/3 17:54

From Lititz/Huntingdon
PENZZZ,

Pain is subsiding on a daily basis. Nights are still a bit rough and right after PT and following day. I only take the oxy right after PT and maybe that night to get sleep. Just a nasty, nasty drug. I'm pretty sure that is a project that God and the Devil worked together on.... The Poppy plant! Double edged sword for certain. It would blow to have to be on a drug like that all the time for chronic pain. It's getting better everyday but I know I have a long way to go as far as range of motion and strength. Thanks for giving me the info that you have. As far as it being a tough time of year to do this. Well, I kind of figured that there was no good time to do without 100% use of my arm for 6/7/8 months. Just do it now and get it over with. Thanks again for your knowledge and insight on the matter. I'll keep you posted.

Posted on: 2013/8/4 11:20

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Lititz/Huntingdon
All going well here. Have 80/85% range of motion back again. Some pain in the motion but I can live with most of it. I'm starting to wonder if I'll ever be able to pull a gun from the small of my back again but I can at least tuck a shirt in again. Started light strength training and have been doing some casting in the yard. Shoulder/arm does act up a bit after being used but nothing Aleve and Bourbon can't fix. So far the worst part of the whole deal was weening myself off the damned heroin pain meds. Nasty little drug. I up and stopped taking it about 2 1/2 weeks ago and my body just went in to revolt on me. So I thought I would just start tapering off slowly. It worked. Took week aqnd a half or so but when I got down to snap'n pills in half and talking a total of one a day. I finally thought ok, If I can go 48+ hours without anything I've got it made. Tough going but I'm at day 6 right now and feel'n good. If you or any one you know is put on these heavy duty pain meds, just do what ya gotta do not to have pain but don't be embarrassed if you wind up with a problem. Either talk to your Dr or just set up a plan of attack and give the pills to your wife and tell her to dole um out when she sees you get'n close to the edge. And most of all. Fight it, fight it hard. It's tough.

Head'n to camp mid way thru next week. Plan on hit'n Spruce, The LJ and a few others. Looking forward to get'n back out on the water.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:45

4) knife
3) gun
2) lawyer
1) politician

From Ephrata, PA
85% is a pretty good range considering how recently your surgery was. Glad to hear you'll be back on the water this week.

Posted on: 2013/8/23 12:50

« 1 (2) 3 »

You can view topic.
You cannot start a new topic.
You cannot reply to posts.
You cannot edit your posts.
You cannot delete your posts.
You cannot add new polls.
You cannot vote in polls.
You cannot attach files to posts.
You cannot post without approval.

[Advanced Search]

Site Content
Login
Username:

Password:

Remember me

Lost Password?

Register now!
Stay Connected

twitterfeed.com facebook instagram RSS Feed

Sponsors
Polls
Will you be fly fishing this autumn?
Yes
No
Thinking about it
_PL_TOTALVOTES
The poll will close at 2014/10/31 17:56
Comments?

Copyright 2014 by PaFlyFish.com | Privacy Policy| Provided by Kile Media Group | Design by 7dana.com